1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Companions for Single player Online

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Nick, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Since we have the tech for offline, could we have something similar for single players online?

This could help players who prefer to play alone, but wishes to attempt more difficult tiers.

I have this new refreshing idea.... why not have 8 of these companions that you can find in 8 different NPC towns. Each of these companion have his own unique built (and virtue). We can a fighter built guy call Jeoffrey in Point West, LoLo the Bard in Brookside etc..... Meaning, you can have up companions of different builds. (water, fire, blades, polearms...etc) or even a thief from spite, who randomly steals for you in combat.

You will first need to get a party whistle (a quest maybe), which can call up to a max of 3 party members. Visit the towns for the Companions to join your party whistle. Whistle can only be used in a Private (solo) adventure scene. XP gained in combat will be divided by number of companions. You will have to pay to upkeep party members on a daily basis (gold sink? or they take a cut of your loots. Maybe they keep the spoons while you just keep the gold?) Once you leave the scene, they disappear and go back into the whistle. If you wish to swap party member in the whistle, you gotta visit the NPC town to hire him or her, and select the party member you wish to be dismissed.

We could have 1 new companion per month until all 8 (or more) are created. Maybe a stretch goal for 1 companion each month at 80k. We can even start off with Ariel, Dupre and Fiona, since their build is already defined and they are working in offline mode.

2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would guess for offline more companions to choose from would be an option and is maybe even already planned for each new episode but for the online part…I don’t know if that would be a good idea as this finally would encourage avatars to interact lesser with other avatars.

3. titania9

titania9 Avatar

This might be a great incentive for finishing the quests series. I think they could help us with some chores:

• Looting
    • Minor quests (delivering mail)
    • Helping us complete quests
    • Combat, Healing
    • Crafting
    • Event reminders
    There could be some built-in penalty for delegating things, but the benefit of handling a lot of different tasks at once would be great.

I think the companion would be a great way to prompt us to finish tasks in-game and help draw us into the world as well.

Nick likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This would help those of us who like to tackle
    The big bosses alone but the big bosses were programmed for group. For many of us that means we will never get those rare blueprints online. Unless we pay for one through the asp on the secondhand store.

Cirsee, Astirian, Nick and 1 other person like this.
  5. jaspericus

jaspericus Avatar

I do agree that in solo online mode should be looked at, not all of us have the time or real life situations ideal for getting a group together, i mean heck its hard enough with true MMOs, and after all this was originally put forward as a 'single player rpg' (straight from the front of the box) we should be able to have at least all 4 of the companions, as per offline mode, with us at the same time . This would mean we can also experience the player created material which in turn may encourage people to try the MMO aspect instead of abandoning the game altogether as too tough?

Bedawyn likes this.
  6. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

People who choose to play in single-player are ALREADY interacting less with other avatars, by choice. People who enjoy multiplayer pick multiplayer. People who don't enjoy multiplayer just end up being pissy and stressed out when we're forced into it. Believing me, if I can be a patch behind, I will be and you'll never see me. When I can't be a patch behind -- you don't WANT to see me, because I'm guaranteed to be in a bad mood.

The lack of companions doesn't encourage us to do what we're not comfortable with or don't want to do, it just limits our access to all the content. In fact, having AI companions would make it EASIER for many of us to interact with other avatars, because we'd be able to practice party mechanics on our own ahead of time.

[EDIT: Didn't notice the necropost. Ah well, it's still an ongoing issue...]

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

Taming, summons? ))

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

:) Just a few days before I wrote some feedback about Shuttered Eye and issues for players following the main paths ...

There are still moments, following the main paths, where a player needs help.
    - Even we can use "looking for group" - it's not easy to find people exactly at that moment, when we have time to play!
    - and of course, there are people who like to play by their own

--> We still have 3 companions in game (offline). I don't know if there is any reason not to provide the possibility for single online.
    --> AND: On the path of love, Samael is still doing a good job two times to help: in Midras Ruins and in Malice! (
    I suggested Samael also should help us with Shuttered Eye, unlikely they change the scene!
    BUT: If we could hire Companions, like in offline mode, all would be fine :)

It would be very helpful to change modes into how they worked before:
    - single player online without forcing into multiplayer mode, like promised ('selective' ...)
    [Not only @Browncoat Jayson told about friends who left because of this change :( ... I don't think, the population of Novia would change much!]

And additonal please provide the possibility to use Companions like in offline mode also in single player online :)
    No extra effort, it already exists ...

@Lord British, @DarkStarr, would you please consider this change to make a lot of people happy (again)? :)

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

To be fair, some MMOs tackle population loss by creating mercenaries (companions) to adventure with you and yes above and beyond a pet summons or ranger like pet. That may be of help to many of us.

10. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I do play SotA most of the time solo too but more or less because of the environment. I do not like to participate in content I’m too weak for as I want to partake as a useful help and not feel like a drag who better takes cover. ;)
    But back to the topic, as some high end player are showing us every day all content is playable solo. This means all we need to do is to get equally strong to be able to play everything solo too. But as playing solo in smaller periods is obviously less effective we are talking about several years to reach that point…if you don’t like to wait that long you normally have to play together with others as the content is simply designed to be played that way in the online-part of the game. And comparing the offline mode with the online mode is to compare apples and oranges...they are basically the same but also complete different.
    Implementing companions as a bypass still seem to be not that good but if there are specific rules to avoid misuse as much as possible and make the usage of companions expensive but not overpriced I guess this could be an option even if that means that more avatars are again adventuring in SPO resulting in lesser visible activity which is generally not good.
    I guess the most difficult part would be the power of companions. In offline it doesn't matter if they are strong but in the online part they are competing with avatars and a group of avatars should always be the better choice in the online version.

11. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Took me a few months to get my levels up enough to get into the shuttered eye. Then a few months figuring out how to get Samael back to where I needed him several times. Then a few more weeks of leveling up and now I am stuck in Malice Dungeon where I can kill just about everything. but again Samael is missing and can't be summoned and I can't find Sequanna because I can't get through that barrier.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

1. You have a whistle to summon Samael. May be two of them, only one works!
    2. to shut down the barrier you need to find 3 skeletons --> their head is cut off from the body. There are also 3 scrolls with information ...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.