Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Very true but for the multiplayer part Id hate to see someone run around with a companion + summoned elemental + tamed pet, it should be just either one of them

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, I think that is one of the main problems. How to handle the companions in the multiplayer mode?
    I wouldn't mind if the companions would just be NPCs in online mode that can not join you but still give hints and you can learn more about them. But in single player they join you and support you. This way you would have a party of companions in single player mode and a party of real players in online mode and you would not miss out on what the "companions" have to tell you.

3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I like how Old Republic handled them. One at a time, but each one could be swapped out and had different "specialities". Allowing the player to customize their appearance, wardrobe and skillset would take care of any problem with "sameness". Would be something nice to see implemented in Shroud.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

No, it just shows a difference in opinion of what a companion is. People talk about taming as a acceptable substitute, when in reality is nothing of the sort.

So this is just an MMO now?

Sir Cabirus, Margard and Joviex like this.
  5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

This is not UO. And there is a Solo OFFLINE /ONLINE way to play the game, so anyone playing the MMO does not have to recruit them.

Caliya, Sir Cabirus and Joviex like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Of course it would get a negative reaction you are wanting MMO NPC slave's to do your gathering, I want Single player RPG companions.

Caliya and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's curious there has been quite a few of companion threads and non of them have had any of the dev's comment on them....it makes me a bit nervous:(

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Both are a form of pet, and both will probably have similar commands.

Guard me. Guard target. Patrol. Stop. Follow me. Follow target. Attack target.

Companions will no doubt be more chatty, but functionally, both will be similar.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm curious...have you played the original games? I can't remember if you had or not.

I don't even care if they had those commands, would actually prefer they did what they wanted, like a npc and acted on an AI for their personality.

Sir Cabirus and Joviex like this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you want them to be of use in taking down bosses in Single Player, you should hope for the commands I suggested and more. Other than that, like I say, they are just a chatty pet. Interesting no doubt, and maybe even useful if they offer clues, but a pet nonetheless.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

So when can I expect to have cannibal companions? :D

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um, no.

You avoided the first question.

If all they are is a pet then it's a failure. You are looking at them purely as a tool...how can they do this so you can do that. They offeropurtunities to role play as well as having thoughts of their own...will they defend you? will they run away? This is the difference I was mentioning between those that understand them from the ultima games and ultima online(orany mmo for that matter).

Sir Cabirus, Margard and Joviex like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not my area of interest. You are welcome to it. We'll see what they come up with.

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Companions are good for single player RPGs. I would just like to hear about how it would work in multi player.

So if I find a wayward villain in the woods with his pants down, so to speak, do I need to be concerned about a tamed bear AND a companion lurking in the bushes?

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

They would have to be villainous companions. > : )

But in practice I don't see how its different than a villain going out with a party of other villains.

16. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

@Owain & @rune_74
    Ever play dragons dogma? That's kinda how the companions should be to not feel like a pep and have their own personality and tactics instead of telling them what to do. It would definitely give the single player a style of complexity. Then I would rather companions of the such to not be aloud in the multiplayer or open world play style.

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree. That makes perfect sense. But from a balance perspective, it would mean that everyone would have to both train a bear and have a companion to be on a reasonably equal footing. Just wondering if the multiplayer game will become a totally companion / animal driven game if so. Not saying that's bad, so long as there is a large range of choices. Else the town guards may wonder why there are so many bears in town.

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

why? you can have a party which could be other players or it could be companions. Completly different from summoned spells and tamed pets

Look how Baldur's Gate 2 handled it, you had a set party size and that could be characters you made\multiplayer characters or it could be companions from inside the game

Caliya, Sir Cabirus and Joviex like this.
  19. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

In R8 you had a group of 4 people all using fire elementals so that made it a party of 8 things to fight I find that pretty lame tbh

20. Kraxtor

Kraxtor Avatar

Companions were discussed during Kickstarter, and I sincerely hope we see them. I personally enjoy games with companions more so than without. However, I have no idea how they would work in a MMO world. SW:TOR had an interesting approach, but I don't think we're looking at electing only one companion at a time. I'd bet that a party of NPC companions will be relegated to Single Player mode. Which I, for one, would fully support. Let me have them, even if I can only have them with me in Single Player. Let me and my companions progress along the "single player story" together! Perhaps, when I venture to the Multiplayer MMO, they remain in a tavern, or loiter about my home, until once I again I head off without the support of Massive Multiplayer into the Single Player Abyss, and thus have need of my companions again.

Would that it were so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.