Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Curious, are you in the room with them? How do you know it isn't true? I really don't think you are in a position to say one way or the other. This may not be a large concern for some, but for others who invested a lot of time here it is. Especially since we have been really patient on the whole issue. No one is attacking them or saying they suck, but we are voicing our concerns which is totally allowed within these forums.

Caliya, Joviex and Margard like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

As FireLotus has said several times, they do not delete threads. They can change them (or entire sections of them) to only be visible to admins, but they retain all the threads so they can reference them internally. I'm sure this is what has happened.

Why would they do that? Perhaps they are cleaning up the threads in that section, or want to do a review on it. Maybe it was a mistake. But there is really no need to go doom-and-gloom. If they have made the decision that this is not something they can do, I will expect a post to reflect that. Until then, nothing to see here; move along.

3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

No, i completely understand.

I do want to know why you think that peoples concers are " dismissed " , just because we don't join on some kind of rampage? Just because i don't yell and scream about this specific topic, it means i dont care? That i don't want Companions?

Come on, you know better.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No!

The "pitchfork" approach is a direct result of players who decided to take that approach despite having already being given a real answer on the issue; despite having the development approach explained, despite knowing that game-play and design around the story is being kept under wraps to avoid spoilers.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't expect Devs to be constantly answering random forum questions.......they don't have the time! that is why the Q&A thread was created. Post your questions on there and if they are popular enough it will be put to the Devs and answered.

This kind of thread gets the attention of the Devs for all the wrong reasons.

Duke Raas, Sir Frank and Duke Arradin like this.
  5. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Some of you need to cool your jets.... :cool: There was never a "Companion" Sub-Forum to be removed.

I apologize for misspeaking here... see my explanation below.

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What? I know I posted in there. Was it a different name then?

Joviex likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm not yelling or screaming, thanks. I'm also a dev+ member.

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

*Two thumbs up, Boris style*

This, kind sir, is dismissive, and suggestive that our concerns are baseless. Nothing to see here.

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If the stretch goal is met, pets are definitely game mechanics.

But apart from that, these cosmetic things take mechanics (opening doors, allowing sequences, etc), not to mention time and resource intensive.

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

NPC's and Companions was in fact a sub-forum, under Quests and Lore under Game Features.

I assume it is now "merged" into the Avatars and NPCs.

Those items, Avatars and NPCs, are not the same as explicit "Companions" however one can argue semantics all day long.

Short story, yes there was a subforum:

[​IMG]

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thanks, thought I was losing my memory or something:p

Joviex likes this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I'm confused by this misleading statement.

Pk u and Joviex like this.
  13. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

To clarify...

The sub-forum in question was never deleted. I renamed it on October 21st to Avatars & NPC's, as that was more descriptive to the conversations within it (Companions are NPC's after all... and there was no mention of Avatars, which needed a place for discussion) and to match up with the related Bug forum. Honestly, it was such a minor change, I didn't even remember doing it till I checked the change log.

No content was removed or deleted, the title was simply updated. Feel free to head over there and confirm that the old posts are still there.

Net, Seth Ruin, Akiera and 5 others like this.
  14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

How does this relate to the existence of Companions in the game? Can you confirm that the plan (as outlined in the FAQ answer quoted earlier) is still the same?

15. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Funny, because it seemed like a very calm forum until you started these accusations. I don't read aggression, misinformation or pitchforking in this thread. I read a lot of questions and speculation, and simply wanting to know and not left in the dark.

Yes, it is simply true. If they are developing things that were not in the KS campaign, and not developing things they've discussed, that is a deviation from what people were lead to expect. It is spending time on things that were never originally planned, and delaying working on things that were planned. I'm presuming to appease big backers that want things a certain way.

Surely people can understand people wondering what happened and why the dev team is silent on the matter.

As for it not being developed yet, because it's still in alpha or pre-alpha, that's all fine. But factual discussion can still take place, and sincere inquiries and questions asked. But mostly, questions answered by people who actually know (the dev team).

Sir Cabirus and Joviex like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm not pitchforking anyone (contrary to the statement that a poster made that I am.) I am standing up for something I do believe should be in the game and seems to have taken a very distant back seat to the rest of the game. I've been here a long time and it seems I'm banging my head against a wall here, when even richard garriot seems to think differently on what made ultima 7 so good.

I've been a stout defender of this game since the kickstarter on many forums, that there is going to be these things in game. The changing of the name of the forums hit a sore spot that started a few months back with merged threads and comments that we were badgering the development staff. It really felt like the UO crowd was driving force behind this game, granted that many of the devs came from that period. I have kept generally quiet since then on the whole issue, this was just another nail that made me want some answers. Being patient is one thing, being constantly told to wait and see is another.

I would like to think my voice (and any others this concerns) has as much weight as others.

17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

The only thread I see on Companions, in a cursory look in the renamed thread, is locked. There didn't even seem to be any banter. Maybe older threads are locked to move on, I don't really know how they decide these things.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Let me say, I have searched the entire sub-forum and every single thread that discusses companions is locked. Those threads date back to February of last year. If no information has been forthcoming for the past 20 months, I can certainly see why people would be raising a concern about this topic.

Had I ever read those forums, I would've also chimed in that companions would be an awesome idea. In fact, if they actually develop them, it's the one thing that would make me interested in the game again.

But, I do not see it listed in the Kickstarter sales pitch. It may have been discussed elsewhere, but I don't see it in writing by the development team. Again, if anyone has it somewhere, I'm interested in seeing it (a link please?).

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Companions were not specifically mentioned during kickstarter. However, after much clamoring by the public, they did announce intentions to implement them. See the FAQ quoted in the last page or two.

Caliya likes this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Unfortunately, lack of clarification on this specific point brings us right back to the very beginning.

:(

Joviex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.