Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars, I am popping in here to remind everyone that you are NOT allowed re-post information from the Founders Blog/Dev+ areas of the forum here.

Net and Duke Raas like this.
  2. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

That's because there is no relation... I was simply trying to keep the forums organized and streamline a title. As always, when there is new information, it will be shared with you guys.

3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

This FAQ? (it's not there either)

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

no, the weekly FAQ in the founder's blog area. Apparently that was not supposed to be re-posted here, so all references to it have been removed.

Caliya likes this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Exactly. The sub forum description states:
    Therefore, the violating post has been removed. What happens in the Founder's Blog stays in the Founder's Blog. ;)

6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Can I ask a really stupid question then? =p

Why is the weekly Q&A that Mitch runs, which that question was ASKED, in a public forum, when the ANSWERS, go to a private one?

Or is the General Forums->Developer Depot also private?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/developer-depot.41/

7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Also, just so everyone is clear on it, RG answered questions and talked about companions in the Single Player Hang Out.

Currently companions are slightly above a generic NPC in actions and personality. The plan is to improve upon this over time. Time being in terms of episodes not releases.

So its nothing new, though more "focused" information also came out of the weekly Q&A.

So, no, companions are not "dead" -- just as ignored as they have been all along =p

Caliya and Bubonic like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

An even dumber question:
    Where can Founders discuss the answers in the Founders Q&A?

Can we have a sub-forum in the Founders section so that Founders and above can discuss Founders-only topics? Founders can't post or reply in the current Founders section. Founders are forbidden from talking about it in General. And there are approximately 15,000 Founders who have no platform for a discussion except to pay an extra upwards of $385 for the privilege.

Or, how about we drop the Founders exclusivity of what should be public info? I think the Standups and other blogs from the Devs can remain in Founders-only. But the Q&A? I'm still puzzled as to why that is in Founders section when the questions are asked publicly and worse still, nobody can discuss the answers except Dev+.

Duke Raas, Caliya, Amberraine and 5 others like this.
  9. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

On this FAQ issue I believe people have been asked, no I don't know by who or when, to post their questions in the Dev Hangout part of the main site if they want a better chance of it getting asked and to have access to the actual answers to the questions. Catch is, you have to wait for the Dev Hangout to be announced and posted there before you can jump in and reply.

I have yet to try it because I always miss these things!

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is a different FAQ. Those are for the hangouts.

We actually have 4 areas of information, not all of which is available to a lot of people unless they pledge dev+ and above AND actually watch every hangout.

The FAQ issue here is about the Q&A being posted in the Founder's Blog area, as a "FAQ" that is only available to people who can read that forum, yet the questions are open to everyone.

So, anyone can ask a question, which may in fact get an answer, and be invisible to them.

Fun times.

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Heh, well this explains one reason I've been in the dark on this issue. It's not really discussed anywhere on the public forums. My husband was also unaware of this, because I asked him if he knew companions were planned for the game.

Most other aspects of the game are discussed in the public forums, but why is this one never really? The 5 or so threads that exist in the public forums were agreeable dialogs between now and 20 months ago. Then they're all locked. I never understood why they were discussed in the first place (I never played the Ultima series, only UO, but love the idea). I thought maybe it was just some wish list item by a few people. But everyone who read those forums seemed to love the idea too.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable. This is just honestly a mystery to me.

So many ideas are pushed in this game, endless threads, dialog and debate. Honestly, I get the impression it's squashed on purpose. Why else would we be 20+ months later and nothing ever done or talked about this? People shouldn't have to take this to the Q&A section and it get voted on as a question worth answering. People should be able to know this information up front, because then like other subjects, it can be fleshed out by community ideas.

Or are they purposely dragging their feet? Lack of information leads a person to (usually wrongful) assumptions.

Just a non Dev+ perspective speaking here.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There are so many things that could enrich SotA and make it unique. Like companions like in the old Ultimas or Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age. It would be a shame if such things would not make it into the game as it is those things, those elements that are not typical for an MMO that would make the game unique and memorable. We are steering more and more towards a typical MMORPG and I doubt that SotA can survive for a long time on the market as a typical MMORPG.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  13. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Developer Depot is not private. I'm able to access it like all public threads. I always wondered the same, because I could submit a question, but never read the answers. I thought it was their way of encouraging people to become Dev+.

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If companions are not doable for episode 1 then why not make it a stretchgoal?

High Baron O`Sullivan and Caliya like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

How did that become an acceptable response to something we thought was already in game? It seems a cop out.

Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Yesterday, I was thinking they could make purchasable companions. Of course, that could only work in single player because otherwise everyone would have the same NPCs following them around. Maybe make a customizable NPC as a stretch goal. Now THAT would be pretty innovative.

17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Not really. Houses were planned into the game from day 1 KS. But they charge for them........

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Of course you are right. Companions should be in the game. But I fear that they won't be and if stretchgoals would be a way to save them then it would be better than not getting them at all...

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm pretty much resigned the same way. Is this dissappointing? For sure, doesn't help it feels like those of us who are interested area second class citizen here.

Sir_Hemlock, Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I read every single question, to date, in the weekly Q&A. The ones specifically about companions (one is more about NPC hirelings) are:

Question: What degree of control will we have over NPCs we hire to perform non-combat functions (i.e., cook, gardener, stable hand, etc.) on our property?

Question: How many NPCs can a player character have in his/her party for combat support at any given time? Will the player character have any control over their actions during combat?

Question: Companions? Will we still get them as mentioned during kickstarter? And will they be more then just henchmen with no personality. Please consider Companions on the scope of Iolo, who existed in the world without our character. He had a house and bow shop. He wasn't just a pack mule that could fight.

Of course, I never saw the answers, only the questions. May I ask why I can't see the answers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.