1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Company Status

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, to speculate about who is loosing a job isn't very nice. I made this experience by my own years before :(

I really hope, the progress of the next months and Episode 2 will bring back people who gave their best to improve the game ...

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It is what it is. Best of luck to those who need it.

On the plus side, I am looking forward to future announcements regarding episode 2!

3. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Well if a soccer player gets booted from the team its kinda the same and people speculate about it. I think some of us here forget that this is a business... one of the main reasons they have to lay off people now unfortunately.

4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Well, you aren't wrong. That doesn't mean that it's not making exactly what they expected to be making or that the layoffs are anything other than the normal ebb and flow that game companies have as they develop and publish product.

It is difficult to speculate, and probably rude in this environment. They all wear so many hats that it's not as easy as saying "the concept artists" or "the QA department."

5. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Well they clearly mentioned they adjust according to revenue :/ That's what bothers me. The playernumber drop now doesn't help either and fits this statement.
    I just hope this means they go back on the cash shop thing and replace designers with programmers to get more gameplay elements done. That would totally be something positive from my perspective...

But it sounds like it just downsizing... we will see.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

While I'm sure this is largely standard-operating-procedure in the game industry, I can't imagine transitions like this are very easy. Good luck to everyone, wherever you land! Thanks for all your hard work!

I hope some thought will be given to a future player-population as well. It'd be great to get more players to play with. From my experience, the game is far too difficult to get into (both from a UX and a game-design and game-mechanic perspective). It'd be nice to get some easier content for us "casuals" who put in a few hours a week, but still want to feel like we're making some progress in the game, and not getting so far left behind we'll never catch up.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This is normal. All companies do this, and game companies in particular (especially those with only one product) will adjust depending on the current state of production and lifecycle of the game.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Good luck to those who are going, and thanks for all your hard work. May you get your dream job!

Nailing down that last 20% is exactly what we need though. Polish until it gleams!

9. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I hope that while we won't be getting new content, we will see improvements in episode 1 (fishing all colors supply drops for example).

Thanks for your hard work so far!

Witcheypoo and LoneStranger like this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, if "people" do it, does it mean it is okay to do it? However - you're right, that's what we call "business" ...

11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Lets all keep our pants on and avoid speculation. Firstly it isn't nice for the folks who may be getting a letter, though I doubt (hope) what we say here will have much impact, but mainly because the negative doom-saying is likely to be incorrect. This seems a perfectly logical step.

Phase one of SOTA was a massive undertaking, moving from game concept to PID, to project to writing all of the code, building the foundations and the world from scratch then adding all of the locations, art, game mechanics....a vast undertaking.
    Phase 2 of building on these foundations is complex and demanding but likely not to be as labour and resource intensive, so it makes perfect sense.

Starr has also reaffirmed what we expected and hoped for; that there will be (subject to our funding it), a Chapter 2 and in that we will have all that was previously stated we would have.

It has also been made clear, which I am personally delighted about, that polish, performance and questing will be a main focus in the meantime by the ongoing support team. This will make a huge difference to quality of life and set us up nicely for stage 2 content, at which point we may start to see bolder advertising and a structured campaign to grow the player base as envisioned once the Devs are happy to show SOTA off more widely in a crowded and very user critical market-space.

12. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Good call. Expanding too fast will slow everything down. Fix the engine before going for a long road trip.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I feel sad for those who will lose their jobs. And I feel sad for what they won't be able to bring to the game anymore.

I really hope that this game will improve its attractiveness very soon, just to prevent the team to get even smaller.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Correct decision in fixing and getting the ship watertight before more voyages.
    Thank you to all the staff at Portalarium, especially the ones on the ground who have in many ways made a great game which has lost me 4500+ hours which i don't want back! Safe travels to those that leave, I'm sure you will all do very well with gained experience and skills, ill keep my eye out to see any of you on other projects o/

15. Falcon Rainfeather

Falcon Rainfeather Avatar

I'd like to say thank you to those that will be leaving for all the work and time they put into this game. I know its business and that will not change the feelings of being let go. I can attest to that. Change is a part of life. I've been reminded on more than one occasion from members of the UO community that game took over a year before it became popular. Time will tell with all things.

16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Being the one walking out the door the final time never feels great. I do hope all goes well for those who go

Witcheypoo and CatherineRose like this.
  17. Glimmer

Glimmer Avatar

There is already one farewell posted to Twitter.

Be assured that my visits to this virtual world will remind me of the creativity, talent, enthusiasm and investment that each of you who now must leave Portalarium have devoted to Shroud of the Avatar. I wish you all a safe landing.

Witcheypoo, StarLord and FrostII like this.
  18. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

This is great news! I'm thankful that the Portalarium team is realizing this issue and mitigating any long term issues. Also it's great to focus on the new user experience. Know that we all love you guys at the Portalarium office! Love you @DarkStarr and @Lord British.

19. Sansa

Sansa Avatar

Thank you @DarkStarr and thank you Portalarium team! You all made a great game that I love to play.

20. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

As I know of one of the people who we sadly will be saying farewell and "May the shadows of night keep and protect you" to... My heart breaks yet again... 4 times hence has my heart broke .. only 1 remains standing .. And the only way he will be removed is if they close the doors to Shroud.

It is understandable why they need to make cuts and why things are as they are. I just do not understand how choices are made on "Who" they cut.

As hard as it is on us to say farewell to people who have become friends over the years... Rustic, Stephen, FireLotus... Lum.... It is just as hard on the team to have to let them go on to new endeavours.

I will miss his stories... go with love, go with pride that you made some readers very happy with your story telling...

And again, as always.. May the shadows of night keep and protect you always!! Mad one...

And thank you Portalarium for all your hard work and for giving us a world that we do not only call "game to play" but "home to live"... Keep up the good work and keep your heads held high!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Spoon, Solazur, Witcheypoo and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.