Complete mounting & mounted combat system - $60

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I'm all for horses, but agree with a lot that it's not a major thing at this juncture. I do believe it is something that should be added eventually to the game, whether you like to walk, jog, run, or hop around on a pogo-stick, it' something that you would see in most sword & sorcery fantasy settings. As far as worrying about their focus of when this is worked on... how long will it take to put out Episode 2? It could be another year or two, depending on development and if issues pop up. Now, if they blend it in to work out multiple things people have been asking for over the years and fix some things they wanted implemented, like say these:
    Regional Economy & Seeing More Players
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../regional-economy-seeing-more-players.131951/

These ideas would cross over into some other things players have been wanting as well.

Ideas for Regional Economy:
    1.) Have the various regions hold some regular/basic goods to sell between regional business hubs (like herbs, medical supplies, arts, furniture, etc - These would be basic blocks of the item to buy, transport & sell). The take on this is from various games like the old Wing Commander spin-off "Privateer" to more modern versions like Black Desert for example.
    2.) Also include regional only blocks of goods to trade as well (perhaps even some rares showing up).
    3.) While players COULD carry these goods on them back and forth, there eventually would be pack animals, carts, wagons, carriages, etc for transport between trade regions. Limiting factors to getting them could be costs of acquisition, built materials (for crafted ones), and maybe quest for starter variants.
    4.) The pricing for goods when selling to another area would be both influenced by players, some RNG to represent changes instead of flat/same rates all the time, and perhaps "regional events" which affect those areas.
    5.) Crafters could be given new recipes, craft incentives/old UO BoD type stuff, or the ability to use some of these goods in lieu of other materials, rarer may substitute T2-T3 and so on. Crafters could also offer to pay more for the goods so players bringing their goods over will sell to them instead.
    6.) Turn-in NPCs where these goods would generally be sold to would hold onto them until a certain number was aquired and/or time period transpired before those goods would show up in their wares. However, the pricing will be much higher than in the region of origin of the gooods and there would only be "x" amount to be sold in a time period, regardless of how much was sold to it, so it wouldnt overflow markets and the goods would still be limited.
    7.) Have regional objectives pop up where different goods are more sought after due to some kind of an event in the area. For example, the local militia near Etceter may put up an alert that it's army needs more of "x" and "y" in order to supply troops or build "Z" to fight off cabalists. Or could be to "rebuild" homes of those affected by the sieges, etc etc. Then you could get more for certain goods though it may be riskier going there due to random encounters. Also, these wouldn't be limited to traders, could be things for adventurers/fighters to tackle as well.
    8.) Random encounters - If you're running regional trade missions for the special requests/tasks, then you could possibly have greater encounters or *special* encounters along the way instead of the typical roving scenarios we have on the roads now. These would only affect those with the trade missions (maybe make it a quest when selected? so it differentiates from others) and not other travelers.
    9.) Incentives for Multiplayer Mode - If you choose to do these things in private/party mode, you do have that option, however... the incentive would be that if you do it in multiplayer mode, you would get full returns for goods and xp. Outside of multiplayer mode, you would only receive 70% of the gold you would make and only 70% of the exp earned (or more depending on results). This way more would be inclined to go overworld where everyone could see player moving around.
    10.) Doing the trade runs and trade missions would net you gold, producer xp and a bit of adventure xp so you're still gaining some constantly.

What would this do for everyone?
    PROS:
    1.) You would actually have the Regional Economy in the game now.
    2.) You would have reasons to visit other trade regions in game.
    3.) You would get Pack Animals!
    4.) You would get carts, wagons, carriages, boats for transporting goods, mounts!
    5.) You would have and actually see more players running across the map, be it on foot, wagon, boat, etc, and more would be inclined to play in Multiplayer Mode (still doesn't help for those just fighting/grinding, but its a start).
    6.) You would get additional means of travel/fast(er?) travel.
    7.) You would have new goods introduced into the game to trade, as well as rares.
    8.) Would give new things for crafters to chase for or deal in
    9.) Would create hot spots of activity for events to pop up.
    10.) Creates an alternate way of earning money and producer xp.
    11.) Creates a base turn-in NPC for craft/trade goods, which then could be used for other things, like the example of UO's BoD system above.
    12.) Possible added fun of new random encounters for those on trade missions and events.

As for CONS and possible other PROS, I'll leave that to you. If you think's its a worthy endeavor, please feel free to add your 2 cents on how to make it better or viable with the game.

...then I could definitely see a more focused push for it and get behind it better, sure. The combat part mounted combat would be great, but as stated before, maybe polish up or rework some things in the current combat system/skill system, combat mechanics in general first so that less problems are carried over into Mounted Combat.

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

That's a way different, and more nuanced argument than what you originally said, and which I was replying to, ie: that it wouldn't be, "anything close to a substitute for what will actually be implemented."

My comment, that this thing already exists and goes a long way to doing what the devs want to do, means it should be looked at and studied, at the very least, rather than our guys starting with a blank sheet of paper.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Loved reading your post. As to why mounts well we do already have a dev created town that has the horse racing set up with bleachers and all, so of course we must have player horse racing and hurdle jumping. Horses we can train to race and jump. Perhaps they have specializarion skill to be a race horse or a battle mount with special gear for them. Perhaps they can carry some of your load but maybe they have to walk on the over world map with you. We would of course need a horn that goes off to start the race. Just some thoughts but no reason distance has to be the only reason for them. Many good things about this game are from out of the box thinking imo;)

Boo Ladedada likes this.
  4. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

Your right Majora I was just thinking of something to get from point A to point B faster would be senseless but your ideas are very valid. have nothing against horses I grew up on a horse farm and love the idea just so many other things I feel would appeal to new and veteran players to start off with. And the amount they're asking for I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

majoria70 likes this.
  5. Katu

Katu Avatar

I'm sure that the store package would not work as plug and play, but the pledge is for 250k. I bet that this developer could do it easily for 100k. Outsourcing. Add enormous 50k for project management etc and its still way less. I absolutely refuse to pledge on that, before there's more info on what the money is actually used.

yinki2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.