Computer closes while in game

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Wolfrider, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfrider

Wolfrider Avatar

In the last 2 weeks before patch 46 I would be in game and suddenly the computer turns off. Never seen this before. Been in game from beginning. Computer is Alienwasre about 3 years old. All original equipment. Anyone else ever experienced this? If so what solution to solve?

Paladin Michael, Numa and majoria70 like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Do you have an alienware x51 I-3. This game atm is very graphic intense since it is not fully optimized yet. I got rid of my alienware last year it was running really hot and struggled with this game. Now with a new computer I have less issues but still the game has moments of stuttering and hitching but not near the issues my alienware had. Can you give your specs so someone can assist you?

Ravalox Darkshire likes this.
  3. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Most bios detect excessive heat and shut down the computer to avoid damage. Could also be a power fluctuation from a component going bad.

4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Is it turning off, or rebooting?

My guesses would be: heat on the CPU, heat on the video card, video card drawing too much power from the power supply, motherboard short related to heat

It might be helpful to run some diag programs from the MB manufacturer to display heat levels. Maybe you can find a correlation.

5. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

As everyone is saying above ... This is usually related to overheating. If it is actually powering off it could be the CPU or the PSU

best to monitor with a utility such as MSI afterburner

If the machine powers down without the temps rising, then it may be a weak power supply.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree that the shutdowns are most likely heat related. SOTA raises my gaming laptop's temperature more than any other game. To counter that I use a cooling pad and an external fan.

7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I can confirm this, sended my crash log to Portalarium. First time I saw this with using more programms parallel and just with Pre R46 (QA).
    Never had it before this time.

I will watch it, started tune up to defragment the pc.
    After this It worked for weeks. Yesterday happened again.
    I was informed, there is a patch, if this happens with game start.
    Let's wait for the patch and watch, how it works ...
    Thank you again, Sarah for your fast reaction :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  8. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

My computer was having this issue at one point with SotA only, and after some research with MSI Afterburner I found that it was due to CPU heat which I suspected, so I upgraded my CPU fan to a high end fan, and I applied new CPU Thermal Paste, and I haven't had the issue since. New CPU Thermal Paste alone may have worked, but since I had to remove the CPU fan to replace the paste anyway I figured I might as well replace the standard CPU Fan with a high end one too. I paid about 36.00 for the new fan/paste.

Paladin Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.