Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Concern About Character Name Availability

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Nuku, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

There was discussion in the SOTA IRC that names were going to be wiped for R20. Less than 1 minute into the release I tried to make a character with the name Nuku, but got the "NameAlreadyInUseByOther" error message. I made another name and logged in, added the name Nuku to my friends list, but they were not online.

After talking to BurningToad in Dev+ IRC, they told me names were not wiped, but reserved to accounts. BurningToad was also unsure if names wouldn't be wiped come the final release. I would like to make the devs aware about my concerns with naming. I have invested a LOT of money into Shroud as a Royal Founder Knight and if I have already lost any chances to get the name I use and always have used everywhere else as in the Forums, IRC and even my account name, I feel like that is very unfair.

The only reason why I never made a character with the name Nuku in previous releases is because of the Last Name field when creating a character. I believed a last name was mandatory. By the time I figured out it wasn't the name was already taken.

I'd like to suggest that join date and pledge tier be considered for character name availability.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Razimus, kbruder and Ember like this.
  2. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, last names are ones that saved, not first names.

So we can have two players, one named George Bush and another named George Obama.

3. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

All names were saved. The first name I was hoping to get this release is still saved to another account. The last names are optional

4. Ember

Ember Avatar

I feel super lucky to have gotten the name "Ember" for R20 then, having been away from SotA for months. =/ I don't recall ever making a character named Ember without a last name so someone else could have potentially taken it! D:

I was also under the impression that a Last Name was REQUIRED during character creation. A little "optional" tooltip would be nice. And I do hope that you are able to get the name "Nuku", Nuku. Because I recall a post about a player named Nuku who was griefing in R13 or R14 (post has since been deleted or I just can't find it) and I'd hate for people to think it was YOU! >_<

Lord Chojin likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I brought this issue up many moons ago. Did not generate much interest. You will not find my forum name (Aldo) anywhere in game related to me because I will not use my real gaming name until the first episode launches. Right now, anyone can claim your name if you don't beat them to it at character creation. At least that is how I understand it, without any guidance or info from the Development team. It is frustrating to be posting here under and alias, and playing the early releases with a name that will be discarded when the game launches.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No troll intended.
    Imagine now i am a RF Lord. And i decide to name my char Nuku. But then comes a Duke and thinks: Hey, i will name my char Nuku.
    I guess you can see where this is going.

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

There needs to be a cut off. If a Duke wants a name, they should have priority to pick before anyone of a lower tier.

Edit: One more thing. What I mean by a cut off is.. each tier should have a window to claim a name. Then each hour/day/week (whatever is picked) the next tier is open to choose all the way down the ladder until the lowest.

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm??
    That is how it will be.
    If you check out the
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-selection-sequence-process.11466/
    you will see that people will get to log in to the game with Pledge tier and then era. So LotM first in era order and down the line...
    So they will also get to create their avatars first and thus claim their names.

But you should also note that a Founder era - Immortal Adventurer Pledge Reward is:
    "Last Name
    Get your last name early! Experience in battle leads to Notoriety, but unlike ordinary adventurers, Immortal Adventurers will have the right to select and display both a first and last name right from the get-go!"
    So last names seems to be earned, unless you are a F/RF. (This goes along with the crest thingie I think).

9. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

I looked over that thread and it does talk about claiming a land plot, but didn't see anything about names.

Right now, even after a full server wipe, character names were still saved to accounts. For example if I was using the name John Smith last release and havent made a new John Smith in R20, no one would be able to make John Smith until I make a new character of a different name. I know this is true after talking with BurningToad (dev).

What I want to know if names will be released from all accounts names just prior to release so name picking will be of Pledge Tier and Era as well. BurningToad was not sure if names will actually be made available.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There isn't anything about names. Just the order in which people will access the game after launch, thus the order in which we will create characters.

Atogrim likes this.
  11. Nuku

Nuku Avatar

If character names are reserved to accounts and not reset, the order will not matter.

12. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

Jeez... Just make the last name mandatory and there should be no more name collisions (at least far smaller chances of this happening). And I'm quite sure you don't earn last name in game but you earn the right to DISPLAY your last name instead of first name only. Then you can choose your favorite name for the first name (and it won't be taken because others can have it too) and get a last name that no one else has. Simple.

Musaab Osman likes this.
  13. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

I also believe last names should be mandatory. I see people running around with names like FoSheezy420 and it kinda sucks.

Atogrim likes this.
  14. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

You do realize that if they are FoSheezy420 now, they will just be Fo Sheezy420 when forced to create a last name, right? I don't understand why we need to be the name police. If someone isn't playing the way that you like, don't associate with them. I mean, I think the name is dumb, but it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round. ;)

I think this point takes away from the original concerns of the original poster.

Tarsin and Nuku like this.
  15. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

Heh. Have the same problem with my account... sort of.

My duke account is now using the name of my primary alt.
    I wonder if the alt's name will be freed up if I use the main's intended name come next wipe.

Would be a real bummer if the alt's name isn't freed up.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

We tested this in depth, if you create an avatar and give it a name..nobody else can ever use that name unless you log in and name that account something else. So far a name has remained claimed on an account that has not logged in for over 8 months, so we assume it is permanent.

17. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

Thanks for that bit of wisdom Themo.
    Will keep it in mind next release so all my toons have the names they are supposed to use for final release.

:)

18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Oh, I hope you are right. I would hate to have to name my avatar Kara Brae2 if someone took the name before I can. Already more than one account are using the family name Brae. I don't think family names should be unique to a single account, just the combo first name - last name.

19. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

As much as I would hate if someone would steal my name after a wipe I think there should be a limit how long a name is reserved but unused. If you don't create a char between 2 wipes it should be set free again. I'm kind of happy that people can't use my name as long as I come back regulary to the game. But if I leave the game during tests for more than 3 months, you should not block that name.

For the final game I really worry about the issue, that only founder-era accounts have last names. How many Johns will be there, that hope for a surname later in the game. So we will have some founder with the name John and a surname and after that only one more John is allowed. That can become a real issue. We need to think of that too soon enough.

Kara Brae and Bambino like this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Lots of opinions here. I sure wish we could get something definitive on the subject. I mean if the final wipe will clean up everything but the names, then I would be a happy camper. I still harbor doubts though. It seems logical to me that when the game is released, it will be clean and ready for a fresh start. Actually a formal name claiming scenario similar to the lot claiming plan would be reasonable and you could plan accordingly. I would not like it, but could live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.