Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Constantly loosing target.

Discussion in 'Release 28 Bug Forum' started by Gramps, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

I double click on a target. My name turns yellow and the target is red. I click on Root. I lose target and root turns grey and have to wait for it to come back.
    This happens every time 100%
    Annoyance factor 100 %
    Angry as hell factor 100 %
    Why should we ever lose target unless it runs out of range or I tab to another target.
    It should lock and stay locked.
    Why should I ever have to press a key like T ?
    Your definition of auto attack is sure a lot different than mine.
    Auto Attack. If you are hit by a mob, auto face target unless you are running. If target is close enough to you then smack the thunder out of it.
    I find this game a lot harder to play because of these things. Can't keep mob targeted. Cast a ground AOE and lose target.

Ice Queen, Moonshadow and Beli like this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello and thank you for reporting! Can you elaborate on how you're losing your target by clicking root? We're not observing this behavior locally. It's not the first time we've seen this issue appear however (but we weren't able to reproduce it then either). I'm convinced this is actually happening for you. The question now is to find out why I'm not seeing it and why you are. :)

Some questions to help me investigate and isolate the cause:
    What is your current operating system? What weapons are you currently using? What scene and enemy are you seeing this happen in? Is it in the middle of a fight or when initiating a fight that you see this? Does the target change to someone else, or does it just untarget everything?

Thank you for reporting, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this together.

Attenwood

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Happens for me too, maybe 1 out of 20 times. I think it doesnt like the right side of the button, aiming a little left helps.

Ice Queen and Moonshadow like this.
  4. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Mostly happens with skellys or mages. Doesn't matter where I am playing. I mostly use my mouse for every thing. I am not a keyboard player. Can't get used to that and don't know if that is the reason it is happening to me.
    Like I said it the post. My name will be yellow and I double click on the target and turn it red. I move in to sword hitting distance and then cast root. Target is lost and root turns grey and I have to wait before I can use it again and the skelly archer runs away and most of the time I go through that same cycle again or I use another glyph. Once I engage in actual combat I can cast anything, but if I cast Fireball , most of the time it will cause loss of target.
    I have asked many players if they have a problem with losing target and most all will say they have lost target too. It may be just me because I use the mouse and not the keyboard. I still say once you make a mob a target you should never lose it unless it runs out of range or you chose another target by pressing tab or double click on another.

5. Attenwood

What you are describing is the correct intent of the design, and we're trying to figure out why you're seeing target loss. This should only occur if the game is somehow receiving an input from the mouse clicking elsewhere in the playable space to deselect it. I wonder if perhaps it might be a hardware issue, of the mouse sending more than a single input for a single click. We'll keep investigating. Thanks for reporting.

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Well if it is it is happening on both my computers. This computer I just built. I am positive that my mouse is not effecting other peoples computer either. It is no way my hardware no matter what you think.
    This is a game changer to me. All you all have to do is make it so you never lose target once you select it. stays until you kill it or it runs out of range or we select another target.

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10240)
    3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5820K
    384 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1536 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    15360 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (6 total)
    Hyper-threaded (12 total)
    Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X99-SOC Champion-CF
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    Samsung Solid State Drive 850 EVO 250GB [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1, s/n S21NNSAG526843D, rev EMT01B6Q, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCC3F3JYU3AT, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy
    Memory Modules c,d
    32594 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM_A1' has 8192 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_B1' has 8192 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_C1' has 8192 MB
    Slot 'DIMM_D1' has 8192 MB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 [Display adapter]
    VIZIO E430i-C2 [Monitor] (42.9"vis, March 2015)

7. Attenwood

I'm trying to work with you to understand the cause of why you're losing the target, and merely offered a possibility of the cause. We have seen input devices fail in the past. I have every belief that you are experiencing what you're describing. What I need to figure out is how it's happening so I can reproduce it to send it to the team to resolve.

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think you change targets temporarily! (for whatever reason) when you are hit for critical damage from a mob? I may be wrong, but is this the cause of all our targeting issues?

9. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

I don't change targets. I lose target.
    I'm a retired industrial electrician. Trouble shooting was my job for 35 yrs. Yes.... it may be the way I play that is causing the problem but it can be eliminated for every one if they change the program as I have suggested so you do not lose a target unless you intend to lose it by tabbing to another target or it gets out of range. I should not lose target when I cast fireball by placing it on the ground. Wasn't that the intent of the game ? Not lose target when you cast a ground AOE ?
    Target should be locked. I should not have to change my play style for a broken piece of software. I consider it broken because it happens a lot. I have even died because of loss of target trying to cast and have nothing to cast on.

10. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Can't explain this... I have been playing since Jan 2015 and this losing target thing was a constant pain in the rear.
    I just went in and played for an hour and only lost target once in the middle of the fight. Usually I lose target on every other fight or several in a row.
    Don't know if SotA did something or what... but I fought about every thing that is in Crag Mine area and only lost target once. I can deal with that as long as it stays that way.

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I have just gotten into a habit of double clicking a target and then tab targeting it when I lose it. It has become just a reflex. Mainly happens on movers.

I still lose targets quite frequently.

Fister Magee likes this.
  12. Attenwood

@Jefe @Gramps @Fister Magee @Alley Oop We have finally found a repro case for this and can confirm that skill selection is indeed causing the loss of target. The ticket has been escalated and sent to the team to be resolved. Thank you for your patience and reporting!

Kara Brae, Oba Evesor, Noric and 3 others like this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Just curious, how did you reproduce it?

Oba Evesor likes this.
  14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This makes me very happy! :) So a future patch... before wipe so we can test? :)

15. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Nice work.

16. Gramps

Gramps Avatar

Thanks to all you other folks that were having the same problem we may get this fixed once and for all.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.