Constructive Criticism please.

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Quetzalcoatl, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Avatar

Hello, and let me thank you ahead of time for taking the time to listen and have input.
    Critic away. Let me know.
    This is my submission for Garden of Sorrow. I had many other versions but Im hoping this one works best.

The song uses several suspended cymbals, Timpani, Choir, Harp, Piano, Tubular Bells (Chimes), Bass Drum.
    The meter is 6/8:
    Aeolian Mode A (a minor essentially)
    I use a drone 'A' and an occasional flat 5th (b5)

2. Derium

Derium Avatar

I'm not the best with music, so my opinion doesn't really count. But I love it! Maybe if the 'chanting' in the background had a moment to shine and come to the front a bit, that would be awesome (during a deep part). But then again, I'm partial to that sort of thing.

Time Lord and mike11 like this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

As usual the sounds are all fantastic.. The chant's are really ancient sounding and the track to me seems oriental, chinese? But at the same time it reminds me of a deep dark graveyard or a tomb of a ancient warrior or king.

I don't know what else to suggest, really. Maybe try changing the piano so that there is an even stronger ancient chinese theme going on??? I could be wrong tho.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

Would the music sound more eery with a wind instrument playing in the foreground?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

I think it sounds great. I think Anosa is right, it might sound even better if you added (very sparingly) a note or two now and then on a reed flute. A hollow-sounding bamboo flute perhaps. Either way, it sounds great just like it is. I commented in the song itself on Soundcloud at specific points. It's great - The melody is deceptive, as the song sounds "simple" but it really isn't.

The only other thing I can say is that the drone occasionally make me think my headphones were buzzing, like an electrical interference or something. (Just to my ears mind you. Probably a non issue.) At second 46 and 47 for example, is where I hear it. There are a few other times it happens, generally when all the other instrumentation is silent.

Anyhow, my post may sound negative, but it isn't intended to be. I really had to dig hard to find anything that I thought could use correction.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Avatar

I appreciate all comments. I really don't see them as negative or positive comments. I approach responses as informative and productive comments. Sometimes ones ear is blind to ones own music. Thanks you everyone.

Yes I could use a woodwind family instrument to make it sound more eerie. Pretty much any instrument can be used to produce an eerie sound. Well maybe not any instrument. I do have my doubts about a mouth harp or kazoo. But then again who knows :) The limits of ones imagination and creativity are endless and arguably infinite.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl Avatar

It is very possible that there might be a buzz. I used my TD-11 module through my mixer to capture some cymbal samples which might have caused that to buzz. I don't claim to be an engineer as that is an art in itself. I do try to do my best but my ears don't work like they used too. So its fair to say I will undoubtedly catch a buzz or engineering flaw from time to time. I will definitely look into it. Thats why I enjoy the feedback. 100 ears are always better than one :). I blame carrying my boom box as a teen-ager around my neighborhood listening to Heavy Metal loud or those damn trumpet players that are screechers in various jazz bands. LOL. I actually like you all if you are a trumpet player (screecher) :).

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Change the lead to an Asian string and you've got Ardoris...
    Just a thought... and I like it :)!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.