Content over Deco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dinsoo, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I would prefer deeper content (quests, story, etc) over more deco.

Please devs, hear our call.

It would be nice to see a goal reward point to quest system fixes rather than another sword pattern. It would be nice to see a goal reward point to a new quest rather than a new ice shield.

Eat you later!

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Different teams making deco and coding quests.

I think there's some reason to make new decos available, but also there's also a significant overlap between decos that are good for story content, and decos that are good for player creativity, and that's IMO where the majority of the new deco items should be.

This is especially true if they want to encourage players to create their own quests, create dungeons, create shops, create a thriving economy, etc. We need a lot of tools to do this IMO that we currently don't have. But I think this is where the story and player creativity overlaps, because we're basically talking RP-oriented decos here, rather than decos for vanity purposes only.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Or towards new skills, spells and combos!

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Deco has value to me. I can sell it for IGGs or CoTos. Again, this isn't mutual exclusive thing.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think they're doing the best that they can - given the current staff - to satisfy as many of our varied desires as possible.
    Having said that, there are a few things that I'd love to see fixed, tho...

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

For many in this game, Deco is content.

Not me, so i understand your point. But as i have said in other posts, in a sandbox, if you like and do EVERYTHING then the sandbox is too small. I think there is enough of the player base that love decorating that new deco is a valid use of developer time.

New quests, while sound good, at this point will create more technical debt. If the quest and journal system are being rewritten from the ground up in episode 2 (a great thing to my mind), then creating more of the content in the old system creates more work porting it over to the new system later. So you have to careful that there is enough benefit to justify the developer time BOTH to create the new quest AND the future work of moving it over to the new system.

Regards
    Spung

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

And like Redfish said, which actually makes so much sense, the time spent making those new decos, will serve into having those decos available for new quests with items fitting those new areas. It will be done.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I think the idea of core game development as a stretch goal would be a dangerous precedent. It's not something that they offer some willing folks optionally but something that they must provide to everyone. I don't believe any aspect of the core functionality of the game is considerable as a stretch goal. Expanding employee or technology capacity is much more of an investment in the company than a stretch goal.

Some folks can argue that the current funding model makes that way of thinking obselete, and they might well be right, but I believe the traditional perspective will persist.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think right now with Ep2 coming the quest / content people are busy, keep in mind that ep2 team is also working on the new quest / journal system which will fix alot of the other issues so that will come in time either way. I think once they have the new quest / journal system we will see alot more quests and content coming. Why create new / more quests on a broken system ;)

10. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

Who, exactly, are the quest people? From the stand ups, I don’t recall seeing anyone working on the quest and journal system overhaul. Remember that system was largely handled by Lum in the past. I would not get my hopes I that any serious work on the quest and journal overhaul has occurred, or that it will without additional resource hires.

Edit - mea culpa, it has been pointed out that sannio is working on current quests, which is positive to see. I still don’t think that is nearly enough resources for the planned system overhaul; hopefully whatever is being mentioned on the live-streams is hinting at resource expansion for this topic. We all saw how not so great it worked out the first time around with only a few people working on it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Cordelayne and Synergy Blaize like this.
  11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

It has been stated in the last 3 twitch streams as one of the big items that is coming.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Kieth Quinn

Xee and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Monday January 14, 2019
    Keith Quinn: Fixes for Geisterseelen quest, other quest bugs

Thursday January 17, 2019
    Keith Quinn: New quest in the Clink, episode 2 planning

TGIF January 18, 2019
    Keith Quinn: Quest improvements in Cyannis, bugs

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Also another way to think about it is new dungeon sections etc. and items created can spur new ideas. Since there will be a Black Ice Golem, perhaps there will eventually be an Evil Frosty the Snowman equivalent. New art and animation will feed into what is available for the quest guy. Addition of Ice Trolls will add to available story things. Icy dungeon sections would help visualize that better.

The other case of not having the art/animations just causes frustration as the only thing the quest writer can do at that time is leave it TBD or write in narration. I remember completing the quest of courage and being told by narration what happened. So I don't mind them filling in the palette of art and animation first.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yeti-like creatures are planned. Like trolls but use ice magic

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's because they haven't started the Ep2 hiring yet.

17. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

Is Episode 2 being delayed past end of this year? Because they would likely need to already have people on board by this time to feasibly make that date.

Cordelayne, Hazard and Addison like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I really hope they just go with an off the shelf solution for quests. There are some really solid systems already available, and we see how reinventing the wheel worked out so far.

Cordelayne and HannahAlpenglow2 like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, that was off topicish. Deco is content that creates more content for a large section of the playerbase. It is a tool for players to make content for other players to enjoy.

They need to get back into making some of the new stuff craftable though. I know there's a bunch of already modeled stuff coming in as usable by us, I hope they don't just throw it on an NPC. We need more crafts!

20. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.