Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Control Points

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by rune_74, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

The problem with that would be regulating it. Guilds could start charging a fortune in theory and if a very big guild got hold of the control point you would never fight your way through . so you would be stuck .

2. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

The snowy zone I entered (something pass) had a mage that you could pay to transport you safely through the zone, I think that's kind of a cool idea.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They have said they plan to remove that for launch. :)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Funny enough, I didn't get a warning about the passes until vertas pass.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

That's when I leave ..... I don't like being LOOTED in PVE no freaking way ....

amaasing likes this.
  6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I like the idea of having a guard charge you a small Fee for safe passage through Control points.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Now here's the thing, they look like neat areas to explore etc, I can sort of see what they are trying to do...but it feels totally artificial.

It would be interesting if they instead of being aggressive every time that their could be a chance of an up rising....now that would be cool.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I was under the impression the "evil" forces of the game would also be involved with the control points. On going story element, bad guys with a plan, instead of sitting in a dungeon instance waiting to be killed over and over.

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Well, remember at one point there were supposed to be enemy sieges of towns, and you would have to help liberate them before you could go on... that seems to have been lost.

Edited for bad spelling.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, to be devils advocate those could still come. But that will be up to us, we have to let them know that we want this stuff.

Vyrin likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sieges are on the list still according to the Final wipe thread.

Mitch [MGT], Vyrin and cartodude like this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How do the cities trade with each other when there are control points in the world preventing merchants from reaching other cities?

DeadSpider, amaasing, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They use /zone...

Hopefully they don't trade making control points meaningful.

Vyrin likes this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

They're adding teleportation. The control points will be a legacy annoyance and nothing more, the moment that mechanic goes live. (aside from the Boats issue)

The impression I get is that they want each story line to be 1/3 of the map, so if you choose Courage, you go to resolute & highvale, if you choose Truth you go to aerie & blood river, and if you choose Love, you go to ardoris &solace bridge (sorry if that's not 100% right, just off the top of my head)
    The problem is, these zones are not even slightly equal today. There's no resource acquisition/PvE zones around Aerie. It's like a wasteland. I mean, yes, there's one, blood river, but compared to what's around ardoris, it's.. well, it's not comparable.
    I started in Aerie, and eventually had to leave because there's no wood or iron available. Just a few nodes of copper in blood river, and that's it.
    Similarly, for Resolute and highvale, there's no PvE/resource acquisition zones that I could find within their segregated parts of the map. Empty.

So for now, for R26, it's back to Ardoris for me. At least I can collect iron and wood and try testing some systems.

If the control points had a 15 gold bribe to bypass, I would pay it. Not 1500 gold. :rolleyes: Beyond that, I'm just going to run through them. If I can't run them, I'll use the boats. If they fix the boats, I'll wait for crafted teleportation. As with most veteran players of fantasy-themed persistent multiplayer online games, I have no interest in banging my head against punitive mechanics anymore. I had enough of that in M59 and UO.

And I fully understand they can add more PvE/Resource Acquisition zones to the Aerie / Resolute segregated areas to match Ardoris. Today, though, there's quite a disparity, and I'm skeptical it will be implemented, tested, balanced, metrics gathered, tuned, tweaked, and polished by July 28th, so that resource acquisition opportunities in each area is ~equal.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm, I never though about it being split like that. Interesting.

How will this be affected if the storyline isn't completed?

16. agra

agra Avatar

I don't think it'll matter. The storyline is just quests in zones, and I suspect the goal will be one city, one PvE zone per skull/difficulty (so, 4? 5? per thematic area?) and one dungeon per area, for "final wipe". That way, a complete noob can start the game, play through a thematic area, and it'll take however many dozens of hours and that'll be enough.

Given there's 120 working days between now and then, and somewhere between 20 and 30 zones to do in that time, that's only 4-6 working days per zone. Not a ton of time left, to say nothing of new features.
    There's also the issue to consider of the style & performance between current zones and older zones, like those on the hidden vale. New zones are always better, as developers learn new tricks, have more up to date scripts and tools, and are more familiar with their IDE's and API's. I suspect a refresh/do-over of the old zones is likely in scope as well. I mean, they don't have to, but otherwise Hidden Vale is going to be a bit of an embarrassment/mystery.

rune_74 likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I never even thought of it like this....the cities too....geez....they need a lot of work.

Chatele likes this.
  18. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

WOW is stupid and so is the idea of control points to create local economies.

I'm here to play the entire game, not sit on 1/3 of a map and act content. The concept that swords will get a bonus if built in Palidis region is a great way to encourage people who want to craft a specific specialty to build (and possibly sell) in that region, however that undermines the concept of independent economies based on region.

At the end of the day regardless of control points and other forced mechanics players will likely settle on a few major markets for selling and there is truly little the devs can do about that other than to limit vendor placement per area which is still a horrible idea. I don't want to spend days shopping for good armor going through control point after control point just to shop.

I just see control points as annoyances until we reach a certain combat level and then they are just time wasters.

More and more I am thinking I'll rarely do anything with this game except play offline, even that looks like it will be rather uncomfortable for a casual player. How is this anything like the games of the past? When I played those being logged out didn't cost me all that I had worked toward (skills especially).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.