Counter and Defense spells.

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Johnwick, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British

I would love to see counters to every spell in the book.

Ice shield = No damage from Fire arrows and minimal damage from higher tier spells
    Fire Shield (hasnt even been made yet) what? anyhow against all Ice spells similar to above.

List some counters to spells and how they counter, and make up some, that the devs can look at an maybe integrate into the game

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No damage = you would shut some people right down, don't like the idea at all, but not from my perspective, I can switch, but other people not so easy, and its easy to switch a spell on the fly. If you start using fire, I can just drag a shield of ice onto my combat bar and use it, using ice I can do same thing with immolation.

Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  3. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

exactly
    whats wrong with that? Its called tactics, if you dont know how to set up decks, id say learn, i can go from light armor to heavy at any moment, death to life, if i have my decks set up. Typically i have an all spell deck then one type of deck, so i can counter if needed.

4. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

also i think you took it further than what i was trying to say teir 2 spell no effect if teir 3 is up for protection, now if you fireball me thats another story, there should be damage even with a shield up not max damage but some

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Counter are fine - they asre there just insignificant - you want them more owerfule sure but negating spells sorry but NOPE. Only way I would consider negating a spell would be Mastery of the spell AND mastery of the defense - huge amounts of training and exp.

****** now with that idea you also need to make the soft cap somthign viable so players cannot just GM everything ***** OR possibly add a defensive skill AND innate to each tree, since oyu learn the tree you can also how to defend against it . . . . . . . Again **** still need to fix soft caps !!!!!!!!!!

6. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Ok well we can go with very minimal depending on tier level to tier level, i would be good with that

7. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

so if i have a high level of ice shield your flame fist might hurt me as much if you just hit me with your fist, for example Tier to tier
    Im all about the soft cap as well, i totally agree with you on that Weins.

8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I have to be honest, "negate damage" to countering other schools is the worst idea that i have ever read here on forum.

Bankee likes this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Just throw on some res pots and your good, pretty much shut down mages with those alone.

Johnwick likes this.
  10. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

of course, but i went back and said minimal damage thaats different than negate.

11. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

but if i have a bunch of potions on me i clink when trying to sneak! :D Yeah potions and food help alot but i hate having to go make them all the time or buy them for ridiculous prices.

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think the 50% on those pots is just to much, if you have 2 strong mages fighting each other with those on they cannot kill each other really. That's why I have melee skills, that and bosses.

Johnwick and Dhanas like this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thing is when u reduce it, which I convinced Chris already one time... melee becomes useless again. Maybe make caster static when casting again? :/ Improve the spellweaver stance to compensate.

Barugon likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

melee is not useless, they just need to remember when fighting a mage, damage res does nothing for them SO, if they use some light armors, and then can use blink or night step, then can really be a pain for those mages. Belgator was the only person I saw actually use blink as a melee, and it works freaking awesome.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like the current system. There's no instant counter to everything that you can just swap out at your convenience.

Johnwick likes this.
  16. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

I liked your post because i respect your response and beliefs, and you didnt take it to a battlefield! Thanks!

Barugon likes this.
  17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

That was before the fizzle changes. Now I think he would have trouble because even leather makes you fizzle air spells considerably. The problem is that the gap closers like engage opponent/night step etc are not really working well, because you always get warped to the position the enemy was in, not IS in if you understand what I mean :) Body slam is the only viable one due to the stun that even works if the opponent is out of range and you can run towards him.

If you fix engage opponent or night step, I think it could work. Even though I find the movement speed that can be obtained ridiculous due to the fleet flute. That item is a must have and should be nerfed imho. ^^

Numa, Mac2 and Barugon like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You mean like they nerfed Embry's Harp?

19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Hm dunno. I would cap movement speed at a certain value because it is also making your char lag for other clients. The problem isn't the item necessarily, it is more about the max movement speed attainable.

Bob Kelso2 likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was just being sarcastic. They made Embry's Harp completely worthless. The funny thing is that I still see people trying to sell them for like 40k.

Actually, it's not completely worthless. You can still salvage it for the Ancient Essence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.