Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Counters

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

It wouldn't guarantee you have the right skills that are counters, though. We're talking a bit like Pokemon, where if you have the right pokemon you can counter everything your opponent does and they can't attack you. If you have the wrong pokemon, you'll die easily.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Right, good point. I would favor a system where if you had the right counter you could Ping-Pong for a while, taking some damage but not big damage. And if you didn't have the right counter, you'd take relatively more damage. So for example, a fire spell does 10 damage when countered, and 20 when it's not. Something along those lines. Who knows what the best numbers would actually be.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I like counters too, but fail to see how in our combat system you can determine what move your opponent is throwing, then look down at your combat bar for a counter and activate it before the move your opponent has thrown lands. By the time you determine what is coming, it is too late to look at your deck, move to appropriate key, and activate counter.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good, are you guys FINALLY catching on ? Really... good grief...

Thats why you need spells and skill that take time to activate and show a little animation, of course some are left instant but are not meant to be countered (or be countered only by certain specializations or attunements), in the case of rogue skills there need to be a delay depending on the environement and and many more tweaks need be applied for subterfuges and tactics.

This is so marginally ironic since it was all in the plans for UO and the system was invented in UO and never surpassed.

It IS Ultimate Online in another parallel dimention...

It just seems again EVERYONE forgot what happened in UO... vanishing point kinda creepyness...

event horizon or what ?

It feels SO ODD !!!

There is so much more that UO had in the plans but that NOONE seems to know about... I feel like the only one who ever really got to know the genius (even if I never met him) that went into its programming, even if I'm fully aware key members are present here and do not seem to remember me (understandably because I happened to intervene while the entire staff rotation was happening in the PEAK of the FoA storyline and parallel RMT ebay gold scandal circus)

But I read the code... and noone is interested really is that what I'm supposed to GATHER FROM THIS !?

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Just slow down the animations so you have a little time to react. Also, you should be able to pre-cast buffs and defenses. So if you're fighting a dragon you can pre-cast a spell that counteracts fire. Also, magic reflection would be great.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea just repeat what I'm saying :p

I... SHALL... GIVE... CREDIT....

:p

Budner likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There's skill involved, currently, both in your decisions positioning, and timing. Lag can be dealt with without having everyone be forced to sit still.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The amount of skill involved is minimal. Yes, there's some nuance involved, especially if you're using weapons and moving about trying to time/judge lag and your opponents range. But that's more an art and less a science, and by art I partially mean that you have little control over it (no matter what we may tell ourselves).

The real power in this system is derived by levels and build. If it weren't, then we'd see a lot more lower level people flagged for pvp. If it weren't, then we'd see more diverse builds instead of the very popular 3 or 4 we have now.

What I think a lot of players make the mistake of doing is reading things like this and saying "he's taking a shot at my skill as a player!" Which isn't what I'm doing at all. I'm saying that if the game were designed differently, it would require more skill to play than it currently does and that would be more inclusive of competitive pvp.

The current nuance involved with moving around may or may not be a combination of server location, internet connection, and luck - we have very little way of knowing that without deep investigation on a case by case basis. There are some people playing right now that are very far away from the Austin, TX server, and others that are very close. That network traffic gets resolved one way or another, and currently the network host in Austin assumes that everything your client is telling it is "real". So not only does that leave us open to hacking, it also leaves us open to normal internet nonsense. In short, it's not an environment where "fairness" is really built in. I don't call manipulating that reality a skill, I call it bad design. And yes, many games share this same bad design, I was simply hoping we could try to be better than those games.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I agree that we need to do away with adventure levels deciding hit chance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.