Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Craft Skill, Proficiency and Level

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Browncoat Jayson, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

When R33 started, each primary crafting skill was known as a Proficiency (i.e., Mining Proficiency, Smelting Proficiency, or Blacksmithing Proficiency). These were grouped into a Skill tree, so Mining Proficiency, Mining Survey, Mining Swift Gathering, and Mining Meticulous Collection were collectively the Mining skill tree. Finally, hovering over the Mining Proficiency skill would show a Mining Level, which was used to determine success rate and the required level for some recipes.

During a patch, this terminology changed. The former Proficiency is now know just as the skill, Mining. The Mining Level is now displayed as Mining Proficiency, but the Mining tree has not changed. This was changed, presumably, to help folks who couldn't find what Mining Level was, however this only changed the troublesome term from Mining Level to Mining Proficiency, and introduced another level of confusion, since the collective name of the skill tree is now the same as the primary skill.

We need better terms.

To borrow from other skill trees, the main skill of the Mining tree should be Mining Craft. This is similar to the main skill in the Bladed tree, which is Bladed Combat. Otherwise, return it to Mining Proficiency.

The Mining Level, or whatever the hover portion is that shows effectiveness, is not discoverable and means almost nothing to most players. It needs to go away, and have the Mining Craft level actually be displayed for recipes that require a minimum skill. If that means a formerly "Requires Mining Proficiency 60" recipe now becomes "Requires Mining Craft 72", at least players can figure it out.

Terminology matters. Especially to new players. Help us avoid confusion, and make it easier for players to get into crafting.

Also, the various Survey, Swift Gathering, and Meticulous Collection skills need differentiation for the skills, and each should have unique names.

Thanks! @DarkStarr

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think Mining 'Craft' would be confusing as well, though I agree I'd like more consistent terminology.
    This cause a lot of confusion when you needed a certain 'proficiency' level as a pre-req for a production recipe, but that proficiency level =/= your skill level but a more arbitrary value.

This gets confusing with gathering skills, for example, the TB tools add +5 proficiency which is NOT the same as +5 "levels"
    Example: lvl 100 in Mining has 70.7 mining proficiency. The tooltip says that at lvl 120 mining I'll have +77.5 mining proficiency. However the TB tool adds +5 proficiency, this would make me about the equivalent of a level 115ish miner, not a lvl 105 miner, as you may first think.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Agree 100% with OP. This needs to be made clear!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.