Crafting Enchanting Gems Alchemy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DalTXColtsFan, Nov 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

This is, admittedly, going to be an "all over the place" type of post and I apologize for that - there's just so much I don't yet know about so many interconnected topics that it's hard to present my question in an orderly manner.

What it all comes down to is, I want to craft the most powerful possible halberd and full set of plate armor. I just met the Graffs who told me gems could be used to enchant items. I also have recipes for augmented and epic plate armor.

I have the alchemy recipe for enchantment which requires a CRAFTED item (meaning, I guess, I can't use it against any weapon or armor I bought in a store). Unfortunately, I sold the 3 iron daggers I blacksmithed already so I literally have NO crafted items in my inventory.

EDIT: I've managed to craft a couple items since originally posting this.

I'm not sure how wide the definition of "crafted item" is, but I tried to craft a simple set of cloth booths but I only have 1 bolt of cloth. I couldn't buy another cloth bolt from the crafting supplies seller. Would a tailor sell those? I may nor may not have a recipe for them, not sure.

EDIT: I already had a recipe for a cloth bolt that I was able to make at the textiles station. And yes, the cloth booths were usable by the enchant recipe. Unfortunately I'm still at level 1 alchemy and therefore a long way from level 1 enchantment so it will be awhile before I can actually do it.

I have plenty of copper and gold ore and have smelted several copper and gold ingots. I'm out of iron ore and iron ingots. I can't even blacksmith a single dagger at the moment because though I have recipes for copper and iron hilts I only have a recipe for an iron blade. Am I supposed to be able to find a recipe for a copper blade anywhere? I really don't want to go on a dungeoncrawl just to find a bunch of iron ore, I wish I could just buy it from somebody.

EDIT: I found the recipe for the copper dagger blade so I should be okay there.

I was able to blacksmith an iron halberd blade but do not have nor know where to get the recipes for the whole halberd - a carpenter maybe?

EDIT: I found the recipe for the whole halberd, but since I'm not at level 30 carpentry yet I don't know how to read it to find out what the "ingredients" are

I have recipes for making gems out of gem fragments, but they require level 10 alchemy, and I'm still at level 1 alchemy. I think I have recipes for various potions that could get me up to the level 10.

Lastly, I see that the recipes for the plate armor require a metal sheet and I have no idea where to find a recipe for a metal sheet.

EDIT: I found the recipes for the copper or iron sheets - the term "metal sheet" threw me because I was being too literal, so I think I'm good there.

Is this whole process really this complicated???? Am I missing anything that makes this whole thing easier????

I'll stop there.

Thanks in advance,
    DalTXColtsFan Dragon

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You cannot buy actual materials like this from a NPC merchant, but you could probably find them on a player vendor. The crafting system relies on players to create items throughout the process, with the exception of fuel (coal, wax, etc).

[QU OTE]Am I supposed to be able to find a recipe for a copper blade anywhere? I really don't want to go on a dungeoncrawl just to find a bunch of iron ore, I wish I could just buy it from somebody.[/QUOTE]
    You could go buy the recipe from an NPC merchant (iron and copper are generally available), however they are also discoverable. Any recipe marked as "Re-Teachable" means you can figure it out on your own. Just use the iron blade recipe and substitute copper to make a Copper Dagger Blade.

The rest of your questions are really about where things are available. Most low-level recipes are available from NPC blacksmiths or carpenters, but higher tier ones (white iron, constantan, etc) only drop in supply bundles. You will probably find these on player vendors long before you can find them in the wild.

If you want to find anything specific, look for the item on SotAwiki and it *should* tell you where it can be found. You can also go to the population centers in most NPC towns and look for the merchants who sell recipes.

StarLord, Rentier and FrostII like this.
  3. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I've found a bunch of supply bundles of various colors but I didn't know what to do with them so I just sold them - barf! Have I been screwing myself? Could i have just double-clicked them to see the components?

P.S. Please note that I play offline only, and please note that I did edit my post a couple minutes ago.

FrostII likes this.
  4. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I do want to express two opinions: I don't like the idea that materials like metal ore (iron, copper, silver et al) and wood (pine, maple et al) can ONLY be found by dungeoncrawling or adventuringarecrawling. It should be OPTIONAL - those who enjoy that extra aspect of the game should be allowed to forage for their own goods, but those who enjoy the questing and character advancement aspects more should have the option to simply buy those resources from a vendor.

I also don't like the idea that so many recipes have so many REQUIRED steps. Even a simple backpack requires a tanning step and a tailoring step. Most carpentry recipes require ingredients that have to be milled first. Again, that kind of complexity should be OPTIONAL - not required. For example, there should be an option to simply buy pine poles and pine boards from a merchant in order to make a chair.

That's just my opinion - I don't dislike this enough to stop me from playing the game but all of this tedium is without question my least favorite part of the game.

Hope that came across as specific and meaningful rather than as trolling.

majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Double-clicking would open the bundles and get you whatever was in them. Note that you are not guaranteed anything in the bundle, so it could all be junk.

Offline kind of changes the balance. Since you can't buy things, you have to hope you find what you need. However, note that you will now *need* any crafted item to play. Skill alone, plus food and buffs, are generally enough to make the difference in most fights.

Offline, I agree. Note that the eventual goal is that you can buy almost anything (non-crafted) that you need offline. You can buy Crowns from merchants for gold while offline, and spend those in the crown shop. Those items don't have craffted bonuses, but also don't take max durability damage so they can be used forever. If they added the option to purchase all recipes, and add gathering resources to NPC town "player" lots so you can gather them as desired, I think it would go a long way to help the offline game. Unfortunately, the offline game is in no way a priority for the devs at this point.
    Each finished item requires three steps: Gathering, Refining, and Production. These are the three sections of the Crafting skill tree.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Toular

Toular Avatar

In offline supply bundles should *never* be sold ... The chances of finding recipes and occasionally artifacts in them in offline is vastly higher than online.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
  7. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

Forgive me if I'm picking nits, but most items require a LOT more than 3 steps: Even for a simple dagger this is what you have to do:
    1. Buy an ingot mold, dagger blade mold, hilt mold, recipe for ingot, recipe for dagger blade, recipe for hilt and recipe for dagger from a blacksmith
    2. Buy coal from a crafting merchant
    3. Mine for iron or copper ore
    4. smelt the ore into an ingot
    5. Blacksmith the ingot into a dagger blade and hilt
    6. Blacksmith the blade and hilt into a dagger
    For a weapon with a handle, like a halberd, the steps are similar to the above JUST TO MAKE THE HALBERD BLADE - then you have to forage for wood, mill the wood into a pole and combine the handle and blade at the carpentry table.

With all of that said, it is nonetheless valuable to understand the 3 distinct sections of the crafting skills tree, so thank you.

SmokerKGB, FrostII and Fister Magee like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The single bright spot in all of that, is that once you have a recipe you have it forever and never have to get it again... :)

SmokerKGB likes this.
  9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Note also that many recipes are discoverable, meaning that if you add the correct ingredients to the crafting station, the CRAFT button will activate. Crafting the item "discovers" the recipe and it is entered into your book.
    SOTAWiki is a great place to find recipe ingredients.

DalTXColtsFan likes this.
  10. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

So here's an update - I finally built my first halberd (using the level 30 carpentry recipe, a maple handle and an iron halberd blade), then I socketed it with an emerald, then I enchanted it. It should be a +7 but the enchantment failed the first time and I lost 5 gold ingots darn it.

Am I on the right track? Anything I can do to make this halberd even more powerful?

P.S. the halberd on the right was found by pure chance. I think I like my new one better!

[​IMG]

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    "Yes it is!" and "you ain't missing much either!" ;)
    It just is what it is and that's all that there is! :p
    When you get it, you got it! :D~Time Lord~

12. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

It looks like each individual piece of armor can only have one encrusted gem at a time - I just tried to encrust two and it removed the gem I already had encrusted.

If I have a gem-encrusted weapon plus encrusted chest armor, helm, leggings and gauntlets will the bonuses "stack", even if I encrust them all with the same gem? Like if I have 4 pieces of equipment that all have an encrusted emerald will I have a total of +40 earth attunement instead of +10 (I *think* that's what it is)?

Same if I enchant all of them individually - will all of the enchantments and encrustment bonuses add onto each other?

13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, it'll all stack

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

You can embed one gem in each ring, amulet, chestpiece, weapon, or shield, with the exception of two-handed weapons which can have two (both must be the same type). Fixed, sorry

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Violet Ronso likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait wait wait... Did something change? Or did I fail to read all the words again? I thought only chests, weapons, rings, and amulets could be socketed.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

Nope, you're right. Was thinking of plain enchanting, not sockets. https://sotawiki.net/sota/Socketing

17. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

I assume you meant armor when you said chests. The wiki link is consistent with that assumption.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yes. Or, even more specifically, chest armor pieces. You can't add gems to legs, gloves, helmets, etc.

DalTXColtsFan likes this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, only chest armor can be socketed out of the 5 regular armor pieces

20. DalTXColtsFan

DalTXColtsFan Avatar

2 new questions:

1. From my experimentation, it looks like an individual item can be ENCHANTED multiple times and the enchantments stack. For example, the first enhancement would add 5 focus then the next 1.1 intelligence. Is there any reason not to just keep enchanting and enchanting over and over (other than repeated trips to the Etceter Crag Mines for gold ore)?
    2. Is there a "Gold Ingot (Batch of 12)" recipe? smelting them one a time gets boring in a hurry.

Thanks as always
    DalTXColtsFan Dragon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.