Crafting in New World and Crafting in Sota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

New World just posted a new crafting blog detailing how their crafting system will work .....pretty sure they read everything we have been complainging about here and implemented it in their game .. ;)

To name a few things they did right

- Decent crafting leveling progression ( Higher level crafters = lot better items then low lvl Crafters) - check
    - Highly skilled crafters can create items that are just as powerful as the items found in the World. -check
    - Crafted Gear with bonuses that enhance crafting skills - check
    - Perk system for craft skills ( not for combat ) - check
    - Recipes obtained through leveling craft skills - check
    - Durability for crafted items increases via crafting level ( not via dev request ) - check
    - Consumables that help with crafting skills - check
    - Different food tiers - check
    - Higher skills for consumbales - produces more /better food /potions - check
    - Furniture that provides passive buffs to combat and crafting - check

These are just a few .....

Lets take a look at some stuff i like

If you feel you’ve placed a point in error or you want to switch up your total point allocation, you can respec your attributes for a small fee of Coin. Early in the game, respecs are free so players have an opportunity to experiment without paying the respec fee.

I think respecs should be free in sota also ( or pay up some gold ) up to alvl 100 ( will help new players alot and when new youre bound to make mistakes , doesnt mean we gotta make you pay cause you didnt learn faster ) .

Trade Skills in New World

Trade Skills make up a variety of non-combat skills that you can master. There are 4 Gathering Skills, 5 Refining Skills, and 7 Crafting Skills.

[​IMG]

Gathering Skills

The 4 Gathering Skills are Mining, Skinning, Logging, and Harvesting. Leveling up a Gathering Skill unlocks the ability to gather different, higher-level resources. Miners gather Stone and Ore, Skinners gather Animal Hides, Loggers gather Wood, and Harvesters gather Fibers, Fruits, and Vegetables. As your skill at gathering increases, you also gain the ability to detect nearby valuable resources and find special resources that can modify items when crafting. ( Thats what our survey skill could do- detect rare nodes ... not high enough lvl ...cant see them).

Crafting Skills

The 7 Crafting Skills are Weaponsmithing, Armoring, Jewelcrafting, Engineering, Arcana, Cooking, and Furnishing.

• Weaponsmiths craft melee weapons.
      • Armorers craft soft and hard armors.
      • Jewelcrafters craft trinkets.
      • Engineers craft ranged weapons and ammunition.
      • Arcanists craft potions, tinctures, and magical weapons.
      • Cooks craft meals and drinks.
      • Furnishers craft furniture, storage, and trophies for houses.
    Leveling a crafting skill unlocks more recipes and more powerful versions of them. ( I like..certainly easier for new players then scouring vendors for that 1 recipe).

Crafted Consumables and Resource Efficiency

Crafting skills that create consumables, such as Arcana and Cooking, gain additional resource efficiency. For example, as a beginner Arcanist, crafting Healing Tinctures crafts them at a 1:1 ratio, while an advanced Arcanist has a chance to produce extra Healing Tinctures. This might seem small initially, but when you start crafting in bulk you can see yields greater than 30% in efficiency.

In Sota refining efficiency only works for some cooking materials ( like butchery... ) ...the end result of the consumables potion or food is always the same power or quantity no matter the cooking/alchemy level .

Additionally, many prepared food and drink items also offer buffs that can increase your defense against certain enemies, enhance your stamina recovery, or even temporarily hone a crafting skill. No matter what you are doing, it is important to have the right food for the task at hand.

We have been asking for food/potion buffs that help with crafting in like forever ...:(

There seems to be 4 tiers of food each tier providing better buffs for crafting

Tier 2 Food

[​IMG]

Tier 3 Food

[​IMG]

Crafted Equipment and Gear Score

Leveling Progression

The better you become in crafting equipment, the better the equipment will be. As you progress a crafting skill that creates equipment with a scaling gear score (such as weapons or armor), the overall potential gear score outcome begins to expand.

[​IMG]

Each equipment item has a few features in common that determine how powerful the item is. The first feature is the item’s Gear Score.Items with higher Gear Scores are more powerful: the higher the Gear Score is, the more damage the weapon will deal and the more protective the armor will be.

Basically at beginner level you can craft an Iron Sword with 1500 durability at more advanced levels same sword turns into an epic sword with 1650 durability and more damage.

In Sota you craft same durability weapons at beginner level (100) and epic level (150 +), and the damage difference between beginner and epic levels crafters is 0 :(

Next on the crafting system - Perks and Sockets which we dont even have in sota .

Crafted Equipment, Gemslots, and Perks

Anytime you craft a piece of equipment, it has a small chance of gaining one or more perks during the crafting process. Occasionally, you may even get an item with a socket for a gemstone. These outcomes are random, but during the crafting process, there are steps you can take to gain some control over the outcome.

[​IMG]

In Sota the only thing that happens during the crafting procces is ..the game deciding if your item will be exceptional or not ... :(

Resource Maximization and Gem Slots

You can increase your chances of getting an item with a gem socket by increasing the amount of that item’s primary resource used in the craft. For instance, if you want a Steel Sword to have a high chance of resulting in a gem slot, you would choose to use more steel when you crafted it. There are no guaranteed results here, but you can take the chance from low to high with enough resources.

[​IMG]

Very nice - sink more resources to get a desired outcome.

They have more complex features added feel free to visit their blog and read about em if you want to know more.

FURNISHING / FURNITURE

We have been asking for furniture with buffs in sota for years ...guess what ... the furniture in New world will provide combat and crafting buffs .

House trophies , for example ,grant passive bonuses for things like combat and crafting.....it’s possible to create powerful magical decorations that give your character buffs when they are placed on display in your home. These Trophies can do things like give you an advantage in combat against particular enemy types or improve your crafting abilities. However, each house can only have so many Trophies on display at a time, so you will need to consider which advantages you want to have on your adventures.

Crafted Items Versus Dropped Items in New World

Highly skilled crafters can create items that are just as powerful as the items found in New World.

@Chris you keep talking about ripping that bandaid off when it comes to crafting but its been months and nothing happened ?... Meanwhile you replaced all crafted gear a character could wear with artifacts and everything new that gets added is outside the crafting system... taming gear, bandit gear , weapons like ankhs, vex, air wands, cabalist hoods , warlock necks, attune rings .... theyre all very nice items but WHAT ABOUT CRAFTING ??? When do we get to make hoods as powerfull as the cabalist ones , wands as powerfull as vex and armor sets as good as bandit ???

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

@Elrond Me a lot of my friends are waiting for this game along with Life Beyond. Both have well-detailed thought out crafting systems. It should be a fun dive to get into these systems and test them out and hopefully have fun making tons of different items. With Sota I've come to the conclusion that you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. If you know the meaning behind that saying you'll get what I mean. Be well my friend!!

3. Charon

Charon Avatar

Interesting.

Signed up for the beta.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Elrond ; Well said brother. I will also be signing up for the Beta soon as I get home from work. R/Boris/El Pirata

Micmatty, Sulaene Moon and Elrond like this.
  5. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Thanks for posting this @Elrond Even if a few of these things get implemented over here it would be a huge leap forward, hopefully they will take notice of this.

Boris Mondragon and Elrond like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I wish we had some more info on the upcoming "crafting changes" that keep getting mentioned. I really need to make myself some new gear, but I've been holding off.

Xee, Scooby Doo, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Wow, yeah, this crafting system sounds like one that would make me spend a fortune to have people make me gear! I mean, yeah, they straight up checked everything crafters in this game wants, way to go for them, they will be drawing people from this game to theirs, for sure! Interested in seeing their combat system now, thanks for the info Elrond, and...

@Chris and @Elgarion (Tagging Elgarion so there is more chances Chris or #JustBzusThings see this), EVERYTHING listed in the OP needs to happen, like litterally ALL of it, not parts, the ENTIRETY! If you want happy crafters, this is what they need, don't even consider for a second that your +25% focus cost on a vex wand made it undesireable, all it did was make low level fire mages not understand how to be efficient and makes them struggle, while high level fire mages aren't even using 20% of their focus AFTER the change... Give crafting the system they deserve, and do it fast before there are no more crafters in this game and people complain that there is no more economy (even less than now...). Don't be scared to ruin your precious spreadsheets with OP gear, OP gear already exists since all these broken artifacts have made their wayy through, and REDUCE THE RNG so crafted gear can be priced reasonably!

8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I'm sure we'll just get....

9. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

It's not just the crafting that catches my interest in this game. I have been a long time proponent of both PVE and PVP large scale wars with catapults, trebuchets etc. This game has a purpose for playing not just an eternal grind to the next level whose scaling rewards become not worth the effort. These kind of invasions whether PVE or PVP is what brings out the people to join for a purpose. I had also previously asked @Elgarion about a one a month NPC invasion of a major city or POT that volunteered and they have the tools to do it and have done it before. The answer so far is silence. It is what it is folks. R/Boris/El Pirata.

Chatele, Scooby Doo, Micmatty and 2 others like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting game. I also signed up for the beta.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Guess I'll see you guys in beta as well.

Scooby Doo likes this.
  12. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Elrond, I am curious if you are in the alpha. I have followed this game for a while and have played a bit. The alpha forums are full of rage and not a happy community. Most large gaming guilds are avoiding it like the plague and refunds of preorders have been high. The crafting system looks great on paper but there is a 6 man PvE instanced encounter that drops the best loot in the game which has crafters pretty angry. The encounter is easy to do it you grind mobs and are lucky enough to get the key to open the instance. As I tell everyone, before you think about purchasing New World do your homework and research things. Don't be fooled by cool concept documents put out by devs and the grass is not always greener.

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Actually its the concepts that im interested in. I remember asking in a port stream if we can get a decent lvl -ing progression for crafting and Darkstarr eyes got big ... his reply was... ''no we cant do that...it would be bad .. would upset the players ''.... Its perfectly normal for a blacksmith to craft same sword at lvl 10 as a lvl 150 blacksmith .....

Ofc those players are long gone by now and the team continues making the game they want to make instead of the game we want to play .....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Which team member? Is there any team member who actually plays the game nowadays? Elgarion is too busy with CM stuff, Chris sits for hours in 1 spot while he talks to us, and that is pretty close to it.

I think you should chance that for "The team continues to make a game they want to make [...]" because clearly they don't like it enough to play it themselves...

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I recently started plaing Satisfactory, where you build factories. The crafting in it really makes me think 1/2 the SotA problem is the painful UI.

Crafting an ingot? Probably less than a second. A tube from that ingot? Like 10 per second.

Don't have the items you need? Right click on the recipe: Add to tasks. They then show up on your HUD with icons and a 33/100 (for example) number to show how many more you need.

It is painless. Pain... less... could we have painless please?

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Perhaps the band-aid of annoying crafters HAS been ripped off, and we just haven't realized it yet. It has been changed to be just perfect for the new target audience.

In which case, Adam Smith would be proud of the subtle pivot.

Bedawyn likes this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You forgot there will be 100,000+ players playing it, I’m super stoked about it.

I still want sota to do well and be great it’s a dream of mine since 2013.

18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thank you for reminding me of how bad the SOTA crafting system is.

In fact, the only really cool thing about SOTA crafting (the ability to "discover" any recipe by trial and error) was removed a long time ago.

Even the silly "walk to crafting station" animation before being able to make something is annoying and just wastes more time. Everything about our current system seems to be designed to waste our time more than make it fun to craft.

You want a nice sword? No problem, just make about 57 of them until you get 3 or 4 exceptionals that are worth trying your luck with the RNG Gods when masterworking/enchanting them. You might get lucky enough to end up with the stats you want but if not, just go get more stuff and make another 57 and try again. :mad:

19. marthos

marthos Avatar

Signed up for the beta as well.

I'm a huge fan of crafting, but still not sold on New World. In my opinion, any crafting system will fail if there isn't a mechanic to quickly remove items from the game. EVE Online does this well, when your ship blows up, you have to buy a new one that someone else has to make. Medieval setting games struggle with this it seems. The common idea is that to have full loot on death, but that doesn't actually remove gear from the game - it just transfers it to another player. The only way I really see a strong economy is if items decay and break at a very high rate.

Shroud's crafting system wouldn't seem so bad if players had to replace their gear every couple of days. All those garbage unexceptional swords now have a purpose - you use them up in easy areas until they break to save the wear and tear on your exceptional gear.

We need to move beyond thinking of our equipment as permanent fixtures of our characters and look at them as tools meant to be consumed and repurchased frequently enough to make the crafters feel like they are a necessary part of the game. Imagine if every crafter in Shroud stopped making gear tomorrow. How long would it take for the current inventory on vendors to be purchased, used, and destroyed? Would the playerbase even notice that the crafters all disappeared this month? This year? If nobody would really notice that all crafters left the game, then what exactly are they adding to the game by playing it?

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That is patently unfair to this game and its developers. It takes at least three times that many swords.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.