Crafting: Not fun

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Lord Baldrith, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

I would love to see a crafting system comparable to the one that vanguard: saga of heroes has introduced in 2007. Back then I beta tested vanguard and was amazed about the innovative approach of refining and crafting as well as of the completely new diplomacy system.

Quick search on youtube:

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. G Din

G Din Avatar

I loved Star Wars Galaxies. Just give me a smith's hammer to double click (near a forge) and a menu pops up. Then the resources required are known and you try to find the best quality of those resources.

3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Good video Duffrey. It gives you much more info on how awesome the Vanguard system is/was.

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I wish I had played this game. I watched some videos of it a few months ago and loved the way you could find higher quality resources. I enjoy depth in harvesting as well as crafting.

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

Yea, it was so much fun. Still the best crafting system i've ever worked with.

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

That's what we need to show here...some ideas so that we can expand/improve our current crafting system. Fun/immersion is the main goal here. Making it easier and more convienient will not make it more fun, but if it's how the system is going to be as-is, then I can only say...Okay, make it convienient so that I can quickly get done with what I'm making so I can go fishing and harvesting for more of my fun. I am the last person to down this game, but thus far the crafting system isn't gonna be fun for me.

Seeing my character get mad at effects, injury to my character...those would be nice additions. Having the table start on fire and I have to find a way to put it out as part of my crafting process...Ya that's good stuff. Needing to add some more thread because I tangled my other thread in the leather...sure nice condition there...Needing to add some more coal or oil to my ingot...Yep these things could be easily added to what we have now...The game of GUESS can become the game of make the project succeed with higher quality.

Time Lord, Alayth and majoria70 like this.
  7. G Din

G Din Avatar

I'm at the point now where I don't feel like crafting in games anymore. I'd rather let those, lesser in stature, do the work :)

I crafted in UO because before trammel the sense of accomplishment at GMing Smith was huge. Battling reds, mining at odd hours, and working the forge for tips was just awesome.

I crafted in Star Wars Galaxies because of the resource system combined with a slick crafting interface. Plus, 1 character / acct didn't dilute the economy.

After SWG I stopped caring about crafting because it no longer held any value or sense of accomplishment in these later MMO's.

Same with housing. In UO and SWG the player run aspects were more involved. Now, who cares?

8. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Sigh

Gunga Din likes this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Gunga: My Lord will be at your service :)

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  10. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

(psssssst, more money for us)

11. Laska

Laska Avatar

I found all the recipes here.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Main_Page

I actually loved the crafting. I like that you can double click the recipes and it just puts the resources on the table for you. Once you have the recipe in your book you are golden.

There were a few small things that bugged me.
    I wish you could see how many resources you have left when you building stuff.
    I wish that you could select stacks of resources to build items in bulk. Maybe stacks of 10 that way if you are making a lot of stuff while it doesn't make it to easy the repetitiveness goes down a bit.
    Also it would be great if when you create an item by clicking on the recipe if it would put the tool back in the bag it came from so you could keep it organized. Also if I have a stack of wood in one bad it would be great if it would automatically be added to that bag. It kind of sucks to have to re organize you bags after each round of crafting.

Other then that I liked it a lot as far as a basic crafting system that I assume will get better as it gets out of alpha with things like skills and advanced crafting...

12. deadq

deadq Avatar

I'm not big on crafting but I like what I see so far.

13. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I think people have said it before, but the more you can customize an object the more fun it gets to make it. This can easily be done when you think about it: many materials for different statistics, customization names, creator name stamp, customized look (I can think of 100 sword hilt styles) etc. Pretty standard and simple stuff to make rewarding crafting. The more PvE the game ends up being (sounds like the current vision), the more a rich crafting system is required to bolster game enjoyment.

wagram and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. rowan50k

rowan50k Avatar

Yeah I too would like to see something more from the crafting system. I might be missing something, but any sort of discovery mechanic is going to be pretty much obsolete as soon as someone writes all the combinations down on a wiki? And just clicking recipes, or even placing the items correctly positioned like in minecraft soon gets dull.

I definitely think there should be a random element to how well your item turns out, obviously influenced by your character skill level and the components used. So you get those rare, legendary items. However, I think there should also be some real player skill involved, just something quick, like timing a few button pushes or something so its not too repetitive, but you have to learn to hit those perfect timings to increase your chance of getting top tear stuff.

I also liked the system in vagrant story where you can combine weapons through crafting. So for instance, if you found a new sword you could forge your old weapon into it. Killing enemies with a weapon slowly changed its affinity, making it more powerful against particular enemies. This combining allowed you too keep your "weapon XP" when upgrading to a new blade. This type of thing would add depth and allow a weapon levelling system in parallel to that of the player.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I was thinking around this idea:

What if every player have certain properties hided different from each other that determine the posibility to craft something different with a common recipe:

• I have some ore and want to smelt it into iron ingots.
    • I can use the standard recipe (found it on sotawiki), or...
    • I could experimenting with that recipe.
    • First i set the smelting station into manual experimenting mode.
    • In that mode exists 2 properties with values from 1 to 100:
      • Time on fire
      • Temperature
    • A player could have hidden values for the perfect craft according to their skill at the moment (lets say 50 to Tof and 25 to T)
    • You set the values you think can enhance the resulting craft and see the results
    • Closer to the set point ---> better quality of the item.
    • If you succeed to enhance the recipe, it changes to: recipe of quality ingots.
    • Every time you craft the item with that recipe, you get the item with the enhanced quality.
    • Enchanced recipes shouldnt be traded or teached because they represent inherent and different characteristics of the crafter.
    Raw idea, feel free to destroy it.

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Very Awesome idea...It would create the feel of actually creating something instead of click I'm done. Yes, this would work well with the current system as well.

I keep hoping that it's just not done yet and the ability to do something besides look up all your receipes to create everything you want won't be the whole crafting system.

I think the enhancements you talk about would be awesome. They could create more durability on weapons, more capacity on containers, and perhaps more brilliant cosmetic looks on items. Discoveries are fine, but they should not be able to be researched online. They should be unique for each character. That is discovery.

Time Lord and fumblefingers like this.
  17. padreadamo

padreadamo Avatar

My ideal crafting system involves "Tinkering" like in Asheron's Call. I love the ability to mess around with my loot generated items. I'm sure this kind of system would directly interfere with the crafting economy but it would be cool to see their take on something like this since I'm not much a fan of pure crafting, but I'm not selfish.

-Padre

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lots of good ideas.

Really one of the things that I would like to see changed or enhanced upon is the "clicking on CRAFT" feature.

It doesn't add any interest to crafting. It's simply boring.

There's no oh no it's boiling over turn down the heat, .......or it's on fire put out the fire, ........or .......oh no you've cut yourself where's a band aid.

As much as some of this could be a pain in the butt at times, it is to me also much more interesting,

It's not just CLICK CRAFT and wait to see if you SUCCEED or Fail and by HOW MUCH.

You are interacting with the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.