Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting Table suggestion(s)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Kirthag, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

Fidgeting with crafting more, and after moving things back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth....

... you get the idea. My wrist & hand are cramped after about an hour of ripping boards.

Map areas of the crafting table gump for specifics (below is the mill table, but you get the idea).
    [​IMG]
    1 - raw material area
    2 - tool area
    3 - results area

Then you can create your formulas within the programming, for example...
    To rip logs into resources
    area 1 = 1 log
    area 2 = cubit
    if true create 3 timber, 2 board, 3 bark

Can leave the results in area 3.
    Can leave tool in area 2.
    Just add another log and click that create button, and resulting items will auto stack in area 3.

Now, this could lead to storage of items within the table, which I don't think would be a bad idea, but someone else's "auto loot" idea (forgot his name) on a public crafting table would be nice. And if too heavy, a message would appear, "you cannot carry all of your items" sort of thing. But if it is in a private home, should be able to store a limited amount (must have max) to avoid hoarding.

Believe me, I know something about hoarding pixels (remember, UO player here).

So, by mapping areas of the crafting table, it will lower instances of carpal tunnel pain and make the act of crafting raw materials a bit more enjoyable. Might make it a bit easier as well to script new crafting recipes, program the checks, and tweak out any variances in the resulting code. Might be able to really expand a bit as well on players creating their own items (and custom tools) for creating more wonderful items.

I personally want a plane for carpentry as well as carving tools for leather crafting.

curt, Aegis159 and ArcanumVeritas like this.
  2. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

along those lines ... does seem a little right to left ... contrary for writers of english ...

I like the idea of output not getting in the way ... so you can repeat/repeat etc ... especially for logs/ingots/bars etc

I think I would prefer however .... (MoSCoW ratings to those of a Requirements bent: Must have, Should have, Could have, Would have)
    (S) - Click of recipe book to "load" a table, this would still allow experimentation because you could add/remove stuff, it would simple be the starting point ... Then you would click craft once you're ready
    (W) -- This would ideally have different recipes for "expert" tools, especially if they wore out - as you would only use them top end, not the rough and ready you'd be for basic planks/bars etc
    (S) -- Would only work if you had the appropriate table open at the time
    (M) - Click to clear crafting table (don't care where the button is put, it could be 1/4 the size of the "Craft" button and be fine)
    (M) - Auto loot if you wander too far to keep it open
    (C) - fiddly tool size, maybe slightly bigger
    (M) - needs single (shift/crtl) click to select "one" of a stack
    (C) - choice select from stack could be a little more intuitive, I did it by accident and couldn't reproduce until my son helped

Notes
    (M) -Assuming in Multi-player, the table is in use (and other people can't take items off it) - goes to the auto loot if you wander away / Else all tables are unique and people see own versions only (as if single player)

Kirthag likes this.
  3. aevans

aevans Avatar

Just posted a comment on another thread:

I think there needs to be a proper distinction on which parts of the crafting table are used for what purposes. I don't think that is viable with the current art assets for the crafting tables.

Aegis159 likes this.
  4. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I like this idea of hotspots, so you can leave the end products and tools on the table as you continue crafting.
    I'd prefer if the tools hang off slots along the front edge of each table, rather than being placed in the back.
    Then materials can be placed anywhere on one side of the table, and finished products would show up at the other side.

I don't see weight becoming an issue, because you're not adding any more to the product than you already had as raw materials..
    In general, the sum of the end products should add up to less weight than the raw materials used to make them. :D

Aegis159 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.