Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting: Why do you bother?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Duke Death-Knell, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

At this point I'm so angry and frustrated at crafting I'm thinking about selling my account!

First there's gathering, pitiful amounts every time I harvest. And that's with like 70 in MC and the obsidian potion.
    Second I end up killing much longer then gathering
    Third the RNG is garbage

I spent literally weeks gathering the materials I needed
    5 halbreds 4 fail mastercrafting at 83% plus
    Make a chest armor piece mastercrafted, then it and the one I'm wearing destroyed during enchanting also over 80%

I started with 45 silver bars, I now have 5 left and burned 10 gold as well.

After 15 years of MMORPG crafting this has got to be the absolute worst.

2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Well it is an improvement over EQ1 where you had to manually add each item to the tool then poof it could fail and all is lost. Okay maybe not, this version gets your hopes up first with a decent item then poof when making it an excellent item.

But in answer to your question, I don't bother with masterwork or enchants and stick with the decent item.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I never did EQ1. By the time I got interested in online gaming it was a game called Horizons, then EQ2. And while horizons was a grind and a lot of work it was still a lot of fun. It was kind of like this system except there were a lot more materials to work with.

This system is just so much work for so little reward.

Ice Queen, Kaisa, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

I'm not sure how it took you weeks to gather that. That's 2-3 hours of mining for me and my Meticulous Collection is about the same as yours. Is it the wood? I'm blacksmithing, so all I really need is metal.

Olthadir and Nolove 0369 like this.
  5. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

I completely Agree,
    The amount of materials needed are way to over the top, this has been brought up over and over, and Directly answered buy Starr, and there will be no changes for some BS reason.

The lack of Yield and time it takes to gather resources, is worst then a second job. And again been push and pushed for adjustment, and we get response back like there has to be risk Vs reward, that's means every single tree has to have a wolf guard it, every mining node needs a Elemental, every cotton bush has a Mage or Archer mob on it. because we really have to take RISK VS REWARD to a out of this world level.

6. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

Yeah this has culled down my playtime with the game. I find the risk Vs reward is flawed. If you want to make it so that there is a reward and you make the material cost so high you need to also then make an easy enough way to make the result of all that work turn into something of value. Such as able to sell it for what seems like a reasonable amount to a store (NPC or personal). The return on investment is pitiful for most crafters minus ones that typically want to screw people out of money with faking names and what not.

There is very little balance in the game for a crafter IMO.

7. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Seems fine to me, on the success rates / materia gather times etc.
    After not long doing Mastercrafting Im now up to just over 50 and just started chain mastercraft, and lastnight for example training it I made about 8 augmented chain legs to train on (as I needed new leg gear anyhow)
    1 rolled exceptional so put that away till Im more skilled... The other 7 I then attempted to mastercraft upto 3 times each/ when it broke
    It was a lucky night, at the end, after then enchanting the surving pieces , I had 4+8s and 1+7 (non exceptional). That was at 91, 60ish and 30ish % chance.
    Total used was some of my stock of iron that I gathered lastweek and didnt sell, and about 100 silver ingots which was about 3 hours of mining approx in one of the mines.
    Also was some hours for gold too, but that was a sets worth of decentish stat gear.
    The key is to always have something else to use, if your enchanting your only halberd youll break it :p, always have 1 spare of whatever it is that your enchanting and just alternate the items so you slowly upgrade.

Dirk Hammerstrike, Snazz and MrBlight like this.
  8. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Agreed, there has to be some risk vs reward, but goddam cotton and iron arnt rewards, they are BASIC materials so should be available for non combat gatherers. The risk vs reward should come in with rarer and tiered materials.
    Maybe so tungsten and nickel only spawned in iron nodes in dangerous areas, and the gold and silver. Also if they simply made the mines get harder the deeper you went but also yield more ore per node at a deeper level.
    Thats risk vs Reward, atm what we have as you point out is no /little Reward for a random level of risk.

9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well my percentage is suppose to be 83% success. But in reality my success rate is about 27%

uhop and Snikorts like this.
  10. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Because I can make +15 armor for myself .... and sell the crap I make in the process .... not a money maker but makes me happy!

Pepsy, Rael and Ihuma like this.
  11. Qwark

Qwark Avatar

i will probably have to give up masterworking now, because i can no longer clear a room fast enough to even harvest one node before respawn and there is no way i can afford to buy silver. it's very frustrating.

12. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I look up the crafting % on many games via google and wiki's and this game has the worst. But the % still are not working. I am a 95/83/46% enchanter at 109, materwork and special in blades both over 90 and I break more items on the first enchant or masterwork than I succeed. I should not even have a worry at the first two and be a bit brave maybe on the third. But I am seeing most of my work blow up on the first tries. This is not just bad luck. And all that after endless grind in the mines fighting more than I mine. I remember the kickstarter comments they made that they would never have an endless recourse grind game. If they gave up all this tying to control everything and just made a fair across the board system (sandbox) and left it in our hands like they are supposed to this game could come out amazing.

It is crazy to think they can control anything with people involved. Just even the numbers and watch for cheating and leave us to a fair playable game please.

Rasp, Duke Death-Knell, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I have a huge huge issue with the RNG and breakage with crafting; the only reason why I bother is that making things is why I play these games, crafting is my main interest.
    Even then though, collecting over 100 beetles at 3-4 per trip over the course of a week and having ZERO PIECES OF ARMOR to show for it because of breaking every last item I tried to make, all at "82% or higher" success, really saps one's desire to proceed with it. That and if something does manage to survive it never quite has the stats you want because of the random way in which mw/enchant are applied

Personally, for the resource costs of things, there should be no failure whatsoever on 1st or 2nd attempts at GM skill level. I think that would be balanced. Then if you don't get the stats you want, at least you could give the item to someone else or sell it instead of just being completely out all the resources and time. As a GM, you should be cranking out exceptionals more often than not, not at a 25% chance that never actually seems to be 25% (I made 20 helmets the other day and got 1 exceptional, that's a pretty disparity). Guildmate crafted 5 exceptionals in a row. Point is, your crafting skill should be reflective of your skill, not a dice roll.

Scale breakage rates to 100% success for 1st and 2nd attempt on mw enchanting at GM level.
    Let players choose what effects they want or at least give more than 3 choices; with enchanting there are 10 possible outcomes on a non-gemmed item, and 7 of those choices (the minors, and the health/focus) are "undesirable." Let us pick what we want, ffs, we've paid the hundreds of resources, paid the thousands in cash sink, spent hours refining all this crap after days mining/harvesting it in the first place, crap, let us make what we want.

If doing this means you need to make it cost 50 ingots per go instead of 5, I'm cool with that, I got no issue with spending the time. I hate wasting my time having nothing to show for my efforts, its extremely demotivating.

That would fix 90% of the problem with crafting. The absurd amount of materials and the fact that you can't make a profit doing anything would still be there, but at least if you could choose what you get and guarantee success up to a point, you could offer crafting as a service for materials. Right now, you can't do that, all you can do is try to sell off the crappy stuff that didn't break for minimal price to recoup a fraction of your time/effort.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am really liking crafting improvements since I have been back. I know it needs work and as always I would never want to see anyone give up on an incomplete system. It is very frustrating at times of course. And crafting like all the other systems in the game are not completed yet. ;)

I do think it is definitely not balanced at this time, and it does not have all it's components added in. I truly believe more is coming to flesh it out. I would love to see little things that make it more fun and they are not yet there, for example we need some fun stuff and some things that make us like crafting. Like sometimes you have a chance to make two of something depending on your crafting skills of course or and sometimes you craft something unusual and rare. I craft all the time, mostly for making things for Wizards Rest to do Deco,or sometimes I'll craft a piece of armor or new outfit.

Tonight I was amazed, running around doing a one man band using sheet music, totally amazing to click on a piece of sheet music that had been crafted and to think 'now I can just hand someone a lute and a piece of sheet music and they will be playing a song in such an amazing way. Some people do not want to download and copy files to anyplace at all so what ease we are getting for that feature in the game. Yes it is off topic a little but the crafted sheet music is part of crafting that has recently come in. I'm just waiting for all the next stuff that is coming in. Also all the feedback given is so important to get the system up to what this game deserves. :)

15. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

Those words are thrown around a lot. Pre-release but lets that really is not true. The game is not finished but they never are. The game is able to be bought on Steam to the gen public. they are selling items (income) in the store, they let players buy and sell game items ect.. this is a released game it just has some ways to go. This is not unusual. Windows is considered still in beta. They all where. This is just a legal term that lets the company get away with changes that may effect users.

These things we know but the company still needs to consider the players especially since we funded and continue to fun the game.

16. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I do craft in rl and crafting in itself is a process. Certain aspects depend on the weather temps , quality of materials, and design. I understand the miserly amounts in game of gathering materials is quite frustrating. The mechanics are improving in game and it is getting more realistic.

As in rl you cannot always be the master of all things but somethings. If I need a buggy wheel repaired for my buggy (yes I own 2) I do have to take it to another blacksmith in the area. I cannot repair a buggy wheel, but I can create a flawless cutlery item. In a pinch, I will go and purchase one. Hopefully that is the dynamics the game is progressing to. Time is money and money is time. As they tweak, hopefully gathering materials will come more abundant as our farmers grow and our gathering areas reach full production.

nimueCW, Aklys and Nolove 0369 like this.
  17. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@DarkStarr , @Chris @Lord British

Are you Guys listening to the player base, this type of Sugestions have been going on for the last 4 releases, What do we as players have to do to get you (the Devs) to understand what we the CASH Paying PLAYER BASE, Really wants so Our game can be Amazing...

18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I can make you dissapointent even more :) After you spent huge ammount of resourses and sell your +11 enchanted and mastercrafted weapon/armor you will never get this customer again, it is one of most awful crafters feature in Sota, and the main reason why Sota economy is dead now.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not arguing complaints are invalid. They need to be heard, so continue on. There are many problems with game in many places. Offering suggestions with the complaints helps most, not saying you didn't but this is constructive complaining ;) Carry on. :)

Alexander, Nolove 0369 and Leelu like this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Is there anyone whose actually got recorded numbers on their crafting %s to backup that the RNG on crafting is broken?
    I ask simply becasue i havnt done a Whole lot, but crafting between me and a few buddies.. and so far im right at that 24-25% chance for exceptional, aswell as on average dont break things more often then i should. Ive had my unlucky streaks.. but ive also had my lucky streaks..

While im not going to touch on the idea that getting materials is actually hard (because i feel even high end isnt and it should be ) Isnt weeks to build somethign quite the exaggeration? Weve done longswords. longbows, hailberds, plate armor etc etc.. and the longest was white iron plate armor, excep with socket, enchant x2 , masterwork x 2.. and total your probly looking at like 3-4 hours worth of material gathering.. for a peice of armor that your using pretty much till end game.
    I dont feel it takes THAT long to get the materials.. one sit down ill go get all pine/maple. another day ill do pure silver.. (and thats like 150 ore an hour).. which kinda funds multiple attempts.
    The only thing im finding actually taking long to get enough of is Beetles.. and even then it goes up pretty steady if you grab em while doing other things.

But yea.. anyone actually test say over 100 attempts / 1000 crafts of something that shows that the RNG is actually broken? The last thread like this someone posted statistics that were in favor of it being pretty much dead on, or are you just mad you broke your only weapon? (in which case i feel ya but .. )
    Im just thinken its no more materials then making Fancy Long bows, and 1 real day of farming the mats i generally do 5-10 attempts.. so weeks seems like your just exaggerating to me.

Rael, uhop and Anvar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.