Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting: Why do you bother?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Duke Death-Knell, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Crafting is indeed unfinished still, but primarily in need of measures to ensure equipment is in demand. At the moment, its cheaper to buy a coto and repair current equipment than it is to buy new equipment, and also armor in particular lasts for months for those who do not spam body slam and whatever that other defensive skill that breaks armor is.

At the moment your best business is gonna be in cheap, lower end weapons that are cheap enough for soemoen to want to buy them specifically for blowing them up while working masterwork or enchanting. Also in things like consumable that can be sold lower than NPC price.

2. Tilric

Tilric Avatar

My favourite is taking two ingots plus alloying material to make a single ingot. I get that it's a game, and a fantasy game, but this is also a game that shows you using a loom shuttle. Other games have been overly generous and done 1 base material + some alloying material = 2 alloy, which is equally silly (bronze is typically 12% tin) . I'd be pretty happy with 3 ingot + alloying material = 2 ingots. You're still getting some wastage on the smelting but it's not ludicrous at this point. You could alter the availability of the alloying materials, or require 3/4/5 alloying material to slow down the production of alloys if that's the goal.

3. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I bother because I want the satisfaction of being able to craft good gear that I wear and that my friends and others get to see that I made. But the current process of grind-for-hours to harvest and refine and then rely on an instantaneous mouse-click and a flawed RNG to decide if all that hard work results in a usable item is totally unfulfilling.

Dealing with RNG is like going to college for 4 years and then losing a dream job because the person I interviewed with was pi***d-off for some unrelated reason and in a bad mood so they transfer their beef on me that day.

Grinding to harvest is fine. Watching a progress bar take 10 seconds to turn an animal hide into leather, while simulating the time taken to refine is a total buzzkill. If I have to alt-tab out of the game to surf the internet while I smelt 20 ingots there's something not right.

I like the idea of multiple tiers of refinement to make the finish product. I like the idea of having to sometimes rely on someone else to make a product that I can enchant, because I don't have Blacksmithing skill while they don't Enchant. But there's some mechanics inherent in the process that need Dev creativity to improve upon the experience.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

That's a feature. You are supposed to take that time during crafting to answer mails, forums posts, and read the calendar of events. I hope. Because, yes, crafting is boring, not fun, and lame in a video game that's supposed to be entertaining. I mean, why doesnt it have a golf swing double click bar, or some kind of mini game to improve the odds? or just hold attention.

And sure, addons and deco are easier to crank out, but if you dont make it a business priority, then add ons are what's lower on the priority list and the game itself is whats more important than cashgrabs

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Kirran likes this.
  5. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I quite like the foundation of the system we have now. I feel like the increased risk for going for the better item is a good system that makes the very best stuff unique but also doesn't make too much of a gap between items that are relatively easy to achieve and the top tier stuff.

It definitely takes a lot of work to create a set of +10s, but also everything is tradeable, so it absolutely must be time consuming and preferably also somehow difficult. I feel like you cannot have a true economy based gear system and guaranteed rewards.

My experience after about ~400 items broken with masterworking and enchanting does not suggest that there is anything wrong with the math behind the chances displayed. Obviously this is totally anecdotal as evidence.

6. Tilric

Tilric Avatar

Yeah, I don't mind the break on failure chance, though I would not complain if it were removed for the first enchant/MW or two and then applied only when going for the high end. Or if the breakage risk was, say, 10% for the first enchant then 50% for the second, etc.

What I really dislike is the lottery method for what you actually get to apply. Admittedly, it's better than Aion, but then again banging two rocks together in the corner is better than Aion.

Rampage202 likes this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

OK, so I'm 10 failures on 16 tries now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.