Crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfire, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

I have been around since 2014
    I have been an active player since persistence
    I'm also more of a casual player and tend to solo
    I like to read the forums and put Input here and ther
    Some information from where I'm coming from

Crafting is suppose to be a major point of sota. All gear is player made and there is a lot of resources and components that go into crafting. Ever since persistence I have heard the scream from crafters to make it better, now not substantially better but a good polished pass. But crafting has continued to be neglected sure adding new components and craftable gear is not ignoring it but what is asked is a nice good polished pass through it. Chris has mentioned that they want to allow specialization and want to add decay and lots of wants but it still is not being done and we are getting so close to launch. I personally would like to see some specialization come into effect, everyone can craft everything the need to find a crafter or to go and buy from someone else is low at this time, and I'm sure when a lot of new players join that need will go higher but I don't need to find someone to do my blacksmithing for my carpentry parts. I would like to see this be addressed sooner rather then later. I have made suggestions and they may not be the answer so I would like this thread to just be ideas.

What do you think would help the crafting system???

A couple of ideas I had was

1. choose three disciplines from each school, gathering, producing, and crafting to each player. this limits the players but allows them to put as many points into those schools as possible but then would require some work with other players for what they need.

2. increase masterwork and enchanting percentages even slightly in 3rd and 4th roll

3. having a markers mark for everyone who works on a piece of gear

4. add the mini-games that was promised from kickstarter into crafting and producing

5. add much more enchant and masterwork possibilities ( I loved crafting in ultima online because no two pieces of gear were ever really the same it made it unique and interesting)

6. add even weekly repeatable quests that can be done to gain a little extra exp. or gold that can then be used to buy supplies from others (these quests could even be to purchase gear that goes into loot tables see next idea)

7. put player crafted gear and resources into the loot table as promised in the kickstarter

I think this being a major point of the game that we should all come together to support sota in coming up with good creative ideas to improve the system maybe have some polls on ideas.

Crafting has been neglected for to long who is with me? Share your ideas!!!

Bankee and Mototopo like this.
  2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I'm like you in how I play SotA. Casual but crafting minded. While I'm fine waiting since I know it's on their radar, I agree I'd love to see some love given to crafting soon. I like some of your ideas. My favorites are:

Makers Mark: While gear already has your name on it I think more provenance for crafted gear would go a long way. I've heard them mention letting the history go along with each piece of gear, like perhaps the quest kills (Phoenix, etc) where it was used. I think you can engrave items too, but the idea of player crafted gear going into loot tables sounds great to me. If it gets sold to Port via an NPC vendor or when it fails to sell on a public vendor, by all means put it in the loot table. Better than a rusty dagger.

Crafting Quests: Go out and find the rare ingredient. Craft a special item for a royal. Those kinds of things are engaging. Makes the player explore more too.

Good topic.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I like some of the suggestions, I just don't like the idea that I can only choose a few skills. If I want to spread out my exp over a lot of them, why should I not be able to? The specialized crafters will still be sought out as they will have focused the exp into just a few and have better masterworks and enchants. I am gm in blades, but when I want a blade MWed I go to someone who has higher skills. People come to me for other things like polearms and tailoring, not many have gm polearm and my tailoring is higher then gm.

Nelzie likes this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I agree about disliking the choosing a few skills.

While I could spend time seeking out someone to craft something that I wouldn't be able to and then tell them each bonus to go for with each masterwork and other part of the process...

I'd rather just do it myself, save the hassle. There's really just not enough XP to keep every crafting skill GM'd with skill decay after death. Which means one will constantly have to be working HARD at crafting to keep oneself at the GM level or higher and that will end up putting focus onto or into very specific trees.

They've done a really good job of sussing this all out. Just keep playing and you'll see how it evolves over time. Some people are going to gravitate towards individual crafting skills, because they want/need those items, nearly everyone will be amazing alchemists with incredibly enchanting skills, but... that's going to give people the direction they want with finishing an item.

I don't know if I'm ever going to become the best carpenter... even with my current interest in Wands, but... I will likely be a fantastic tailor, possibly a killer blacksmith too.

5. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

They should lower the xp you get from salvaging, i can become GM Blacksmith without craft anything.

Augmented and Epic recipes should have a level cap. Like Epic Armor with Skill 100.

Crafting Quests on a Daily basis but you can choose only 1 job a day.

Salvage should give you stuff you can use to build repair kits.

Refining skills should add high quality Ressources that adds a Bonus for a +1 Craft.

EMPstrike and Hornpipe like this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The minigames they will add to crafting will likely relieve some of the rng and replace it with a mental challenge instead i hope.

I really enjoyed Hacking in eve and how the skill gave you more tools to complete the minesweeper-type minigame instead of improving your rng

Hornpipe and Nelzie like this.
  7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

You cannot learn certain recipes without achieving a given level of skill already.

There should be no recipes that required skill level 100 to be able to learn. One can already be very accomplished and knowledgeable before becoming a grand master at a thing. Being a GM in a crafting skill should allow for much more meaningful masterwork and enchantment bonuses though.

8. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

How do you that? salvaging weapons give me 10xp, for a million xp, it means 100000 weapons to salvage ? or maybe i am wrong and salvaging give more?

Nelzie and Mac2 like this.
  9. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I dislike the idea of choosing only tree crafting skills. BUT i aprove the others suggestions, my suggedtions are:

1) higher percentiles to 3th master/enchant for grandmasters;
    2) new enchantments options;
    3) Refinig time reduction for gms;
    4) Higher your crafting skill better your exceptional item chance;

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  10. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Normal or Augmented Plate feels pretty useless cause you get very fast, with nearly no effort already the epic one. But thats just how i see it.

11. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Get xp from mining and push blacksmith through salvage rusty stuff

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Are you trying to say to level the blacksmith skill with salvaging is to fast, or the exp gained from salvaging is to much? I salvage EVERYTHING, and it hardly makes my exp move.

Nelzie likes this.
  13. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Level Blacksmith skill is to fast, not gaining xp. If you have enough xp you just have to go to the Hilt, collect all stuff that lies around and salvage it on the table. Let them respawn and repeat. Fastest GM in crafting i made.

Mac2 likes this.
  14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

ok, I gotacha. Every actions seems to put the same amount of exp in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.