Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crash upon death, Linux

Discussion in 'Release 29 Bug Forum' started by Wintermute of CoF, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

1. Title: Death leads to crash on Linux
    2. Reproduction Rate:100% of two deaths so far
    3. Blocker?Not completely, but Ankh revive timers are not an issue for me
    4. Details:Scene goes black, for a few seconds you can move around (compass spins) even though you can't see, then CTD
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Die
    6. User Specs:
      CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4) System RAM: 7982
      GPU: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 1024
      SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.405.Date.04.28.16

Looks like it may be related to Camera jumps around.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    jama, Soliwilos, strabo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I have the same issue, also Linux. Fastest graphics mode made no difference.

Gentoo Linux 64bit kernel 4.5.2
    Nvidia drivers 364.19
    Resolution 2560x1440

3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

In the new update it doesn't always crash, just renders the system unresponsive with a lot of disk activity. Still looks exactly the same. After five minutes I managed to kill the process from the command line.

Edit: replace actually with always, because most times it still crashes, I think the disk activity was abrt.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So this morning I've managed to die three times on the trot without crashing, pertinent info:
    1. I have upgraded CPU & RAM since yesterday
    2. It's a lot less busy in general on the servers at this time
    3. When I die, my ghost is teleported to an apparently random point on the map
    4. If I make it to an Ankh, my ghost is again teleported to a random point on the map
    5. After making it to an Ankh a second time I was revived, but at a random point on the map, way up high, so that when I moved I got 124pts of fall damage
    6. When running away from the Elven Mage I spawned above I cast a heal and was then frozen to the spot (I think this is a common issue)
    7. As I was frozen to the spot I then died again, but was unable to move to the Ankh
    8. While I was typing this I respawned at the entrance, then promptly fell through the map
    9. Eventually I landed by the entrance again, no waiting for death penalty to expire
    10. The fourth time I died, crash

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

In an exciting new variation (now that my extra RAM makes it possible to survive death): I was pulled into a random encounter, I died, I did the usual falling through the scene thing, this exited the scene (assume the random encounters are generally smaller than 'real' scenes) and landed back on Novia with a six and half minute death penalty.

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

This evening back to crashing every death again.

7. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Same problem here.

1. Title: Death leads to crash on Linux
    2. Reproduction Rate:100% of 4 deaths so far
    3. Blocker? Preventing me from getting through control point Nightshade Pass.
    4. Details: As soon as death occurs my camera appears to launch from the planet surface and turn to blackness in space.
      This is what appears on the command line: "Aborted (core dumped)"
      From the Player.log for the most recent incident:

Resource.RespawnInternal test result: ItemAlreadyLocked, HasOwner=False

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

Resource.RespawnInternal test result: ItemAlreadyLocked, HasOwner=False

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

IncomingBytes: GameBytes=928, GroupBytes=50, SceneBytes=50, TotalBytes=1028, NumPlayers=1, Scene="Novia_R3_Hills02_Hilt_Exterior"

PlayerKilledByMonster Victim="Tanda Trollop", Killer="Timber Wolf", Scene="Novia_R3_Hills02_Hilt_Exterior", Position=(104.9, 4.061, -124.9)!

5. Steps to Reproduce: Die
    6. User Specs:
      CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor × 2
      System RAM: 12GB
      GPU: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 using nVidia drivers
      SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.407.Date.04.29.16

8. behorne

behorne Avatar

I realise that this is a known issue for the devs since release of 29 and I am assuming that they will be working on a solution for it.
    I keep logging in to see if its fixed but not yet :(
    I have tried to play like this but death means restart client, log in again, death penalty for 5 mins. All in all I cant really play it like this.
    Can the devs give any indication if this will be fixed soon or at release 30 or any info to give me something to look forward to. Please.

9. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@behorne @Bluefire @Wintermute of CoF @Soliwilos

These are known issues for Linux that we are working to resolve ASAP.
    Significant issues we're currently aware of that we are prioritizing fixes for:
    1. Linux resolution reset issues
    2. Movement bugs including being unable to return to idle and movement locking when skills are used while running
    3. Falling through the world/being thrown out of the scene by dying
    4. Falling through the world/being thrown out of the scene by having coconuts equipped in some scenes

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

One thing which you probably already know but that I didn't realize might be a bug until recently: if I right click in reticle mode then my avatar runs forward, as described at the telethon that should be both buttons pressed to move forward? They were all pretty drunk by that point, so I may have misunderstood.

If the death crash can't be fixed in the last R29 build, what are the odds of reducing/removing the death penalty timeout for us so we can at least play in the higher risk areas until R30 comes along?

11. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It's two systems currently. When in cursor (interactive) mode, it uses the old system of left and right to move forward while right click is used for free-look. However, when in targeting/reticle mode only right-click is necessary for this function. This is currently by design.

Polaris Penguin likes this.
  12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I have this and hate it, but since it's known, I'll be quietly waiting for a fix.

However, I have a workaround! When you're stuck after a skill (and probably being beaten to a pulp by mobs), just roll to one side or sprint forward, by double tapping W (for sprint) or A/D (for side roll). It'll free the avatar!
    Yesterday I died for the first time [:cool:], and experienced the "launch into orbit" sequence and crash.

Ok, it's a bug.

But I must admit it was obscenely cool to be flung into space like that. We should really keep such a "feature" in homage to Richard's space travels! :D

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Cool. I've been casting Healing Burst and/or Strength of Earth as they both also seem to unlock movement.

In one of the moments when I didn't crash immediately I managed to grab a screenshot of the planet :)

One thing I noticed last night: if you hold down one of the WASD keys it stops you flying, if you release the key you then immediately fly into the air. If you're ready for it and/or moving when you die then it is possible to move to the Ankh. However, since taking your finger off the WASD key causes you to immediately fly into the air it is very difficult to stay at the Ankh long enough to actually resurrect.

Also, probably a separate bug, I managed to get fall damage and level up Safe Fall while I was a ghost :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

First time I had that happen I was tripped out. Once I even landed behind some mountains in Eastreach Gap. I could where people were supposed to walk. Just couldn't get there myself. At least not without hitting the Novia World map first :D

15. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Interesting Unity Linux things occurring here:

https://twitter.com/natosha_bard

Not sure if any of the newer builds will improve the Linux versions or address the bugs though.

Still looking forward to seeing Vulkan added when they get around to doing it.

16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

As I understand it, she's switching the Unity3D Linux runtime from using their own implementations of input and window management on top of X11 to using the SDL2 library (which will transparently enable support for Wayland and Mir on Linux, and would also work as a common interface across Windows, Mac & Linux if they want). Given the number of UI related bugs we're used to I'm pretty sure this will be a net win - even if we get a few new bugs, they'll at least be different ones!

Polaris Penguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.