Critical hit changes (R34) and the upcoming interruption change (R35).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I think this development is going to have a positive effect on my current "earthquake and mage punch" build with regards to the earthquakes not getting interrupted so often when I'm being wailed on by 4 angry bandits.

Thanks for looking into it and the update Chris!

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Luckily, I use Carapacian cloth with Cons. Chain chest, so the only nerf now is mostly my bronze material bonus on 2HS

Working Earth too, although mainly dumping xp into getting T4 death GM'd

(and GM vital/weak spots plus stats)

3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Everyone complaining about regearing and respecing seem to have forgotten that it's a construction zone with monthly releases.

Just wait for the next major crafting change where you will need to re-re-spec your re-re-geared respeckgear.

4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I find it a little ironic that we have all these people posting examples of how the displayed crafting percentages don't seem to correspond to the actual results and they all get told "a few examples don't prove anything" and "you don't have a large enough sample size" but then a sample size of 10 is enough to provoke a complete rewrite of the maths for a combat skill.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Couldn't be said any better. But I also chalk that up to the fact that there are a lot of people who are extremely hyper sensitive to any critique of the game and they will attack anything.

Unlike crafting, we can get *large* sets of data from crits, one could sit there and count forever.

Crafting has to be done in smaller sets. I make 10 here, 25 there, 15 the next time with an accumulative set of say 300. In each smaller set I show the percentages and in every single case, they are under the probability. For example, I crafted 10 bronze swords 2 days ago at a 25% chance and got 2 swords (which again is 20%). People will attack that set even after stipulating that this is a piece of a lot larger set.

Would love to see someone have the resources to try and craft 300 bronze swords at one time (lol).

6. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

Thanks a lot for your reply (and for your initial posting of course). Now I can focus on enjoying the game again instead of continiously wondering how all that stuff is supposed to work :-D

Just to make that clear (in case I sound impolite / overly critic in my postings): I really like the game and have a great time playing it. So keep up the great work!

MrBlight and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I doubt the formula was copied from the code that will be implemented... but it looks like the MAX and MIN are the wrong way round, i.e. it should take the max of (damage/health or 5%) and then the min of (that result or 80%)

Thanks for the info dump, I don't really monitor these things in game but enjoy seeing the nuts and bolts exposed on the forum!

8. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Except that if you were actually paying attention to the conversation, there were tests run by multiple people using thousands of hits as thier sample size to determine what the crit rate was at, and the best we've seen for crafting is a bunch of people talking about crafting 10 or 20 pieces here and 10 or 20 pieces there and remembering 'about' how much they failed.

Even though i'm fully in support of a look at crafting rates right now, the two sets of data are hardly comparable and its no wonder they addressed the crit mechanics.

9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I was paying attention to the conversation, I quoted Chris's exact words. He didn't refer to any of the data you mention, just the ten consecutive.

Moiseyev Trueden and 2112Starman like this.
  10. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Well, according to the conversation, the formula was not as intended for material bonuses.

What triggered Chris to look at the calculation was said screenshots

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's not talen snarky by me at all. I stopped reading at run the numbers. I saw your previous point and I agree that the numbers (going from 20% to 25%) is not as significant as increasing overall damage by 20%. But then againI don't know 20% of what and is that better than an extra 5% to do double damage (is that 200%?).

I only said it because intuition is telling me that I ought to try for the crit but as for the gear and the math I dont know. My gut says maybe try crit but haven't tested both.

12. Curt

Curt Avatar

Instead of gear improving your chance to crit could change it to improve the damage you deal with crits.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I asked a question earlier.. about
    If i have 20% more weapon damage. Doesnt that make my Crits do 20% more when they do crit? Because isnt crit dmg based off your total wep dmg?

14. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

Yes it does, yes it is (if I understand things correctly).
    But if you could choose between +5% damage and say +15% crit damage (just a random example number) that could be an interesting choice.

MrBlight and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris, will the Concentration skill work for all skills that can be interrupted or just the skills from the magic schools.

16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

That's already one of the bonuses you can get with masterworking and also (I think) bronze swords. I'll have to check in the game later which bonuses came from what on my sword, but I have both bonus crit chance and bonus crit damage.

17. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

So those people who beat me in duels and shouldn't have, Duel me for item keep. I'm so ready for ya! :)

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

On the actual gear. Plain old no masterworking.. i can get 5.5? % crit. Or 11-12% dmg.
    So that crit ( at 100 dex which is lil ways along) still on translates to like 1.2% in actuality lol .
    That 11-12% is in effect regardless.
    So really it comes down to 1 shot in every 100 being double. Or 100 shots in 100 being 10 % stronger ( which is 10 doubles ) and thats just armoe. I just switched bows and got an easy 7.5% dmg in exchange for 17% crit (actuality it was like 2%) heh. Im seeing 0 use for supple gear. And it shows with quick in reality testing. Including shooten players. ( base crit is the randomness factor in pvp, the armor n boosts dont make a dif ) i still have 20% chance of getting 2 lucky crits in a row . Which also do more dmg cause my base is higher.
    Which also makes the + crit dmg, masterworks terrriible aswell

19. Curt

Curt Avatar

Quite surprised you don't have a variable you can set for each weapon type and instead a constant.
    Strength has the SDD why not a similar for Dex

Moiseyev Trueden and Snazz like this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Don't forget there are also those new skills which have bonuses after you've been hit by a crit.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.