Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Critical hit reduction changes

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Rada Torment, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Good day,

• Critical Hit Reduction: The critical hit reduction (or increase) provided by skills like Fortify Defense and Firefly and items like the Gambler’s Ring, will now modify the max hit damage for a critical instead of the % chance of getting a critical hit. The Gambler’s Ring, for example, now adds a 0.5 Critical Damage modifier which means instead of doing 1x max normal damage to 2.5x max damage, like normal critical hits, it will instead do 1x to 3x.

The Fortify Defense fix is good, but I really think some skills/items were affected too much from th¡s change.

- The Ring of the Gambler. -50% Critical hit damage reduction isn't too much?. Is like literally gives a permanent fireflies buff to all mobs against you. Any critical hit from mobs (think about archers, with their base high crit chance) is gonna hit you for 50% more dmg compared to r46. If any of you have this ring, go and test yourself with some examples; elite skeletons in Wyrmsands, small dragon, Torc troll, etc. Any phyisical high mob is buffed now if you use the ring.

From the point I have been using this ring for months, now I'm not sure if just+10 dex worth anymore having this big penalty on us vs any physical-dmg mob. For the first time I'm not using this ring anymore with big mobs. Any of you archers keep using this?

- Fireflies looks good but maybe the % is too high (at skill 60 we hit a 50% debuff on targets) seems like making this spell essential to any melee/ranged player, and without this you losing lot of dmg from critical hits.

Making one skill super good for everyone is something I never liked. At some point everyone kill keep using fireflies, making all players less unique imo. Base design is fine but I just think they need some balance on their %.

What's your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Sakarisei and Nomalice like this.
  2. Rada Torment

Debuff duration: 1min
    Cooldown: 20 secs

That means you can keep one target all the time with fireflies. Maybe if we think the % is fine, a balance work on times (duration/cooldown) is needed. Take as example one of the best debuffs ingame, Blind. Blind duration is super short (10secs), why fireflies has a long duration considering right now are the best two debuffs from magic?

All these things makes me think that firefiels received much more love than Blind. Something like increase the cooldown so we can't not spam them is a better idea, be selective and think when we want use them.

About gambler, its good to remember dex is not just all about % more crit chance, dex makes you hit more and makes them MISS more (hit chance).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. Rada Torment

Yep but I was talking about all general content, not just one boss (Torc is too easy for any high level, I don't even need fireflies).

Maybe just my opinion but I see fireflies nearly as good as Blind right now for builds with high crit chance (swords and bows). Blind is superior because has two debuffs, but remember, avoidance is not as good as before..so Blind was more powerful before r47.

Anyway I see the gambler issue much bigger than fireflies. Right now I don't know any player using the ring, when in r46 50% of the people I know has one in their main build.

4. Rada Torment

But we had the old Fortify defense which prevented crits on us :). Now Fortity defense is fixed. I would say in general all pve is bit harder now.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Previously fortify defense made us permanently un-crittable because we got the crit reduction regardless of if we used it after a crit or not. That's what Rada is referring to.

Gambler before was basically the perfect boss ring. Fortify Defense nulled its one weak point and it gave you 5% more avoidance and 10 dex lol. I agree it's a pile of poo now though. Nowhere near the stats on it to make 50% incoming critical damage even a consideration.

Fireflies is actually weaker now than it was before. 10% crit (@100) vs 75% crit damage... the 10% crit was better since crit is also effective chance to hit. So on that front the skill itself isn't that broken, but it does cause some potential issues in the form of spike damage if we're talking about competitive pvp.

Rada Torment likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not long ago, I did an extensive comparison between using a full suit of epic supple leather armor + pine longbow with supple leather bow strings + Fireflies and a full suit of epic hardened leather armor + maple longbow with cotton bow strings. The hardened leather and maple bow combo was much better. The reason is that the critical chance modifiers are all multiplicative, so that +10% bonus that you get from Fireflies ends up being +0.5% ultimately.

Rada Torment likes this.
  7. Rada Torment

Exactly. You explained much better compared to my, sometimes, bit crappy english :)

If thats true, fireflies now is much better than before, right?

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think you'll get better DPS with it now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Rada Torment likes this.
  9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Interesting. The one time I used it and truly felt its worth was when I was super new and was fighting that red water elemental in Kiln's Cisterns (end of the puzzle mob guy). Couldn't hit the broad side of the barn w/o fireflies up. Just btw, fireflies affected MELEE critical hit chance only and I do believe it was a straight added value. Naturally you're seeing vastly better #'s using it with bow since it now works with bow.

Barugon likes this.
  10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no longer chance, it's changed to damage.

Trihugger likes this.
  11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I used past tense =P.

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Could be.

[edit] Due to the tier 2 materials boost, I compared supple leather to hard leather again this past QA and the hard leather still wins.

Trihugger likes this.
  13. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

What kind of a margin is it? Beetles are a super big pain in the ass =\

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I couldn't tell you a number. It was more like I kill a bunch of mobs with one for a long while then switch to the other and kill the same stuff. I was killing noticeably faster with the hard leather suit. It takes 40 beetle carapaces to craft one epic suit BTW (I didn't use it for the straps because I wanted the extra dodge instead of the extra damage).

Almar likes this.
  15. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Fireflies change - LOVING IT!
    Ring of the Gambler change - It's basically trash now unless just farming low level mobs on a high level character in which case you don't need it anyway.

Rada Torment likes this.
  16. Rada Torment

Exactly. Dex only adds crit chance, for +10 only only give us 1% more crit chance, no worth if we get a lot more dmg from crits. Some artifacts needs fixes now.

Dhanas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.