Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Critical Salvage of morning star and 2 handed hammer deemed meh.

Discussion in 'Release 61 Feedback' started by Jefe, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Morning Stars and 2 handed hammers normally give meh to ok metal scraps when salvaged. On critical salvage they give 10 wooden scraps and 0 metal scraps. Please make their critical more desirable.

twofoldsilence and Elwyn like this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

For those who aren't familiar with scrapping things, wood scraps are easier to get than metal scraps, because so many trash mobs use axes, staves, wands, bows, and assorted polearms vs daggers, swords, and 2H swords. Also, while there is now rusty armor, it has such a high chance of dropping a pattern instead of scraps that I prefer to repair and sell to NPC, because at least that's worth something.

Recipes Patterns and wood scraps are the booby prizes when you need more metal scrap.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Lord Trady of Blix and Jaesun like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

You only need to see how many recipies are on vendors now and how long they’ve been sitting there to see that the recipie / pattern drop idea is kinda not working in general. The fact that recipies are shared scross characters on an account doesnt help

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Jefe - Just thought I'd inform you that when you get a critical (actually, it's called an Exceptional, but we know what you mean)... it doesn't produce more materials or better materials (unless it's a finished product... in which it adds a durability bonus).

When you get an Exceptional on salvaging, refining or making components, etc., all it does is gives you bonus (5x) crafting XP for that attempt. So, if you would normally get 100 XP for salvaging an item, you would have gotten 500 XP instead.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Jaesun and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler

There are times when salvaging that you get more or different materials. With a gm in carpentry salvage, try salvaging 100 morning stars. The majority will give you metal scraps. Some will give you wood scraps. Numerous releases ago (probably in the 30s or 40s) that same trigger for wood scraps would give you both wood scraps and metal scraps. Thus you got bonus materials for a high roll.
    In addition to that. If you salvage enough rusty swords and triangle shields, there is a chance you will get 1 or 2 metal ingots. Typically iron or copper; however, I have also received constantin ingots. The rusty sword thing still occurs today. I gm'd all of the salvages ages ago.

I believe the attempt to snap things to 1 salvage, 1 item was to avoid the possibility of more than 15 things in the crafting station item list at any one time.

Feel free to verify my claims. ;) Please accumulate a sufficient n for statistical needs. The ingots thing does not occur very much with a 100 salvage. At least for me, the morning star giving wood scraps tends to show up once in 30-40 morning stars unless I am "lucky".

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I have GM'd all of the salvaging skills within a day or two after they were introduced.

I have gotten both wood and metal scraps from morning stars occasionally, without getting the exceptional bonus (both before and after I GM'd Carpentry Salvage) so I don't think that happening constitutes a "critical" as you suggested. This is why I said earlier that it's not the "Critical" that is causing this. I think it's just a rare/random chance that you get both types from salvaging these.

I have also gotten various ingots as well as hilts, blades, bow strings and other components with GM salvaging along with using an Obsidian Potion of Reclamation (gives +50 to all repair and salvage skills) and although some of these could have been exceptionals, I don't think all of them were.

My point is, the random bonus items are just lucky chances and are not tied to the Exceptionals/Criticals.

Now, if you are arguing that the when you DO get bonus materials, they should be more or better yields than what we get now, I will agree with you. In fact, I think the bonus items should occur more frequently if you have a GM skill and certainly if you also use the Obsidian Potion.

7. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Jaesun and Daxxe Diggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.