Criticism Thread and loot drops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Awe.... someone remembered. :)

Jaesun, Astirian and Alioth like this.
  2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Didn't too much loot kill UO? They ended up with Loot Cartels essentially that flooded the market and caused massive inflation?

I can't help but feel that players in general these days don't want WoW but... they want WoW.

The problem with WoW was that crafting was essentially meaningless till you hit the level cap and only then, you might be able to craft a couple of pieces for raids or PvP but only 1st tier stuff, after that it was all loot drops again.

If anything it's just too damn hard to sell much stuff right now. Maybe increasing the rate at which player-made gear drops would help enormously? Also make it more worthwhile to sell to an NPC? Let's say I sold a halberd to a player for 1k gold. Neato! But let's say I'm having a bad week and I have a surplus of halberds. If the NPC bought them for 750 gold a pop, I'd probably offload them. Now, if the % chance of players picking up those halberds in loot drops was higher, we'd all win.

Maybe there's some economic theory I'm not aware of here but that approach would seem sensible to me.

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hrmm there was a. Lot of loot in ut but the good stuff was rare you could mass produce loot as a crafter as in 100 gm swords easy but the exceptional stuff was rare and the rare metals rarerer you also could lose all ur gear on death and mobs would look you. You made and found stuff easily and lost stuff easily :)

Weapons like vanq were rare to find but you could find them and that was exciting.

4. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

"lost stuff easily" < = = = = bingo!

I have like 10,000 bandages in my house right now. I have 4 to 5 equipment bags ready to go (Potions, Bandages, Weapon, Armor, Regs). I keep some in the bank and some at the house. When I started a character I kept the Noob clothes because they are blessed.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hate to side track this thread with uo stuff but I loved how crafting and loot was in uo, but I also Like the masterworking and enchanting here.

6. Katu

Katu Avatar

Crafters/port say, that they have to be able to create the best items. What I don't get, is that why even sh***y crafter, with absolutely no skill, nor idea about combat system, can easily outcraft ANYTHING dropping as loot.

Why loot has to be below every crafted item? Instead of just below very very good crafted stuff?

Loot can be good and crafters can be creators of best items at the same universe.

Loot does not have to be the best items. It just has to be way better than rusted spoons.

Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I also wanna bring up that good loot has to have a balance in rarity or else it becomes common trash. Even in a game that focuses on Awsome loot as the carrot point to drive people, dropping "good" stuff all the time vs "Great" stuff very rarly still creates the same situation where you have everythign dropping common and rusty things and occasionaly dropping an artifact.

In short, Shroud's loot system is very similar to Diablo 3. Everything drops stuff, but it all ends up being salvaged or vendor trashed while waiting on a good thing to drop. The only big difference is, most of the rare stuff has become undesireable (I.E., noone seems to ever really want a ankh of sacrifice of a gaia's heart anymore).

One way diablo deals with that is the rare stuff you dotn want can be salvaged for parts to CREATE other rare stuff through CRAFTING, and i think thats what salvaging in shroud should be good for. That and patterns.

And to avoid having common stuff masquerading as an artifact, have artifacts in aprticular yield patterns that also applies the artifacts special properties to the crafted gear. this could also already be a plan thrown around for the new high tier crafting but we dont have any details yet (cuz the devs probly havent quite decided yet).

But in order to make crafting a desirable thing to do WHILE making loot mroe exciting to get, We need these upgrades that come from various sources. Components or components of components that drop that can be assembled and integrated into gear as upgrades, utilizing rare artifact drops as a way to upgrade things in crafting thru high level salvaging, and @Spungwa 's suggestion of having bosses with very rare stuff that can drop more commonly drop fragments or pieces that can be collected and assembled by somone, possibly even utilizing GM repair skills to do so to create the rare item or some version of it.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

They could start with a simple buy order system that starts to feed crafted items into the loot tables at perhaps a decent price. Nothing too fancy at first, like basic pine, maple, copper, iron and bronze weapon and armor, that’s not master worked. And limited to how many times you can do this.

That could then be expanded upon.

9. addrox

addrox Avatar

My Main 3 games War Thunder, ESO, and SOTA ... top 2 provide MEANINGFUL reasons for me to log in, pvp, pve, and craft.

SOTA needs to look at risk vs reward and TIME vs reward.

Still love SOTA ... its in my main 3 ...

Astirian, Dhanas and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Fungus44

Fungus44 Avatar

WOW that looks awesome so glad I read this thread, something to play until my boxed version of SotA arrives as I refuse to play until then :)

addrox likes this.
  11. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Btw about garbage loot rusty ceramic jars and etc. The only reason why this was added to the game, to make our rate igg per hour less - you need to spend the time to drop this from the inventory(in the case of over encumbrance), or you need time to delete this. And this is really annoying, I have probably of a 10+ chest full of this garbage stacked :(

12. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Just to toss out another related fact, you don’t NEED any fancy loot to complete the main story. I did the entire quest line in NPC bought plate and up until the end a common 2-handed sword.

Sure if you want to solo bosses or compete better in PvP the fancy stuff helps, but I loved the fact I didn’t have to grind out gear like in any other game.

Once you start down the item based combat road it never ends.

13. eli

eli Avatar

In a game that lets you play god, don't be surprised by God's lack of needs.

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

My gripe right here is that as Elrond stated these artifacts are best in slot and not crafted short of the warlock. If love to see chance for Crafters to make similar quality items some how to compete. I have been wearing a Dolus hood as a mage forever it seems (2 years) never looked back as nothing comes close for crafted.

I like @Aartemis idea with making artifacts from special salvaged materials thus making crafters the key still to making items. I think they should break all staffs down like that of the artifact staffs allow us to build various versions. Perhaps do like so other games and have it when you salvage things a chance to get something that can augment stats when used in crafting. This would open up alot more combinations and make existing artifacts more valued if its means you can get something more from it for crafting.

They could take this many directions that is for sure.

As to Ep2 I would not mind if they still moved forward if they have specific people assigned to continue to dedicate time on Ep1. I understand that alot of the fixes are coming with Ep2 which is being baked into the system.

15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

They need a predefined plan and stick with it for loots and craftable. I remember they said crafting would always be stronger than artifact but its not the case right now, and the more we go the more the path differ. Which lead to misconception, bugs and bad feeling about it in general. I often see them create stuff out of non sense and it make me wonder if the have any plan at all. Doesnt need to detail the plan on every step but at least give yourself a final goal to achieve and work your path towards it. Maybe it was planned to have stronger artifact for a while then when crafting spec come in crafting will be the best again, but the time elapsed between the 2 is so huge that it make it feel bad.

Thats always been a general problem here, i think they are so proud of what they are making that they have to place it in game even if only half of it has been made. Just STOP doing that lol
    Players will prefer full feature than half of it any time. It will prevent complaints, questioning of the situation, bad rating cause only half has been seen and not everyone can look towards the futur and the possibilities, etc...

yinki2, Xandra7, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  16. Admiralloyd

Admiralloyd Avatar

I'm honestly tired to see how work team port.
    i'm tired of laughing every new release and patch notes.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?categories/release-feedback-bug-reports.553/
    In this forum we have 90% non worked mechanic posted from players in all Release. But every month we have NEW RELEASE!
    all bug's ignored.... no any rewards for players who met QA server for find some new BUG and post him for FIX but we have only Nerf&Nerf&NewBug&Nerf&BUG&NERF
    Just look and laught

What are you all want? Rebalance? New Arts New Craft. We need game without fu....nny bugs. NOT REBALANCE!

Jaesun, Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My issue has always been with the whole Slot Machine mentality.
    This game is about one's tolerance to repeatedly pull a lever and hope they get lucky. And the rate of actually winning that slot machine is laughably bad.
    Clocking well over 1000 kills trying to get a particular drop from a cabalist is beyond ridiculous.
    Adding rare drops that require a group of people to take down a target and it drops nothing at all 16 times in a row is just a waste of everyone's time. And if it drops...? Then its only a waste of everyone else on on the team's time.

Stop wasting people's time.

Other games mentioned here are succesful because the player has the ability to see some sort of gain for the time spent. Group fights? Always drop something. Raids? Usually several things. Some games even allow each player to get their "own" loot bag so it isn't just a waste of someone's time to participate.

I'm not saying you can't have rare stuff. Things like the creepy doll, that are 'neat but unnecessary' are fine to be rare. When you start making rare drops for every best in slot equipment piece all you end up with is frustration 99.9% of the time.

The essence system is a step in the right direction - earn stuff over time with a reasonable expectation of a drop.
    Make this about time/effort invested NOT BLIND LUCK.
    If something has a 0.1% drop chance then 0.1% of your players will have a good time. That's just a bad return.

Xandra7, Gia2, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  18. Admiralloyd

Admiralloyd Avatar

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  19. addrox

addrox Avatar

Well said ... WE need the people who are the visionaries just to talk ,communicate ... nothing has to be written down in stone ... we posted out ideas ... what do you guys @DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British think?

Dhanas likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Artifacts are going to be improved to make them more desireable and geared twards very specific roles is the latest news about loot.

A round of emails that drew the attention of new/returning players as well as twitch streams that have drawn in new plays has happened, and more email campaigns are occurring now. These emails do not target the current playerbase but target those who have not played in a long time (or at all).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.