Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crooked Shank

Discussion in 'Release 46 QA Feedback Forum' started by Elwyn, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

(I have just one thing to say right now, but I'll make this as a sort of "general" thread for Crooked Shank.)

I finally got into the back cave, and I was walking around with Immolation still on after fighting the swarm of slimes. I walked by a child and... it caught fire! (and "screamed" a bit while dying, too)

While there might be a quest-related reason why they were attackable, if there wasn't, flammability is not an expected behavior of non-aggro non-wildlife NPCs and probably should be fixed.

EDIT: Even better: my phoenix summon aggros to the children!

Chatele likes this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I found this particularly amusing:

Isn't it a lovely day!

Chatele likes this.
  3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Hehehehehe LOLOLOLOl :p:D:rolleyes:

4. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

It is intentional that those children are attackable. As the valiant are allowed to stand against the scoundrels, so too will bullies be allowed to attack the weak.

EDIT: Also, there will be repercussions for killing "neutral" people in this scene. So be careful where you fling your fireballs. Or phoenixes. Be careful where you fling anything, is my point.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

And that is why I worded things the way I did. So far it has not been a common thing, which doesn't mean it will remain an uncommon thing.

Splash damage just hasn't been a thing yet, it's gonna take everybody some time to get used to it. But it's going to be a big surprise for those people who walk around with whistle pets out all the time, if they aggro on the kiddies. (It was bad enough when it was just the kitties.)

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think I should elaborate about pets. I don't have so much of a problem with "oops immolation", but a pet should not aggro to an NPC which has no intent to attack. I can walk around all day around rabbits and sheep and the pet won't attack, which makes sense, because they aren't a danger.

When around skeletons or something that would attack me on sight, it makes sense for the pet to attack, but only when the actual aggro happens, when it sees me or the pet. This isn't just about peacefulness, it might also be a matter of stealth.

And when something isn't going to attack, it just doesn't seem like proper behavior for a pet to attack. It was annoying when pets would attack the cats in Highvale, and the explanation I heard was factions. So maybe it was true that the cats were assigned to a faction incorrectly, but I think the decision for the pet to attack it was made for a fundamentally wrong reason.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Sannio

I agree, which is a big part of why we tried to make sure that the neutral characters in this scene are somehow separated from the always-a-threat enemies. But we'll also be keeping an eye on things, just in case it ends up being too much of a problem.

8. Sannio

Great points in that while post. Would you mind posting your suggestions for how pets shouldn't aggro on neutral NPCs that are not currently engaged in combat? That way our combat programmers will get a Jira and, if possible, make adjustments to how our combatant pets work.

(I don't know what the fix was with the cats in Highvale, but it's possible that fix can't apply here and some extra programming will likely be required--if it can even be changed with our current system.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.