1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Crypt of the Avatar Sarcophagus Update!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hello all!

I had a bit of fun recently designing the very-specifically-described sarcophagus-like tomb near the entrance to the Crypt of the Avatar scene... From the dashing, bearded, single-braided figure in ornamental armor carved on the lid, to the ancient engraved symbol of the Principles, to the bed of flowers carved in dark granite and inlaid with gold, jewels, and jade,...this fancy tomb definitely had to be a step up from the original generic tomb design I created so, so long ago... I wonder who that mysterious figure is supposed to resemble? ^_^

I actually started with the old tomb model I made, got rid of the kinda clunky geometry of the effigy in that earlier design (based on an actual Irish tomb of the Medieval period), and then worked on creating the best image I could to represent the description in "The Sword of Midras". After applying the new texture map to the essentially flat lid, I then carefully cut out and sculpted the topology to help make it into a believable bas-relief so it could be achieved in as few polygons as possible....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, what mostly makes it look fairly good is the painted texture itself, as opposed to the polys. This helped reduce the overhead compared to what would have happened had I used an existing character mesh and tried to alter the series of textures used to make them look accurate... Using the base texture you see below I was able to use existing materials, create only one new material, and get away with a really low poly-count for everything!
    [​IMG]

You can see this chamber from above-ground while exploring one of the temple-like structures in the Midras Ruins (created by our own SorcerousSteve) found just beyond an enormous old tree as described in the book! Through a debris-clogged hole from which feeble light shines down, a lone sarcophagus can be glimpsed. A hatch nearby leads down into those same depths, and after a short walk through ruined halls whose ancient splendor surely inspired later Obsidian architects, the Crypt chamber can be seen from the room's upper gallery, though the surrounding edifice itself lay in terrible ruin...
    [​IMG]

This chamber and adjoining dungeon were put together by Richard Matey who worked with us awhile back, and of course since our goal is to re-purpose as many of our specially-made resources as we can, the Crypt chamber itself was assembled using bits and pieces of architecture I made for both Hilt as well as Desolis. As a world-builder with limited access to actually changing the geometry of these pieces, he did his best to mask off specific Obsidian symbology, alter the materials here and there, and add a variety of details that help differentiate it from those other locations, and to bring it closer to the general description of this as seen in the book. His addition of the wonderfully-lit hole broken in the ceiling really sells the idea of it, in my opinion, and of course the passage leading off from this early chamber reveals completely different layouts of rooms, halls, and adventure spaces (one can assume that the other two exits described in the book have been sealed off by the fallen rubble)...

Having made the new sarcophagus, I was able to create appliques of that same symbol, an ancient Midras representation of the Principals and associated Virtues, to be used throughout this primary chamber to further capture the spirit of the room described in the "Sword of Midras". These symbols can first be seen adorning the entry hall leading to the upper balcony of the Crypt, as well as the gallery beyond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Making one's way down to approach the tomb itself, my hope is that it will now evoke more closely the feeling you may have had when this same area was revealed to our protagonists in the novel. I truly tried to replicate its descriptions of the tomb and its lid bearing the effigy as closely as I could (even down to the little rat-tail braid of hair draped over the shoulder above the symbol on the chest... ^_^). Of course, in the novel the tomb was empty, and the incredible sword was actually to be found held in the hands of the tomb-lid effigy. The legendary sword has long since been taken hundreds of years ago, and the primary difference you may notice is that the tomb is no longer empty. In the intervening centuries, someone has taken it upon themselves to lay some other forgotten soul to rest there, and left an offering of a flower and a book describing the Principles themselves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's that Principles symbol again! Since the book describes it appearing again and again all over the walls of the chamber, I figured that decorating freely with it was a reasonable way to tip my hat to the theme. I even placed it on the armored chest of the huge stone sentinel standing guard nearby! ^_^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully you enjoyed this little diversion. At some point we might do a polish pass on the rest of this dungeon, but for now, at least this chamber matches the source inspiration to a better extent... My next task is to make a loving pass on the town of Etceter to see what I can do about adding more details and points of interest to help link it to the "Sword of Midras" as well!

Wish me luck!

Fondest regards,

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    shathiell, Saosis, Hazard and 25 others like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I am blown away by the art the team has been doing recently.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Hello Scottie,
    This is exciting and exceptional work!!!
    This is pretty close to the scene that I visioned as well... awesome to see come together!!!

Keep up the great work!!!!

*Cheers*

-MH

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Oh no! Lord British as the Avatar is dead?! Wait.....the sarcophagus cover with his face has been removed! Did he rise from the dead? Is he undead?! That zombie dude in the screenshot? OMG!

Great work, Scottie! Super cool!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Looks great, Scottie! Looking forward to seeing this in-game.

Now I want to get some of those Virtue symbol architecture pieces in my home!

6. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Nice work! I can't wait to see it in person

7. Scottie

Thank you, my friend!!!!!

Scottie ^_^

Acred and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Scottie

Heh! Yeah,..in the book that lid is already removed, and the tomb is totally empty... The hero would have totally missed finding the sword if he hadn't almost tripped over the lid on the stairs! Hah! ^_^

9. Scottie

I'll ask Starr if he'd like to offer them in some form!

10. Scottie

Very soon! ^_^

11. Scottie

Thanks! I'll pass those sentiment on, too!

Scottie ^_^

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the detail work on the tomb.

Now to figure out why Lord British is just casually walking around the world going to dance parties. This seems odd for someone that must have been dead and buried in a tomb at one point. "Don't mind me, I'm just the focal point of the world. Could someone pass me another ale? I feel like dancing the night away!" I'm not sure how to reconcile this. :)

Acred, Scottie and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

AWESOME!!!!! Why do I always get giddy like a schoolboy when I see @Scottie 's work? Oh that's right, 'cause he's awesome! :D

14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

y'know, there's a dearth of green deco to go with those... no rugs, no furniture, just the baron's bed.

Acred and Scottie like this.
  15. Scottie

Ha ha! Just imagine that our current Lord British is actually a reincarnation of the ancient Avatar whose tomb this is... How else would it be that the Virtues themselves have begun to manifest once again in the game! ^_^

16. Scottie

Heh! Perhaps some green-cushioned furniture at some point is required! ^_^

17. Scottie

Just because you made this wonderful comment I decided to stay late and make a bunch of fixes to the visuals for this whole dungeon, including more aged tapestry and hangings materials, removing all the rest of the Obsidian symbology and out-of-place objects from the rest of the dungeon, and fixing numerous modular building errors I found (and generally fixing up the place).... I wanted to make sure all this got in before lockdown!!!

Hopefully you fine folks will enjoy!

Scottie ^_^

Saosis, Brent S, Acred and 9 others like this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Seriously Scottie you are the best! In Scottie we trust! :D

19. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

What if he isn't? Perhaps he died...Perhaps its the biggest cover-up in Britannia History. Perhaps its his sword they found so many hundreds of years ago... PERHAPS the Obsidians brought him back to life. *PERHAPS* HE is the "Shroud" of the Avatar... o_O

Perhaps we are here to save him...

Let the theories begin!

20. Acred

Acred Avatar

This IS awesome. The awesomeness is not only in the work you've let us see on this scene, Scottie, and the work that the whole Portalarium team is doing developing the game. It is also apparent in the symbiosis between all facets of our SotA community that is now weaving the many strands into a finished Shroud.

Scottie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.