Cryptocurrency & SOTA

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by DavidDC, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

There is alot of stuff going on in the crypto world currently and i started learning/doing crypto a month ago. I'm a programmer and know much about technology since a long time, and it didnt take me long to understand the whole concept of cryptocurrency. I saw how easy it was to create a blockchain, coins, wallets, whatever needed to make it to work. I also saw that you were partner with NDC. But you could make so much more implementing this by yourself, and its not has hard and it look like.

Since the game mostly run on GPU (I tried mining with CPU at max threads/core and saw no difference, could take down boss easily without lag.) it would be possible to make people mine (if they enable that option in game) and make some COTO out of it, while the server would make real money. Both participant would be winner in this.

How i see this to work is each client get a mining script with an option to enable or disable it in game option (the miner would start once a scene is loaded, and would stop before loading in another scene). Everything would go to SOTA wallet and would be counted as credit for the client. Once the client get enough credit, they receive COTO in their bank box by claiming reward. Which can be used for their housing and stuff.

A computer that run sota and mine can easily make 3$ a week. Which is 3 coto (Thats mostly at max hardware) While a not so good computer could make 1 coto, enough to pay house renting.

This concept would be easy to implement. Without the need of partners (NDC).

I hope devs consider this option.

2. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

i don't know how i feel about this

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I'm getting a bad feeling about this cryptocurrency stuff.

Spartus, Spinok, Nelzie and 3 others like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i can say you how i fell about this - BAD and somewhat angry :mad:
    sorry

to me generating money out of nothing and the whole cryptocurrency thing is antisocial.

moxiepilot and Olthadir like this.
  5. DavidDC

No one said you are obliged to be in. It would be an option for those that want extra coto in game and sota would pay themself. The longer you play, the more money they make and the less renting u pay. I know new stuff scare people most of the time just like changing task in a job can be frustrating when you are used to do the same thing over and over but the world is changing and growing, if you dont jump in then you stay behind.

Adam Crow and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Derium

Derium Avatar

The issue would be what to mine. BTC/LTC are not options without ASIC. We could cloud mine though into one of the pools that pays out BTC, instead of the coin being mined.

7. Derium

Derium Avatar

P.S. SotA I need to thank for my early adoption into the crypto world. I bought BTC when it was $900 each in order to pay for some add-on items. Thankfully I decided to research it more back then. So based on that alone, I wouldn't mind giving back, haha

8. DavidDC

That would be up to the server to determine what to mine. Its pretty easy to find out which coin is worth mining the most (Using CPU, really important)

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

No I dont stay behind, i stay true and dont partake on such antisocial stuff.

Who sows the seed and bakes the bread you buy from BC?

Lets all generate money without beeing productive?

This is the same **** like selling assurances or hedge fonds stuff.
    I am no expert, but i know enough about legalized crime.

Have Fun do whatever you want to me my consciens and my heart is more worth than having or deal with CC.

Root of all Evil.

Mac2 likes this.
  10. DavidDC

Having some extra code in a millions of code make you anti social? In what kind of world are you living? If you dont know the subject please stay away from this thread. The only anti social thing i see right now is you.

11. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Bitcoin= energy consumed + hardware ...
    You mean like the bankers do ? Trillions created electronically that dont have any real back up ?

12. DavidDC

Energy consumption is the same if you run the game all day... You wont see a diff on ur bill at the end of the month, specially if computer stay on all night. Plus its easy to say if you want to do max mining or not, could only use 1/4 of the cpu and no one would even feel it. Not to mention that you actually have to play the game for it to work. Closing it will stop the miner.

Valor likes this.
  13. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

True, in the world of mmorpgs there are bots who 24/7 games and pay a premium on such.

14. Katu

Katu Avatar

So, you are saying, that my computer can do more work, without using any extra power? Physics might have something to say about that.
    There is no way, I would let anyone use my hardware to mine. Electricity cost is higher that return value from mining. ROI is something like 9 months here, unless you use miners as source of heat for you house ( no joke ).

Bob Kelso2 and Sorthious like this.
  15. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Question is, can we maintain coto's and in game currency in the face of security risks without ensuring the currency is backed by security algorithms making sure our currency can't be hacked and messed with?

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

And some more, yup.

Doesnt make it right or good, or?

In reality a bad one full of war, corruption, greed, abuse of power, narcism hippocrisy...
    In relativity a romantic utopia :)

17. Vox Aquila

Vox Aquila Avatar

CC appears to be less evil than the traditional banking system we are all forced to use.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I would say it's both bad, unfair, abused etc...

19. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Can you explain how or why ?

20. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I do not know enough about cryptocurrency mining to say if it is good or bad but I would guess there would be at first some legal difficulties.
    Even if Portalarium would be some kind of middlemen they would need to pay officially taxes e.g. for the produced revenue.
    Also depending on the law of the avatars country there could be needed some kind of employment agreement to get legally a “payment” for your (PC's) work.
    I’m not sure but I would guess the profit wouldn’t justify the effort that is needed to make this work.

Aside of that and out of my perspective I think too that the revenue isn’t high enough for Portalarium to work as a middlemen. After administration expenses (tax, work of devs) and the payment of the environment (hardware, energy,…) I would guess that the remaining profit is to small be be splitted between two partners.
    (And yes hardware and energy must be taken into account. Hardware has wear and tear depending on the usage and as already mentioned a e.g. higher CPU workload will consume more electricity. Normally most wouldn’t calculate this but you mentioned in your suggestion $3 a week and it is quite easy thinkable that $1 or $2 of these $3 has to be spend for the higher electricity bill or in the long run for earlier needed new hardware.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.