Cryptocurrency & SOTA

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by DavidDC, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

But the standard computers avatars might use to play SotA are not that energy efficient especially if you have to run the game client to mine. ;)
    A running PC would cost me 5 to 10 cent per hour (price per kw/h between 25 and 30 cent and a power usage between 200 and 400 watt)…even with the lowest assumption I would easily burn one buck a day just to run the pc.
    Maybe this “loss” can easily be compensated but I simply don’t know it.
    Edit: And just to mention it with your example of $3 a week as payout from Portalarium I would lose $4 a week ($7 for the weeks electricity - $3 for the minining = $4)...but of course maybe your number is just a guess.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Like i said in the first post, i did play and mine at same time, the game is more GPU intensive than CPU. So mining with CPU is the only way to do it with this game. The miner can also be setup to use half your processor capacities, which would be even lightier. I dont even feel it when i play while mining with CPU at full speed (using 8 core), at 4 core, its not noticeable at all. And energy cost is really something no one should care about. Its not noticeable AT ALL using your computer. Only with riggs, using a rigg with 6 video card, thats like 1500 watts, 3 computer ran at once, and that run ALL day long. You arent going to play 24 hours a day do ya? So the mining would only happen when you are actually playing, IF YOU HAVE IT ENABLED, really important to specificy 50x so people actually read it once.

3. DavidDC

Wow, you must live in iceland and got your own line. My computer cost about 5$ a month to run at max speed.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-is-t...unning-a-desktop-computer-for-a-year-non-stop

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok first off - you are saying our working computers could be used to generate mining effort

2nd who would be the recipient of the coins?

3rd how do you think you are going to redistribute these assets?

If you think for ONE second that because I play SotA, and they are going to use any of that time to make money from it then I am entitled to a return. Sorry but, NOT going to work.

Sorry but this is a game, the business side is for Port to make money and profit and regenerate more game from the revenue, they have zero right, nor does anyone else to take my game play to make side $

This is a very BAD idea, and sorry will not work.

noble effort to try and make more $

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You aren't likely to make much money doing CPU mining, unless the prices of a particular coin skyrockets, and you happen to be mining that particualr coin. GPU's are way more efficient at mining cryptocurrency. If you aren't mining 24/7, you aren't really making much money at all, but to each their own. I, personally, don't want my system mining while I'm playing.

6. DavidDC

Im making 20$ a month with cpu mining, again, go read more about the subjet before saying anything. ASIC is the most profitable way of mining at the moment. The idea behind the mining is to make enough money for the user to pay the rent of housing. Which seem to be a problem for most people. 1$ Is nothing to make mining, even at lowest cpu usage, 1 single core, would take about 2 week to make that coto, which is worth 3500 gold for renting. Everything is paid and you never noticed anything on your electricity bill or your computer.

Apple slowed down iphone for years and not many noticed, this is 1/10 of what apple did. Just bear that in mind.

SOTA Would be the recipient of the coins and would renumerate you with COTOs. Which is also a virtual currency by the way. Everything would be automatic.
    And as i said multiple time and im gonna repeat one last time before i go crazy, you would have the option to enable in game mining while playing if you want to. Not ran by default or anything.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Here is a calculator to figure out your profitability. It includes electricity costs and projected profits(will fluctuate based on currency pricing):

NiceHash Calc

8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have and I can make $106/month if I dedicate my rx480 to mining....It's not worth it to me

9. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Sure, billionaires were buying into Madoff's Ponzi and lost what 40 billion? How much was lost on the ponzi scams in 2008 on the housing market... 1 trillion? How many billions were lost in 2000 with the dot.com bubble, how many billions were lost in the junk bond scams in the 80's. How many billions were lost in the penny stock scams of the 80's and 90's (as seen in Wolf of Wall Street).

Welcome to the next cyclical ponzi scam in the world and this ones gonna be the biggest.

Heres the fact. Your bit coin is worth exactly $0. Demand has made it so that crazy people buy it at $15000. When people stop demanding it (any of a dozen things will click that off like say a 7K stock market adjustment making people rush to sell)... its is worth $0 again.

Fact 2: If you ride a ponzi scheme right, ya... you can make a TON of money if you ride it and get out. Unfortunately when it pops... it pops... and 99.9% of people lose their money (ask people who bought into Madoff).

Budner likes this.
  10. DavidDC

Im sorry but you cannot calculate it this way. First you dont know what crypto that nicehash is actually mining for profitability (that would be decided by the dev team). Mining bitcoin is useless for example, while mining monero or zec right now is the big cash. And even using that calculator, it says i would make 31$ a month of profit. I seriously see no problem doing mining, you guys probably heard horror stories from many people saying DO NOT MINE! Meanwhile, they are mining themself to make some cash. The usual case of dont do that, i want it all for myself. Dont get fooled.

11. DavidDC

People are actually putting real money in bitcoin, bitcoin isnt worth 0 dollar. Bitcoin started as 0 dollar. The idea got bought in, just like any company is created with no money and investor place money in. Ponzi scheme has nothing to do in this. Ripple is a consortium of banks in japan and used by american express and some bank here in canada. You think that company is a ponzi scheme?

12. DavidDC

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well actually it's not iceland and instead germany...but as far I can see the prices for electricity in the us are quite cheap. As far as I can see the average kwh will cost in germany $0.33 (0.287 Euro) while it is in the usa between $0.1 and $0.2.
    The calculation is quite simple: price per kwh * electric usage in kw = price per hour
    I will use in this example a usage of 200 watt.
    $0.3 per kwh * 0.200 kw = $0.06 per hour in germany * 24 hours = $1.44 per day in germany * 30 days = $43,2 per month in germany
    $0.1 per kwh * 0.200 kw = $0.02 per hour in usa * 24 hours = $0.48 per day in usa * 30 days = $14.4 per month in usa

But anyway...I still do not think many avatars would love such a feature. As you may have noticed even if everything would be absolutly legal many will still think it is suspicious and might not want to get in touch with suspicous software and might stay away no matter if the opinion is right or wrong.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Stundorn and Sorthious like this.
  14. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You can get an estimate that way. No you don't know what coin NiceHash will mine, as it's algorithms find the most profitable coin at the time and mines that. If another coin becomes more profitable, then it mines that. The calculator is to give you an general idea of profitablility. Noone can give you a concrete calculation due to fluctuations in the value of coins, among other factors.

15. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

would not work
    I have a good pc and it could generate coins during a playsession, but I wouldnt let port use my pc for a few cotos and avatars which could need a few cotos dont have the machine to do so. They have already probs with smoth gaming, low fps.

Stundorn, Sorthious and LiquidBlaze like this.
  16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Bitcoin, unfotunately, is just a generic term people use for any cryptocurrency. The issue is, for me at least, I don't want Port using my computer to make money off of me, while lowering the life-expectancy of my computer. Paying me in COTO's doesn't replace my worn out computer. If I want to mine, I will go out and mine, I don't want it tied in with the game im playing. That's just my personal feelings about it.

17. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Yeah I run my own miner, I'd just like to see crypto usable in the store.

18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have no problem with the Store accepting alternate currency. I only have a problem with mining being tied in to the gaming experience, especially if it's compulsory.

19. DavidDC

Again, that is if you run the game with miner enable 24 hours a day for a full month. That would be kinda stupid, but in the same time, how much would you make? If its 20 coto.. I think it paid for it.

20. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Simple basic economics 101 talk here. The supply and demand curve. Bitcoin is worth $0, there is *nothing* backing it other then *pure* demand which is moving the demand curve due to limited supply. Its "value" is based on nothing more then "demand". When demand collapses (may be a while due to all the hype) then its value returns to $0. It it litterally valued by *only* its current demand. Bitcoin is already played out on multiple fronts and its crash is inevitable. Sure, you may actually be able to continue ridding the ponzi for now... but be smart and get out. If you have made a 20000x increase in value on an item in one year in a system that at best (stock market, backed by reality) increased 20%... then you should be thinking to yourself "if its to good to be true, then it probably is".

If you have increased your cryptos (bitcoin, ripple, lightcoin, etherium) for a 3x profit or more.... sell and live with the fact you gamed the system and won.

Now you bounces over to ripple. there is no doubt that after the inevitable crash, their may be a crytocoin king (block chain). It wont be Ripple, it will probably be something that arises in a few years with vastly superior code.

You bring up banks... "you think banks are a ponzi scam"... ask the people who lived in 2008 and lost half their 401Ks if you can trust "banks". They have has significant deregulation in the past few years much like 2008 and they are currently building a new bubble in their money making endeavors and its very likely they will buy into cryto currencies as heavy gambling attempts to make money and once again take the honest peoples money down with them. We are in a new housing bubble, our stock markets are in big bubbles and Crytpo currencies are the natural insane outcome. In the USA, we will ride out this possibility of corporations bringing back their money offshore and being taxed at the new rate of 20%... but after that... POP (if they even do it). This insanity has exponentially risen in 2017 because of the weakness of the political climate in our country right now.. basically nothing is being watched (hell, they dont even have people in most of the positions to) and its the friggen wild west again.

This shat is all cyclical man, read the history. I work with 10 people buying that stuff right now and every single one of them have no concept of economics and the stuff that comes out of their mouths in this world of fake news... is insane.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.