Currency Type?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

As a P.S. though, i do think it would be interesting if say your silver coin from this area on the map are minted differently then say from this area.. A goild coin has the same value regardless, but maybe this one has Lord British on it, this one has Darkstarr, This one has sir Frank Kc, and this one Stile Teckel *chuckles*.. but save it for something to work on afte rrelease as one of those random content additions. not important right off the bat.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Im fine with simple gold too. "Copper" will be worthless in matter of days, atleast player to player interaction. Besides I would love to go with UO type thing that it actually has weight, seriously. Bank checks were used for larger money transactions in UO, I liked it. Besides it promotes use of banks as an actual bank.

TigerKhan and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  3. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

As loong player of UO. I loved this fact and allways found it somewhat odd that it would not do so(in othergames). As for storage, Bank did not count gold as item / weight so you could store as much as you wanted. (fine it was piles in 60.000 and took 1 item space out of 125, but you could just write check and have done with it). I feel it really is part of Ultima as it makes carrying it on person a decicion, plan. Now if we would have several types of coin and currencies THEN it could be classified as hassle. But for weight & space with 1 currency/coin type, I wellcome it.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  4. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

This is not a bad idea. Pieces of Eight came in gold and silver and you cut off bits for change and they were hand forged.

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't think I would want to work with "regional" currencies again ( like what was in Ultima VII prt 2; Serpent Isle), that was simply a pain and costly to convert currency back and forth.

WoWs Gold/Silver/Copper system was pretty easy to work with even though I thought it was over doing it a bit. Wealth was actually controlled.
    UOs Gold/Check system was wierd to say the least, more of a storage issue I think sinse Gold was so plentyful and not rare at all. Item count was very critical.

I do feel that a system of coins/bars of Gold/Silver/Copper would be more realistic and that all should take space/wieght until placed in the Bank. And I feel there should be traveling Bankers/Merchants willing to take care of a players wealth, so that long journeys back to civilization is kept to a minamum.

Yes, I do feel that traveling Bankers/Merchants should be attackable and be hauling wagon loads of cargo from Cities/Towns/Villages, although their cargo wouldn't be known until taken. A Robber could be getting a wagon of vegatables for all they know, and there should be a Sherif Hot on their trail with a pose to linch them to a nearby tree for all to see. The vulchurs could spend weeks picking their bones clean.

Mmm sorry got carried away, back to currency.

I want to rely more on a "Barter" system than a "currency" system. Gold/Silver/Copper should be rare to most players but the miners of the world, and then they should need to "process" it into stones/metals, and then forged into bars to be taken to a Minter to stamp it into coins if you wish or simply traded for merchadice. I want to hear of rumors of Copper being found in them hills.

I want to see a way to find/grow cotten, turn it into threads, turn it into cloth. Goto a Tinker with some ore to get a needle made, sew the cloth into clothing, then trade it for some Ale. I want to be able to Brew the Ale, after getting the bottles I need. A Tinker could mine/get sand from a miner to blow into glass bottles.

Every item in the game should have "value" to either a Player or NPC, there should be nothing that has "no uses", why bother spawning Junk. An empty bottle of Ale should have value, a dozen should have more value, even trash should be useful for starting a fire or mulching into a garden.

6. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I think the use of gold/silver in the game would be good.... have it like in real life, gold could be more of value for certain items, where you would spend.... let's say 20 gold pieces as opposed to 100 silver pieces to buy an item. just a thought.....

7. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I thought it was fun that in addition to gold coins, you could find gold nuggets or bars in the Ultima games. It would also be nice with gems and bank notes, and after all this I don't see a need for anything else. One currency type, but multiple methods of transferring it's value, keeps it a bit simple in a more interesting way.

As for these having weight or not, I guess this depends on if they intend to use weight for items at all. There is a strength attribute, so perhaps it can adjust how much you can carry too? At least, if they do implement a weight system for items and such, then I would also want it to count for the currency. If there are bank notes, you would be able to carry a ton of money either way.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Things like gems might be used as sort of currency, but have a primary use of being a crafting material. Same with gold nuggets, heck, even gold coins should be smelted down to make jewelery.
    I think every item should have two values with regards to carrying: size and weight. Your strength affects how much you can carry, and your bags determine how much volume. Unfortunately, size makes for a difficult limitation when it comes to things that we'll want to carry home after a conquest, like, oh, say..... a throne of bone.

Sir Albert likes this.
  9. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Naturally the currency MUST be gold coins....... Stick to Ultima 7 Lore! :)

I would advise staying away from anything "WoW like"

No gold, silver and copper currencies however it would be great to have gems, gold nuggets, gold bars and jewelry.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If I remember correctly, WoW didn't have multiple currencies, they just had three denominations of one currency. If you only had a gold coin and bought something that was priced in coppers, then you got change.

If it was different currencies, then you'd have to go find someone to change that gold coin into some other form and then use that to go buy your item.

11. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

LB mentioned in the Heraldry video the other day what the coinage would be. I forget off the top of my head.

I really like the monetary system in The Name of the Wind. I sure don't know what a talent or a jot are, but I like to think I do.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Gold, silver, copper and it sounded like maybe bronze.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  13. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I saw this thread and came here to mention the same thing you did, LoneStranger. I don't LOVE the idea of multiple coins but I don't hate it either. I got used to it the short time I played LOTRO.

I didn't like LOTRO with money being a number on my screen and never having to go to a bank to check my balance. I don't know if the devs have talked about this other than Richard mentioning the different metals last week. I do hope they take into consideration what happens when people start getting rich. I purchased a house 2 years ago in UO for 43 million. So I had to get 43 checks (they are maxed at 1 million) and make sure they were all in the trade window - with a stranger. It would have been nice to write ONE check for 43 million to hand to the guy.

Rolleston_Bandit likes this.
  14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I would prefer to have denominations because gold weighs alot...and in UO it did count as your weight...

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Jadawin

Jadawin Avatar

In my opionion having coins take up space and having weight is perfectly normal. Problems with this only arise when the economy is out of bounds and some items cost more than you can actually carry. Usually, even good quality items like weapons and armour should't cost more than a handful of gold coins.

And if you are able buy something very very rare and very very expensive, then you should be able to hire guards, a cart, a chest for your gold and whatever you need to be safe, too. And of course there could be other ways to pay. A ruby, a sapphire, a diamond maybe? Almost weightless, small and easy to hide somewhere. You could easily carry around several oxcarts of gold that way. NPC vendors should accept coins and valuable stones and players will then automatically accept them, too.

Carlin the Archer and Mordecai like this.
  16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

In UO you would just go to the bank and make a check they could so the same in this game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know about having other ways to pay. The reason currency came about, even though it was based on the metal value of the coin, was because people wanted some certification that it was what the payer was saying it was. I would think a vendor would want to bring a gem to an appraiser first before trading for it. But a town could easily have a money changer and jeweler for you to to change or appraise valuable items, and so you could still carry your wealth that way.

But I think you should be able to create some type of bank note, which work like checks did in UO. Would trade the item to rights to a certain amount in your bank account.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Also, this is something that came up in another thread about the currency system. If we have multiple metals (copper, silver, gold etc) then gold can be rare compared to how it is other RPG games. You would pay for basic items in copper, more expensive in silver, and only very expensive things in gold. If standard payment is in copper, that would mean if your wealth were converted all to gold it wouldn't end up being a lot in weight.

19. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Platinum, Gold, Silver Copper....classic D&D currency is fine with me

DavenRock likes this.
  20. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Even though multiple currencies would take more work code-wise, it seems worth it to help balance the game economy. It just seems easier if there were different values of currency circulating around (e.g., platinum, gold, electrum, silver, copper, bronze)

For example, there are some things in the game that should be worth FAR less than one gold piece (say, a torch). With just one currency type, the only way to 'balance it out' is to have a torch be worth ,say, 1 gold crown - but then the really valuable things - like gemstones and rare magical components - would eventually reach values upwards of the multi-millions. To me, that's just not realistic for a medieval economy (well, any economy really - I mean, who's minting these billions and billions of gold coins anyways? lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.