Currency Type?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yup, exactly. In the other thread, I actually was able to calculate what the real cost of items in the Middle Ages would be in copper/silver/gold based on the metals of the coins and the price of the items in coins. It was rare that you would need gold coins, it represented wealth.

It would also make it easier to store large amounts of wealth in your bank without having to convert to checks.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I'm not sure if I want real item gold in my pack. I think I want a coin purse that is separate from my bags but still uses weight, I can collect 100's of copper coins but then can pull put 2 silver (the equivalent of 200 copper) or 200 copper if I so choose.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wonder if there would be a problem of exchange rates, and some coins not being as valuable as others.

4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Banks should be available in every town, and offer differing exchange rates. It is not that complicated, if it is done something like that then players won't have to worry about weight, because they won't be accumulating encumbrance from too many weighty coins in their pouch.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Right now I'm happy enough to have different valued coins. I'd still like to have regional currencies but I don't think it's a realistic expectation. Exchange rates and fees could act as a gold sink though. In practice I think everyone would simply convert everything to the "gold standard" since it would be universally accepted. So apart from collectors like me there's very little reason to do regional currencies.

6. smack

smack Avatar

I too would like to see regional currencies, but I highly doubt they'll do that for Ep1. I don't think there's been any convincing reason enough to do so. They could still do this with Ep2+, with each continent having it's own currency type.

As far as Ep1...I'm fine with using the standard copper/silver/gold standard. Heck, throw in platinum too then.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It would be interesting if they included bars of all the metal types for convenience. Obviously we will have a highest valued coin but then where do you go from there for storage? Bars (possibly of different sizes) seem like the obvious way to go. I guess the question is how necessary they might be for players.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

it would be interesting if they did do the regional currencies in the beginning and then switch away to a common coin later. Then the old regional currencies would become rares and truly we could collect coins.

Adiun Tesserande likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Of course, if we're talking about bank storage, there could always be an option to convert your coins to some form of account, and hold them without a physical space penalty, separate from your bank box. Gold bars would probably be useful for storage in your own house, though.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heh I know I won't be the only one in game with a treasure room in my basement. :)

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Are you going to put in hidden traps?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If possible I probably would.. though since houses are safe there wouldn't be a need.

13. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

One word ladies sand gentlemen.................Britcoins

14. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I think the important thing about the currency is the cash shop exchange rate. How much in-game currency would it take to buy a plot or a home, for example? How much grind is required to acquire lots going for 100s of dollars? Are non-landed players really being sold on the idea that selling items, treasure hunting, and quest rewards are going to generate enough capital to be equivalent to what's being sold on the store for a good deal of money? Will there be enough content to generate that sort of capital and would there be enough demand if players can dip into any crafting pool of their choice? Would a player who has not bought a plot and who is relegated to using public crafting tables from launch be able to purchase a plot with in game currency during the period between episode one and episode two? Who would buy their wares if the 'gentry' have access to expert crafting tables?

15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I feel like sometimes things get too complicated instead I think it really only needs to be as basic as possible or the economy will be hard to control. It's not really needed to have so many types of currency usually people trade items in addition to gold anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they all use gold it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If one group uses steel pieces then we've got trouble. Although the technology to create steel might make steel rare and extremely valuable though.

17. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

It would be nice if there were a metalworking attribute that could be used to create coins after mining and refining the metals. If there are copper ingots/silver/gold, etc. Imagine being able to mine for the ore, then refining the metal for coins but at a lower yield depending on skill. 1 copper ingot equals 10 copper coins, 1 silver ingot = 5 silver coins, 1 gold ingot = 1,2 gold coins etc. However if this were to be true in-game, then it would definitely have to be quite difficult to land on a gold ingot. And there is always the verse where ingots actually become the player's preferred trade-able currency because of the ability to make coins out of them among other workable items/swords/armor. I try to think about it as if it were UO because even though there were coinage around, most of the time gold coin came at a higher price than trading ingots or raw materials like wood/reagents.

Sir Isycle likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point. People could trade in gold bars instead of using the gold currency. I wonder with the system they are creating if there will be bartering of goods directly? People might trade more in this game because it might make more sense then getting taxed on your gold.

19. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

20. Curt

Curt Avatar

Think i would prefer if the coins was made of silver and not of gold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.