Customizable Fences around players lots

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Strongsquirrel1, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Allow Customizable Fences?

1. Yes

87.0%
  2. No

4.3%
  3. Undecided

8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

I was looking at gamescreen shots and it appeared to me no one has asked if we could custmize fences around players lots. It could range from differnt stones or woods to even bushes, archways, and gates for properties.

2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Good idea :) I vote yes.

Adiun Tesserande likes this.
  3. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

I agree. I'd like to be able to put a rose hedge around my home, personally.

Devoid and Koldar like this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The question with all these things is should there be time spent on this for Ep 1, vs. other stuff.

In an absolute sense, sure. Relative to what needs to be done and other possibilities... harder to answer.

5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

My concern would be the way many lots are show today there is a shared fence between 2 neighbors; does the fence just show your choice on one side?

I do hope that we are able to at least pick a fence type, maybe Episode 1 will have a very limited selection?

6. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

if I remember right while looking at the media gallery it shows the fence doubled up

7. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

You're right! I was looking at the LotM pics from a few days ago and didn't see that the wooden fence is still on the side of the stone fence. I still hope that in the smaller villages (or on the outside areas of towns/cities) the fencelines won't run side by side like most of the examples.

8. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Yes to poll.
    Here is one pic wich show two different fence types..

[​IMG]

Knoxinn and Koldar like this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

I think it would a great if we had that level of customization. What about the other "decorative" stuff on our plot of land that they've shown, like the trees and boulders?

majoria70 likes this.
  10. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Im pretty sure we will have atleast some kind of outdoor decorations, like trees, bushes, plants etc. Cant really see them leaving us without it :)

Dark Age of Camelot had a pretty nice housing system where you could decorate also the lot itself with alot of different trees and plants, but also with other stuff like stones, statues, tables, carts etc. There was a pretty big choice of stuff to choose from if you had the ingame money.

11. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

My guess is that there is a selection of a few different fence-types that one can choose from, but nothing customisable.

Meanwhile, at Portalarium, the devs are saying "Right, good thing we could just do a few quick and simple fences and get back to work on important, complex game mechanics that we are way behind on!"
    But then Darkstarr sees this thread and runs in to devs shouting "Guys, we're going to have to rethink fences... I want you all to drop what you're doing and create an interface allowing the players to design and customise their fences!"

Roses would be cool! Or camellias or rhododendrons, flowers ftw!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

While I enjoy your sense of humor, I think fence customization is worth looking into for the first episode (also, this isn't Dev+ so I doubt it will get that much consideration). Here is why:
    1. Housing is huge in SotA. They use it as a selling point more than most virtual sim games do.
    2. Customization options would have to be very limited to avoid the general ugliness that exists in play customized worlds. This would equate to a lot less work for the devs.
    Being able to select stone or wood is a solid start. From there, you could have the option to open up gaps between each pillar in the wall (allowing the options of a back yard entrance, or no walls at all). If you and your neighbor built your walls in collaboration, you could have an opening linking your properties. Beyond this level of simplicity would probably turn into an eyesore epidemic, but this minimal level of customization offers basic freedom for creativity without putting too much work on the devs.

Skalex likes this.
  13. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Great Idea!

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Custom fences would be great. Either make them swapable like houses/basements, or even better, be able to have gates or empty spaces on each side. I would also like the option of no fence at all.

Skalex, smack and Mordecai like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

So far I only see two types of fences around the plots: wood or stone. How about trees or bushes or even none! I'm guessing that there will be a lot of uniformity initially but over time more variations will come. The beauty of all this is with user generated content. Build it and they'll put it in the game.

Now, about those house and land customization features...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  16. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I vote Yes

17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

As of this posting, of the total 37 votes, 89% are in favor of customizable fences, 5.5% aren't, and 5.5% are undecided. The sample is still pretty small though so hopefully we get more votes.

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I really like the OP's idea.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I for one just don't wan't any bugs or cock roaches in my house lol. This was my first house in UO, later I got a little bit bigger house by the water.

[​IMG]

smack and LoneStranger like this.
  20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Reminds me of Ultima 5, when I'd K)limb into Serpent's Spine, hold down Space through the night, and then come out to a bunch of things to fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.