1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Daily Experience Award Delivery Changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Attenwood, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I wasn't going to post anything else,but now after this....if you are going to tell me 1-2 bug hunters posting in discord,which the majority of the community never saw outweighed all the community post in the forums, then that is unacceptable to me as a reason. But it is what it is. OK everyone, now we know,post everything in Discord also.

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I understand what you are saying. I do support for an extremely large software company, and have to deal with people from all over the world. Communication is difficult on many different levels.

My issue with this is more along the lines of a small team trying to "go it alone" without a publisher, exposed to the world, etc, however in their attempt to keep costs so low (to make better use of our money, of course) they end up with all these communication missteps. Would the game be in a better state now if they had hired someone a few years ago to handle some of the roles traditionally on the publisher? For example, to focus on things like player wishes and expectations.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

So is it at a set time or still 24hrs+ the last time you got it?

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes.

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The source of this problem was distributing the 10K experience bonus in the first place, independent of the Oracle. First off, whenever you give something for free, there are going to be arguments about fairness and whatever. However that being said, if the distribution had been through the Oracle from the start, giving the player a choice as to grovelling for the handout verses taking a pass, there would be no hand wringing. People would have been glad to get an additional Oracle bribe, and some would continue on making their own way.
    If there was a mistake, it was the original distribution plan for the 10K.

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Sure, if it was given to us that way maybe the argument would be different. We know Portalarium often takes the path of least resistance just because it doesn't have the (hu)manpower to put more time into things, sometimes (I feel) to the long-term detriment. I would have preferred that the 10k (or proportional to time) bonus be given under the rest experience model, where you earn exp doubling while offline and still have to convert it over to real exp through playtime. That method rewards those who can't play every day more than those that can, which is who really needs the help anyway. But something like this takes more time to implement.

Hornpipe, Mykll, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Attenwood and later what could be adjusted is the daily log in reward could be random of what log in reward people get. I would love to see our log in bonus enhanced and interesting as we come to release. For now thank you for reverting back. This is much better to see and also how about a ta-da sound as you receive your daily log in reward instead of just words some miss?

Also what about dream sequence from logging off in a bed that gives a random clue and chance of something being under your pillow making beds and camping fun and valuable?

And thank you always for all you do.

8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

This would be a great idea.

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You got that right, but I do feel Port is trying as best they can given the timeline and financial constraints their under. Shoot, Star Citizen has over $150 million and I think their ability to communicate is just as poor, lol :D

10. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

To address some concerns brought up:
    We did NOT make the original change intended for this release based on the input of a handful of Bug Brigade members discussing in private channels on Discord. Our team regularly gets input and feedback sent in to us directly, as well as what we review on our forums. The suggestion to move XP delivery to the Oracle was hatched internally as a way to simplify the system and address player concerns. When we discovered the change was problematic, we backed it out.

The system currently uses the old delivery rules, where a 24 hour period is required from when the last award was recorded delivered by our server. We are aware of the concerns and feedback about this delivery option, and will look into alternative solutions.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A simple solution is to do what lots and lots of mobile games does.

For a once a day reward lower the waiting cycle from 24h to 20h.

Effective, simple, minimal bug vector, clean, cheap.

That way an individual player's gaming time could differ by 4h and still be valid. While due to human players having to sleep sometime it is quite difficult to exploit - and even if exploited by a bot it doesn't provide a significant advantage (+16% usage). Where we can clearly see the cost/benefit scenario as still overwhelmingly positive.

Same solution/principle can be applied to longer cycles as well. Like the Artisan box which should reward every 7 days, just cut the 24x7=168h cycle to 164h.

It is also more fair to an international audience where the server time reset could be less useful due when their evening coincides with midnight in the US.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  12. Crandall

Crandall Avatar

No answer??

They are not being forced to use it.

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

See Attenwood's answer two posts above yours. It was specifically stated it was not the bug brigade's chat that was where the idea came from but from private PMs to the devs. So it was directly answered.

Spoon likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Like @Moiseyev Trueden says if you refer to the question whether this was from a bug brigade forum suggestion. Then Attenwood already answered that it was not. You could also see that in my reply to Attenwood above. Ask yourself: If there were some 'insider' forum with greater impact then why didn't Spoon use that instead of responding here? (The answer is that the impact is greater here in the public forum since people can like, discuss and agree/reject a suggestion).

If the question was if the bug brigade speak for everyone, then that was a rhetorical question and as such has an obvious answer in 'of course not'. But answering a rhetorical question is kinda like if you have to ask what the punchline in a joke is all about.

If the question was who could see the bug brigade chat then that seems rhetorical as well. Since the answer would obviously be *drum roll* the bug brigade... and QA. That chat was used for QA to talk to the brigade about how they wanted things done and for brigade to highlight serious bugs that needed attention. The most common thing in that was whether or not something had a Jira already.
    Also it's purpose is mostly gone now.

Please feel free to ask if you have other questions you have been pondering. Although fair warning that some might fall under the '42'clause.
    :p

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

16. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

I'm confused. Player request, or dev internal?

Will the gold reward be moved to just login, too? Too much time and effort for 10,000 experience, but is the right time and effort for 500 gold? Lots of posts about making gold, affording rent, all point to daily Oracle quest like it is easy to make that trip daily. But now it is not worth the effort?

Pinky2 likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Both.
    You can see this in your second quote of Attenwood. "...was hatched internally ... address player concerns."

The players expressed concerns that a 24h wait wasn't as fair when compared to the oracle daily which was reset on server time.

The devs took that concern and made up their own solution to that.

*ill post and see if I can Google fu up some examples to add in an edit*

Edit:
    This is a typical one:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...to-reset-at-fixed-time-like-the-oracle.94545/
    You can see that the request is "like the oracle" meaning seperated from it but working on the same principle.
    To which everyone agrees.

I can't recall or google any player requested that it should be apart of the oracle reward-that solution was completely hatched by the Devs to cut some corners.
    To which everyone disagrees.

Which is a regular occurance, we complain about something, they interpret that and make their own solution to that, we complain about that solution wasn't what we wanted, they then re-iterate on it and off we go again until silence happens. When silence occurs then they move on to other things.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.