Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Damage Avoidance vs. Damage Resistance

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Sunswords, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Hey everyone! Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Damage Avoidance and Damage Resistance?

I know it seems to make sense that Damage Avoidance is the likelihood that you will completely dodge a blow, versus Damage Resistance, which would be the reduction of damage dealt on a successful hit.

The reason why I'm asking is because I was looking the Ice Shield spell - the tooltip says that it absorbs damage and resists fire. Upon casting it, it appears that my character has increased Damage Avoidance. This seems a little counter-intuitive to me, unless they meant that Avoidance = the amount absorbed before being passed through for Damage Resistance calculation.

2. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Alright, I think I'll answer my own question. After some testing, it appears to me that:
    1. First pass of damage is calculated on Hit/Miss, upon hit:
    2. Second pass of damage is calculated on Damage Avoidance: How much damage is avoided altogether
    3. Third pass of damage is calculated on Damage Resistance: it gets sub categorised into their respective resistances
    Anyone feel free to jump in on this!

KuBaTRiZeS and Vyrin like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I've wondered myself about this when comparing armor. One can see the diff between augmented and epic is that it moves 1 point from one to the other. But neither is explained anywhere.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The difference is probably, at least partly due to different scenarios in dealing with damage reduction. The end result from the player perspective may seem the same but crunching numbers behind the scenes may require that a distinction be made.

I have wondered about the different myself looking at the player stats. I noted that equipment stats are not calculated into player stats. Which would've been more helpful to me.

So we have resistance, absorption and avoidance. This is how I see it.

Avoidance is just as suggested earlier is probably the ability to just not get hit or simply not take damage from a hit.
    Absorption is the amount of damage absorbed by armor and possibly other factors.
    Resistance lowers damage inflicted.

Sunswords likes this.
  5. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

I hope the difference for the player will be clearer at some point. Intuitively, I would think that armour having higher damage resistance would wear out more quickly than armour that has damage avoidance, and that would be a good reason to seek damage avoidance gear, but I don't know if it really makes a difference.

6. Net

Net Avatar

I think that damaage avoidance is linked to 'miss', or it probably should be. If you avoid all the damage your opponent misses and your armour is not damaged, you are not stunned by his ability...
    Damage resistance imho means you are hit, armour takes damage, but you not (if you resist to all remaining damage).

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I could be wrong but damage avoidance seems to be a dexterity based defence where as damage resistance is mitigation coming straight off armour durability. I tried to confirm that but ended up getting confused and going for icecream.

8. Pleione

Pleione Avatar

Any definitive update on this subject?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.