Damage resistance nerf incoming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Despothes2, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

@Chris you mentioned nerfing the hell out of damage resistance. 75% DR cap is nothing and can be obtained with light armor - so what will be the point of using heavy armor?

FrostII, Spinok and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  2. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I also heard that in the stream, and almost crapped my armor.

It seems we plate users are about to get the nerf stick shoved WAY up our...you get the picture.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My max is 75% with leather but my DR is only 11.7.

Diab Blackbow and Numa like this.
  4. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Mine is 8.8 with a max of 91% in full bone. I don't how I would get 91%.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Isnt 75% more than damage avoidance resists when it triggers?

Hornpipe likes this.
  6. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

I think a better solution to this would be upping the deflection passive in heavy armor to a 4 or 5x skill like just about every other passive in the game, and maybe tune it down a little bit so reaching 100% is a little harder to do without going to 105-110 in that skill. Hard caps are stupid.

Right now deflection gives 16.5% max at GM and is just a 1x skill.

My full epic plate set gives 17.2 DR, with 110% max, with GM deflection. 17.2 DR is barely better than bone and leather apparently. If this change goes into effect I can see tanking with light armor being the new norm since I'll be able to cast spells more easily with not much of a reduction in DR.

Of course he could be just nerfing armor across the board and we'll see light armor DR caps much lower than what is obtainable now.

7. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

From what I understand, the DR cap is the percentage of the damage that your DR blocks - so 8.8 * .91 = 8.008 is the physical damage that is resisted when you are hit. With a 75% hard cap, you would only resist 6.6 per hit. That is if he doesn't lower the hard cap to some other number for light armor.

8. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Max damage resistance is the percentage of a hit that can be negated by damage resistance. So if you have 100 DR with a cap of 100%, 100 is subtracted from the damage of every hit (EX: a hit for 150 becomes 50, anything under 100 is negated entirely). With a max cap of 75%, you are guaranteed to always take at least 25% of the hit. So 100 DR with a cap of 75%, that 150 hit still becomes 50 (100 is ~66.6% of 150) but it won't fully negated hits under 100(ex a hit for 100 exactly becomes a hit for 25 because you can only stop 75% of the hit).

I'm personally not a fan of the nerf. Maybe it's too easy to get to 100% and that should be nerfed, but I feel if I invest enough in heavy armor to get that bonus, then I should get that bonus. I don't like arbitrary number caps.

9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The problem is that with 100% max dr, your resisting your full dr ammount every time. That means when you in platemail manage to raise dr to 70, no hit 70 dmg or under will hurt you.

Leather armor can reach the 75% cap. Thats likely not right as well. All this was nudged up when they gave everyone 30% base maxdr

Hornpipe likes this.
  10. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

That's what I was trying to say, but you have better words. Yes, reaching 100% is very easy since deflection is only a 1x skill.

11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

So trying to understand this. So in high end Bone Armor I will always subtract 8.8 from the the hit? My max is 91%.
    In Founders Plate with a vendor bought plate helm, I have double the DR and already over 100% Max with zero skills in Heavy Armor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Correct the percentage is how much of the monsters hit counts for being "resistable" and the resist is how much you resist the problem with resist and plate has always been though that even at 15 or 35 with defensive stance that means almost nothing against any higher tier mobs that hit for 200+ not counting dragons and boss mobs when they crit....and damage resist means less than nothing against magic

I've said before cloth should provide zero avoidance or resist if you get attacked in cloth barring skills you should always get hit for all the damage

Leather should have high avoidance and zero reaistance...if you wear leather you dodge alot but when you get hit you take full damage

Chain should have medium avoidance and medium resist...dodging in chain is possible and when you get hit it doesn't hurt quite as much as leather or cloth

Finally plate should have zero avoidance and high resist....plate is hard to move in therefore hard to dodge but damn it..it should resist 30 to 70% of all damage depending on the monster

and the lower the level of the monster compared to you the less damage it should do across all armor types

Spoon likes this.
  13. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

But avoidance is not making your opponent miss, it's having his blow glance off of your armor.

14. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

Good point so mabye dodge needs to be more transparent and used more

15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Also, Gambeson armor was really effective armor in RL. It is not the same as a t-shirt.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It will reduce the damage from physical attacks by 8.8 points unless that is more than 91% of the damage done in that attack; in which case, it's capped at 91%.

• A mob does 15 points of damage to you. 91% of 15 is 13.65, which is grater than 8.8, so DR reduces the damage by the full 8.8 resulting in 6.2 points of damage.
    • A mob does 8 points of damage to you. 91% of 8 is 7.28, so your DR reduces the damage by 7.28 resulting in 0.72 points of damage.
    Also, as @Chris stated in the livestream, 75% is the maximum... er... maximum. That 91% is a bug.

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Because heavy armor has a higher resist value.

Even if the MAX is capped at 75%, in light armor you are resisting a max of 75% of a small resist value, meaning your armor is still like covering yourself in wet noodles. In heavy armor you will resist 75% of a significant number.

18. Sakarisei

Sakarisei Avatar

Maybe is because I've reached once more than 80 Damage Resistance with Chaos Shield at GM and 116 Attunement... with shield, I can reach more than 100 Damage Resistance...

[​IMG]

19. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

So yet again proving what plate and melee have known since persistance.......if you are not a pure mage wearing chain/plate in some form you are at a significant game breaking disadvantage...... so therefore we can conclude any spec not involving being a mage who has better defense than someone who specializes in heavy armor and defenses sucks completely.....and with the change @Chris is confirming to the masses that plate should never be used and that the developers only care about mages because they consistently ignore plate/melee and archers

20. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

i have really seen it all Now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.