Damage Resistance vs. Damage Absorption vs. Damage Avoidance

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Pong3d, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

I'm having trouble finding out how these three defensive traits work and the differences between the three. Can somebody share?

Katrina Bekers and Womby like this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

I'd like to know too.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Damage Avoidance refers to the armors ability to lower incoming damage. Plate has the highest.

One of the others is your characters ability to mitigate damage. I'd have to look up the specifics.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think they work like this, but getting an official answer would be great.

Avoidance = You avoid being hit. You take no damage
    Absorption = You are hit but the armor absorbs some of the damage, you take reduced damage.
    Resistance = I thought this was like avoidance but for magic. With the new attunement system affecting resistance effectiveness, I am starting to think it is more like absorption but for magic. But I dunno. *shrug*

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Here is a post by Chris.

Hope that helps.

It should also be noted that absorption is no longer just on the chest piece.

6. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

So basically your armor's resistance is how much damage get's subtracted from any incoming hit, and your damage absorption is the percentage of damage you take from any hit that is smaller than your resistance value.

That means:

A high resistance armor is good at withstanding heavy blows. (up to a point)

A high absorption armor is good at withstanding a lot of small attacks.

All hits do at least some damage, so no armor ever grants immunity from attacks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

It is confusing that armor has physical resistance when it also has absorption. Seems like an extra metric in there.

8. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

It's a combination system that has flat mitigation as well as fractional mitigation so that it creates a damage curve where bigger hits are better at breaking through armor, but smaller hits aren't useless.

You can basically visualize any piece of armor as a graph like this:

Graph

This is using the numbers from the example, an armor with an absorption of 0.6 and a resistance of 8.

The X axis is the amount of damage taken, the Y axis is the amount of damage the armor mitigates. The area formed below the two lines is the possible amount of mitigation the armor provides.

So basically you can see that the armor lets some damage through on all hits, but eventually hits a cutoff point where bigger hits get more and more of their damage past the armor without being impeded by the percentage absorption.

It's basically a system that makes big hits into the best attacks for breaking armor without ever making small hits completely useless.

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok I took Chriss numbers and made a chart so you can see how it works. The top chart is just using some of the guildies suits.

The lower chart you can plug in your own numbers and look at what whould happen if you are hit by - - put your own thoughts in there :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwvjT6d9onAFNllMa2xadFFmZ00

Koldar likes this.
  10. Xail

Xail Avatar

Thank now it is clear damage absorption and damage resistance....

1: What damage avoidance do?
    2: What damage deflection bonus do?

11. Xail

Xail Avatar

reading Weins201 link...

12. Xail

Xail Avatar

nope....no presence of damage avoidance in the spreadsheet...and deflection if you can reach max 50 in it (so I guess looking at the skill in the heavy armour tree) looks no material...

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Uh never said anything about it, it give you the numbers after you look at your suit, it does all the math for you. Look at your resist / avoid / absorb and plug the numbers in.

All I did was take his math and present it to you.

14. Xail

Xail Avatar

are
    ..."avoid" (you mean avoidance I guess)...but on the spreadsheet you talk about deflection...are the same thing?

15. Stranger

Stranger Avatar

Thread seems to have gotten side tracked...

From what i understand, OP is wondering about the differences of the three traits found on armor: Damage Resistance, Damage Absorption, and Damage Avoidance. (Not Deflection)

Im wondering as well... mainly, when would someone add Damage Resistance to armor instead of Damage Avoidance and vice versa when crafting.

16. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

I came back to reread this thread to refresh my memory of Chris' copied post above. The thing is in the post he mentions 3 armor values but does not define Damage Avoidance. Theres been some speculation on this thread, but is there any official word on its mechanics?

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

nope, still waiting too :)

and I'm not sure why it has to be a big mystery ;) This should be outlined in the manual.

edit: seems to be a lot of missed posts here, on my part ;) I should read up before commenting haha

edit2: nope, it's just really an old post haha :) but we still don't know what Damage Avoidance is... :(

18. Mysticvermin

Mysticvermin Avatar

After much searching I finally found some info from a video chat by Chris. Lots of good nuggets of info in there. How much is still valid is a good question though.
    1: Damage Avoidance affects the chance that an attack will turn into a glancing blow.
    2: As the quote above from Chris indicates Deflection increases both Damage Resistance & Damage Absorption.

The video can be found below.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/combat-skills-spells-video-chat.38539/

Fister Magee and 4EverLost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.