Dante Dearg, at your service!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Apostlyte, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apostlyte

Apostlyte Avatar

So, I played Ultima Online for 3 months before I gave up back in whatever year that was due to the PvP. I enjoyed the system greatly and I can already see this has the great look and mechanics thus far as the original.

Where do I get help to find things within the game? I started as a mage and can not find where I go to drop off quest items.

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The game is rather sandboxy so you'll need to be a bit more specific as to what you are looking for ;)

Sotamap.com is super handy for locating things and it can now open in a window ingame. I mapped mine to M so check your key bindings. Not sure what the default is for new players. Keep in mind the game is still in design and even the mapping system is not complete.

Quest turn in locations will depend upon the quest. Be sure to check your journal regularly throughout a quest's progression to see what step you are on. If you are on the turn-in step, it should direct you properly. If you are having problems finding a particular location, bring it up! We'll be sure to help ;)

Vyrin, Womby and Apostlyte like this.
  3. Apostlyte

Apostlyte Avatar

It is the bone dagger in the mages first quest. There were two things left on my checklist, take the dagger to Aeria and check the elders house. I prolly need to look harder.

Womby likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome, @Apostlyte !

Feel free to add me (Kara Brae) to your in-game friends list - I'll be glad to help you out with any questions you have.

My recommendation would be to store the bone dagger in your inventory for now and come back to that particular quest later on. If you take a look at the release notes for the current Release 40, you will see that the polishing of the mage's Path of Truth story line has been delayed. If you continue to try to complete that quest line, you will have a sub-optimal experience. It would be better to come back to it when it has been completed. That is what I did, by the way (which is why I don't know how that quest ends). https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-40-instructions.84529/

When you start the game, there are three different Paths you can embark on: The Path of Truth (which starts you out as a mage at the Blood River Massacre, and which is the path you started out on), the Path of Courage (which starts you out as a fighter at the Battle of Highvale) and the Path of Love (which starts you out as an archer at the Battle of Solace Bridge).

Only the Path of Love has been really completed and "polished", so for many releases players have been encouraged to either choose that path or to at least take a break from the other paths and travel to Soltown (right near Solace Bridge) to complete the beginner quests there (that will give you gold and experience) and pick up some of the quests from the Path of Love. As a matter of fact, the beginner scenes of Blood River and Highvale used to have a fast travel option for new players to zip immediately to Soltown. I don't know if they still do. Solace Bridge will also soon get a new area that will improve the new player experience for players visiting there. For that reason, I would also hold off on visiting Solace Bridge until that area is introduced.

To get to Soltown from Aerie, you have a few different routes to choose from. There are dangerous passes which separate different regions of Novia. Most can be traversed by new players by quickly dashing through, but in my experience that is successful only if you know where you are going. If you take the wrong turn or hesitate, you might get killed. To avoid all passes, I think it is possible to travel by ferry from Aerie to the island of Elysium (Port Phoenix, Xenos) and from there take a ferry to Etceter. From there you have to walk to Sawtooth Thicket and travel through the gap in the mountain range to the south. You will end up on the southern shore of Novia and can walk to Soltown from there. There is another safe route you can take by walking only, but it is longer.

[​IMG]

The quickest option is to teleport to another player on your friends list who happens to be in the area you want to go to. You need a teleport scroll for that. There are also "recall" scrolls in the game. If there is a particular town you always want to be able to return to quickly, talk to the town crier and ask him to bind you to that town. Then you can always use a recall scroll to fast-travel back to that town. All scrolls can be crafted or purchased.

The best way to plan a journey is to use the wonderful map on Sotamap.com (which was created by player Jakub White). This map is now available in-game (default hotkey "M"), but when making long journeys on the overland map I find it more convenient to see the whole map at once rather than a small portion of the map in a window.

On the overworld map you will encounter bandits, skeletons, wolves etc. that pull you into random encounters. The Road Encounters are not too difficult for new players, and they are attractive for the gold nodes they have. The skeleton encounters also have mandrake and nightshade nodes around the standing stones. The plains encounters are much more difficult, and new players might want to exit those without taking on the mobs.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your time in SotA!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Apostlyte

Apostlyte Avatar

Thank you!

I made it to Aerie and talked to the blacksmith and the quest did not complete as mentioned. I nearly died multiple times because I picked up EVERYTHING in blood river! But, I now have 1600+ gold, if that is worth anything... Can I friend you and get a jump to Solace? I am a die hard and will keep running as mage because that's what I do :p

Nick likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

Apostlyte and Vyrin like this.
  7. Womby

Womby Avatar

I am in game and heading to Soltown (not far from Solace Bridge). You can friend me and teleport if you like, and I'll show you the way to nearby Solace Bridge.

8. Womby

Womby Avatar

OK I'm in Soltown. Will wait here until 4:10 AM Austin time. Friend Womby and teleport.

9. Apostlyte

Apostlyte Avatar

Thank you!

10. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia Apostlyte!
    I played UO for several years, but it was well after Tamriel (non-pvp zone) was added. If I had tried it in that early period I would have run away also - not into being ganked either tyvm!
    SOTA is shaping up to be an awesome game, and we all have high hopes for it... so welcome! welcome! :)

Apostlyte likes this.
  11. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Welcome to new Britannia friend:D!! safe travels and enjoy your stay! feel free to contact me in game galahad dragonsbane :D

Apostlyte likes this.
  12. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Apostlyte likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.