DarkStarr please consider making a policy before/when launching "the Vault" 25APR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Apr 8, 2019.

?

What do you think? (multi choice)

Poll closed Apr 29, 2019.
  1. Portalarium needs an Official Rarity Policy

52.2%
  2. Portalarium does not need an Official Rarity Policy

8.8%
  3. Portalarium needs a Reserved list of things that never will be sold again

49.3%
  4. Portalarium does not need a Reserved list of things that never will be sold again

10.3%
  5. I think the Vault is a great idea, I will definitely buy expired stuff if it comes back

30.1%
  6. I think the Vault is a bad idea, I will definitely need torches and pitchforks

28.7%
  7. Arrghh, my valuable collection...... Nooooooooo.....

16.2%
  8. There is no Spoon

17.6%
  9. Portalarium please listen to Spoon, Save the Whales

16.2%
  10. Portalarium please ignore Spoon, make corsets for the crown store

9.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So sorry to hear that. Such hard lessons during the course of wishing and hoping for many years. Finally more good is coming in-game and something happens.

2. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Yeah, I remember when @Cordelayne (I believe) was reprimanded by @DarkStarr for the HoB Cabinet of Virtues quip on a Livestream when the CF Vendors, etc. Yeah, its a touchy subject.

However, I'm almost certainly going to lose value in this whole exchange because I've collected nearly everything in the game. Darkstarr's new policy, as it stands, removes all protections except to Kickstarter. As we've seen above, many people made the argument about why this isn't a good idea and who its hurting.

On the other hand, if this is going to happen, then I want it clear that the items I desire the most are (and yes, I have a list because /collector/):

HoB Cabinet of Virtues
    Oracle Cloak
    Elven Cloak
    Blades Cloak
    FireLotus Tavern (Wood & Plaster 2-Story with Front Porch Town Home)
    Blood Reliquary Items (Blood Fountain, Blood Cloaks, etc.)
    Admiral's Outfits
    Large Oracle Head
    Heart Cloak
    Hearts Cloak
    Grim Reaper Masks
    Rotten Flesh Cloak
    Elven Archer/Warrior Armor
    Ancient Elven Bow
    Elven House in a Hill
    Cria
    Donkey Foal
    Saddle and bags with stand
    Rowboat
    Admiral's Hat
    Garden Shed
    Large Knight's Tent
    Small Knight's Tent
    Stables
    Greenhouse (stretch goal version)
    Black Foal
    Buckskin Foal Decoration Pet
    White Foal

Personally, I'd find it just as acceptable to rename "Cria" to "Energy Vortex Pet" and color it pink and resell it...

Sincerely,

Engineer

Bom and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I think the OP's idea is great. I backed the original KS and then never got around to playing until release. I don't know half of what's in the game still. I play the game as a game, not for collectible value. Still, I think if they're going to sell or provide (questable / craftable) stuff as limited edition, it should actually be limited edition, and stay that way.

That said, I'm lovin' @Datendrache 's list there. Didn't know about a bunch of those things. Would totally love a non rusty Greenhouse and a Garden Shed!

Bom and Datendrache like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Maybe the vault should only sell what other players put into it. Then it sells expired content, but does not magnify the amount of content. It'll still be a somewhat race to the bottom for pricing, as auction houses do, but it's not flaunting the expiration events.

If it's Portalarium's Vault they can take a COTO cut the way non-CF vendors do.

King Robert, Bom, majoria70 and 2 others like this.
  5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Interesting topic!

Bonus points for referencing MtG. When in doubt, consult a Richard? :p

Re: the defining tooltip idea, I feel like the white borders (versus black) on the re-printed magic cards worked well. It was jarring enough to know you didn't have the OMG-Exclusive-Original but you still got to get it.

In the spirit of keeping the game alive and well, I get the vault, I totally get the UI work on the Crown Store too even though I'm a premium purist by heart.

It's a difficult balance! You're right, sometimes it's so much more than a game, it's a bit like governing a community!

I feel like a tool-tip, while nice, might not be enough. One of the things I've seen in MtG is foils. So, perhaps some sort of custom UI trim on the rares to make the item really stand out would be appropriate? Nothing too ostentatious, just a nice foil trim around the item description or something, with some sort of Seal?

Oh God, I just Beetlejuiced Seal again.

Bom likes this.
  6. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Maybe the vault items will just be inordinately expensive, as to demotivate anyone from getting them unless they just absolutely have to have them - I mean, "I just gotta complete my ensemble with that elven cloak" type of thing. And besides, your rares will obviously still be rares, particularly in regards to any sort of "goldmine rare racket" wherein the vault re-released items will be differentiated from the originals - In most circumstances this will benefit you, in actuality, because there will be plenty of inauthentic items all over the place, bridging the gap between the great void and the importance of your original purchases during the great item-rush of pre-release SOTA.

And, imho, if you're gambit is exclusivity and marketplace shenanigans you're playing a sort of meta-game anyway.

edit: your*

Bom likes this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm sure we're in the stage of the forum post where this is no longer being read by the devs, but just in case.

Consult the people who know the value of stuff. I have relatively little collectables compared to someone like @Lord Andernut who has an entire Museum that's basically going to be ruined.

Then make these ACTUAL premium prices. Premium. Ask the current owners, look in the forums, don't just pick random numbers out of thin air.

Bom, Astirian and Xee like this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, but we know he read the OP and it is in the OP.
    :cool:

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I disagree with your statement that they don't care. They have only made a few mistakes on a few items which were fixed as soon as it was found / pointed out. They do listen to the player base and are willing to chat about these things live in the QA streams. perhaps someone should discuss this and see what the response would be.

As to being lucky enough to get good value on items it still happens daily. myself I am a collector and have almost 1 of very item in the game. there are a few I do not have that is for sure and I do look for deals but I still pay good cost to get the things I want for my collection. I do think in the long run values will increase abit more as player base grows and as the new players get income levels required to purchase the higher end items.

There was a list compiled already in these forums of items that were discontinued, so I agree NO WAY IN HADES these items should come back to the table.

Bom likes this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Wow...
    Just wow... and
    I always thought of SotA as a game not a career choice, a job or a retirement plan. So my views are a little different than some.

If I buy something, it is because I want it and I will use it, not because I wanted to resell it for more money later, or hold it over my friends head as something they will never be able to get.

I think the “From the Vault” tag should be good enough for most players to be satisfied with, they can still hold it over the head of all their friends that their item is more rare. But it opens back up some really cool stuff for people who now want to support the game.

I understand this may lose some buyers or drop the prices, but this whiny thread has probably done more damage than the change would have.

11. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

There are a lot of examles from the real world of replicas of hard to acquire items, ranging from art to firearms to wine, wherein the original items were not displaced but at times became more valuable as they re-emerged into the conclsciousness of a new generation.

It will be a boon to up-cycle existing assets insofar as the replicas are identifiable as such. It will be nice to see some more home variety and some of the old clothes were pretty cool.

I hope it works out well.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Portals funding policy requires them to sell stuff virtually esp since they are free to play and do not require a sub. They pump out tons of telethon rares (old name and mostly crappy stuff) where they make money is on the harder to get stuff and expired items are hard to get. This ain’t uo and revenue is important to the longgevity of the game they also can’t hire and pay people just to make virtual trinkets. people require more than just stuff you drop in a chest and they are lacking good visuals on game play way this is more impactful than a new pretty hat imop.

Personally I’d like them focus more on houses boats and tf deeds as a funding model but they have dumped too many houses on the market as it is. The bigger issue is the player base. People arnt playing this game. I’ll admit there is very little in advertising and there relying on word of mouth guess what the game is as buggy as hell word of mouth isn’t so great atm. Back to my point they need to do this so the game survives to esp 2, 3 etc. I’ve no issue with them vaulting pledge items at a premium if it helps improve the game or the player base.

The vendor thing was a stupid thing on their part. Those vendors were topping $125 because they tied them to pledges and they made the tax ones super punishing. That artificially created insane demand for some thing that imop should be avail to everyone at a reasonable price. They are still priced way to high. Someone suggest they higher a economist I totally agree they need help with this stuff badly.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    K1000, Astirian and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Quick suggestion, since its a mash-up of a few earlier ones.

Anything "From the Vault" could be recolored, and the name "Replica" attached to the end.

So, "Spyglass Replica", "Admiral's Hat Replica", etc.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Bom, Duke Gréagóir, Jaesun and 8 others like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Replica is better. I like that.

Bom, Jaesun, Astirian and 3 others like this.
  15. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Bom, Astirian and Datendrache like this.
  16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I was truly shocked to read the OP and learn about this "Vault". One of the things I've always liked to do is earn/search/acquire rare and exclusive items. I never did this for profit. I never sold one item for r/l money. It was just something I enjoyed doing. This decision has taken that enjoyment away.

I can't in good conscience continue my rewards subscription. I've been playing too long to give up on this game entirely - but this has been a real morale killer.

FruityTooty, Sea Bear, Bom and 3 others like this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ah.
    Someone didn’t check the spoilers and the MtG references.

Your assumption is simply incorrect. The dramas throughout the history of this project and this forum can easily prove that hypothesis wrong.

You see all those who express being upset would have been even more so without a warning. While those who are not upset wouldn’t care anyway.

While if the requested policy would have been there most of such dramas could have been avoided.

Where changes like these upset those most who has been the most generous to the project.

The resellers are few and don’t matter that much. However for each reseller there are a bunch of their customers.
    Players who have no intent of making any money but who simply were enthusiastic about the game and purchased items from both the official store but also since they couldn’t find some items in the store they also made purchases from such resellers.
    Those are the ones who feel the most betrayed and resentful when that item comes back at a way lower price point. Not the traders nor the RMT folk.

Instead their customers are also the same customers that port really wants/needs, it is the same enthusiastic demographic that love the game and are willing to spend, however those customers are the ones we lose over and over due to the communication gaps like the missing requested policy.

Same thing as it was for WotC and MtG back in 1995.
    Same thing which was predicted for this project during/after Kickstarter in 2013-2014.

Our primate wetware dictates this.
    Hence why most retailers announces sales in advance, so you get a warning that changes are coming.
    While sudden sales can make you lose long term customers.
    Since if they bought that TV on Monday and then on Friday they see it for half price then they are going to feel tricked and resentful where that primate feeling will stay with your store and they will shop elsewhere. While if you on Monday told them there was a sale on Friday, then they would know the risk and be more likely to blame themselves than the store.

If you like psychology or business/marketing then go look up “loss aversion” on Ted or YouTube.

We don’t need to lose more players over predictable and avoidable drama.

Also insulting people right when they have that feeling of being fooled will predictably trigger their Fight, Flight, Freeze centers.

So please if you like the game and want us to keep as much of the population as possible then pretty please don’t insult and drive away the fence sitters who never thought about making money, but rather just wanted that shiny thing that wasn’t in the store.
    Thank you

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Rada Torment, Bom, Astirian and 3 others like this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

While I can accept that any tag identifying it as a "from the Vault" "replica""Replacement", . . . . A N Y T H I N G, however - does make it "alright"????

In principle it is still wrong, any items received during pre Persistence should NEVR be replicated, N E V E R, just like Pledge Items should have never bee duplicated.

Now I see this and I have to ask - what about Expert Crafting Tables? I can go dig for more items that have been rereleased, so from the get go, this is already a based in deception.

Again the tags do ID them , however , . . . .

Just look at the replies there is a significant portion who think otherwise, and those are the ones who put this game on the map and mostly have kept it alive.

So does it make sense? Nope, but what do I know.

Bom, Amelli and By Tor like this.
  19. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Put some sort flaw in the item and make the "Vault" the "Scratch and Dent" section.

Bom and Astirian like this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

half-deflated balloon a few feet above the ground, greenhouse with broken windows that only gives 1.75 rate?

Bom, Jaesun, Astirian and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.