Dear Sirs : will the average joe be able to have a little house?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Owens Casey, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

Wish I found this place sooner, game is really shaping up I see. Glad to be here.

okay.. I would love to be able to afford to give any amount of large funding to help the game... but unfortunately..I take care of a blind person. We don't have alot of cash i can invest in a game. 40 or 50 bucks I can scrape up most likely.

I love player housing in games, eq2 I had a small apartment with pets and stuff for a small amount of in game gold. Eventually had enough money to make my own guild hall.

But 500 bucks is way out of my real life realm. If I work hard in game will it be possible or just impossible to get a piece of property?

Been playing Archeage and a major problem is people hording property. Which sucks. Alot of people I know already quitting because of this issue. Being able to work for a piece of land to farm or sell from should be something you achieve not something just given to you because you paid a lot of rl cash But I farmed enough money to buy a in game house... but still have a bad taste in my mouth that I had to pay a outrageous price
    in time and gold.

Also the issue of gold sellers changing the economy and making the inflation raise so quickly the money you make can't keep up LOL, almost like a mouse on a wheel trying to catch piece of cheese. Always sooo close yet so far.

thanks for humoring me or reading this, hope to get some answers..

best wishes,

Owens Casey

(with the help of Alienware, I am now a Founder Pledge. Thank you!!! )

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You currently need a $275 pledge for a tax free Row House Deed.

You can get an $85 Row House Deed in the Add-on Store, but it's taxed (in-game gold).

All housing is limited (finite) though. So although there will be housing available at launch, it will probably be bought up very quickly. My guess would be that if you don't have a house by the first week after launch, you're going to have to go to extremes to get one before Episode 2.

licemeat and AvorinSwiftslay like this.
  3. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Definitely a guess at best.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I doubt that....you can buy a house with in game money...and with all the player owned towns there should be a lot of lots out there.

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

with the advent of player towns, housing will be in my opinion no problem. If you really want a house you will be able to get one. at portphoenix we are always taking applications for people. And we are very understanding of circumstances. if you want to talk to any of our people, we are very down to earth. http://www.portphoenix.com/

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Can I live in port pheonix?:p

Margard and AvorinSwiftslay like this.
  7. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

wow ty so much for the answers. hope to make some friends here. Have had a rough time in AA. Tons of scamming and rough time playing without any guild or support.

I love crafting and farming things like that.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

rune, you are a very well spoken person with distinct beliefs. :) I see no reason why you would not fit in at port phoenix. The town owner Wrathphoenix knows all the ultima lore buy heart, as do you. If you would like you should talk to him, he is easy to talk to :)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

It's a guess. I'm not trying to give anyone advice, financial or otherwise.

But in my estimation, housing will be bone dry at launch. One only need see the outrage at the lack of housing in Archeage to understand that there is nothing more valuable in an MMO than limited quantities of stuff. I'm not saying every home will be taken care of, I'm not saying every home will be used. I'm just saying that every home will be purchased and owned within one week after launch.

That's my prediction.

10. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

That would depend on what player town owners plan to do, and whether or not they choose to hold back some lots for players who join later or who may take longer to gather enough funds.

Housing will definitely be limited, I agree with you there. It's been said officially, after all. But I don't think it will all be snapped up quite as fast as you predict.

Just my guess, of course... :D

Duke Gréagóir, smack and Duke NRaas like this.
  11. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

sounds like ill need to make some friends fast lol.

Would always be willing to share a place or even work in a shop with or for someone. Prosper and move up in trade as a group type of thing.
    I am a cs support expert in rl, so I love selling stuff retail and service related LOL. I know ,,, sad sad sad. Shakes head at myself.

I like doing stuff other then just killing mobs and pk'ing.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Also... welcome to the forums, Owens!

You can actually get an 'entry-level pledge' for $25 at the moment, if you first claim the $20 Alienware coupon and then put it towards a $45 Adventurer pledge.

If you're able to put aside a little extra now and again, you might consider buying Store Credit coupons until you get enough together to buy a row lot for $85 (which comes with a free 2-story home). As Baron Drocis mentioned, the store lots are taxed in-game (and we don't yet know how much that will be), but if having a home of your own in-game is important to you then it's something to think about. If you get into one of the pre-alpha releases, you can take a look around a few of the homes and see if they appeal to you enough to consider scraping up a bit more cash. :)

Another thing to consider is that if you have gaming friends who may be interested in SotA, then once you have a pledge you can add to it with referral bonuses. (As far as I know, this is still valid.) For each person who buys a pledge and gives your details as their referrer, you get a $25 bonus to add to your pledge. I don't know if this can be converted to store credit, but I don't think so. However, if you happen to know 10 people who might like to sign up and name you, you'd get to the Ancestor pledge level which comes with a tax-free lot deed (and a bunch of other goodies) without needing to spend any more than your original $25 if you're in the US. ($15 for international shipping otherwise, for the physical rewards.)

Anyway... time to take off my sales hat! ;) Not trying to tell you what to do with your money, just pointing out a couple of options. :)

licemeat, Jatvardur and Koldar like this.
  13. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

o nice, I signed to for the alien deal and received it.

Thanks for the time and effort of your response. Good tips. Much appreciated!

Just spending some time tonight reading the forum and listening to the youtube channel casts.
    I wish I could have my AA money back now and put it towards this lol. Also love it is on steam.

My fan on my v card seems to be fried so already have some outgoing cash in near future. Waiting for black Friday to get a new card.
    Neighbor has a hang out garage fixing cars where a bunch of people hang out, then leave their empties.
    That may be worth a few (new found) bucks if I gather them up and bring them to the store.

I'll figure out something. But two heads better then one so thanks :)

14. smack

smack Avatar

They are also putting in the ability to rent individual rooms, so that's an option to have before you have enough gold to own a piece of land.

I think that player owned towns (POTs) changed the housing game completely. There are likely close to 70 POTs by now, which is more than twice as many NPC towns that have housing. And we'll likely have even more POTs by the time the game launches. It will be interesting to see if POT owners duplicate what the Devs are doing with NPC towns: allocate 20-30% of the land to the general public post-launch vs. reserving all of it pre-launch.

Montaigne and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Owens Casey!

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Welcome to the game and to the community Owens Casey :)

Mata likes this.
  17. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

And this is what I love about this community! Welcome, Owens! You will find a lot of very friendly folks here, all with a passion for the game. I am not surprised at all that the Port Phoenix people are opening their doors. Indeed, there will be a number of player owned towns, and I suspect that most of them will have at least a few lots set aside for future growth and new people. Be sure to ask for help, either here or in the game, if you have any questions - or need help learning how to move, lol. *thinks about setting up a "Movement School for long-time UO players"*

Mata and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Right. but as the Devs have said that they will have fixed amount of housing availible at launch to be purchased with ingame gold, REGARDLESS of how many addon/pledge houses are sold, i don't agree with you.

There will be housing for sale, and i think there will be so for atleast a couple of months.

Lord Beli likes this.
  19. Owens Casey

Owens Casey Avatar

Bit of topic: Love your sig Arradin, I played a dwarf in Warhammer for several years.

To the others, thanks so much for the warm welcome.... kinda makes it feel like Christmas when everyone is nice to you. :)

Arradin and Mata like this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

A week, two months, what's the difference if it runs out?

There are approximately 40k people that have access to play the game right now. There are probably at least that many that will come from Steam Early Access over the next 3 months.

Only a small percentage of these people will have homes. At launch, if Shroud of the Avatar has even half the success that Archeage did, we'll have 500k people. Archeage had arguably MORE housing than SOTA ever will in its history. And you think it's going to be enough for people? You're right, we disagree.

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.