Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Death again.

Discussion in 'Release 18 Feedback' started by Miganarchine, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Where are you guys going with this?
    Every time I die I have to wait minutes to re-spawn at the map entrance, It's just a BIG quit point which after a few deaths I take because it makes grinding up a big problem, It's no fun!

Budner likes this.
  2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I rarely die but when I do, I try to look for the ankh so I can resurrect without penalty. If you are just grinding though what does it matter what part of the map you are at?

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Death penalty of 2 minutes is way too long. Maybe one minute.

4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Death penalty is considerably less bothersome now that ankhs show up on the compass, in my personal experience (trust me, I die frequently and with great gusto)

Duke Violation likes this.
  5. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Did not know you could re-spawn at ankhs.

In Secret world you re-spawn instantly as a ghost at nearest way point, and you have the option to resurrect there or travel in ghost form to your body where you died and chance resurrect there, which means you have a chance to carry on your progress where you left off.

Not wishing to teach my Gran to suck eggs but.. worth a look for the Devs as Sota suffers from too many exit points in my opinion. cheers.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

A resurrection stone would be a nice rare.

If it were like a glass sword that is used one time and it breaks. It would make a nice rare to display in your house on a display case or something you can use once and it is gone.

EDIT: In fact having a resurrection stone along with invisibility cloaks, and an item called an elder wand in the game, might be fun for some people to put on display in their house as well.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree. Although there are A LOT of scenes that either don't have ankhs in them or they're not appearing no the compass.

I hope you guys aren't "done" with death mechanics though. I find the whole experience to be rather pointless. Unlike the OP, I don't think death should be measured by how much it cuts into "your ability to grind". I'd like to see a more impactful event occur.

I think Star Citizen has a good idea: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

But I wouldn't want to see any form of perma-death in SOTA. I think for all the positive impact to roleplaying there are an equal amount of negatives.

SOTA seems to currently have a huge gap in roleplaying logic though. Why don't Avatars die? Why don't NPC's die? Why are their graves? Why are their undead? Why does the Oracle protect avatars from fighting avatars, but can't seem to do anything about non-avatars? The whole thing makes no sense.

I got killed by a ghost, which turned me into a ghost. But then I came back to life so I could go fight the ghost again. What the?

I'd like to see players that get killed become ghosts that can go kill other players (using a limited set of tools). The "penalty" could be that if they don't attack players in their area (assuming there are some there) then it takes longer for them to respawn. Something like that. So now when you see a skeleton of a player on the ground you'll think "oh no, that means there might be a ghost near by that wants to kill me!" :)

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Drocis,

I'd like to see physical injury on death that you'd have to heal in some way other than a standard Heal spell. That would create a real cost to death, because you'd have to pay for reagents or find a healer or get a potion, even if you aren't wearing any gear. Though I think damage to armor should be an important factor in death too.

9. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Cool idea on the ghost expect for how will that work in single player modes and that takes away from PvP being consensual at all times.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Details details.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What we really need is no automatic respawn without our permission. We should be able to choose to stay dead or not.

I have a good reason why!!! ;)

[​IMG]

Imagine if the next Firlotus party could be scheduled to happen in the spirit world. Only the dead shall see it.

12. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I give up with this game it's on it's own crash course to oblivion, driven by the all seeing community. Ta ta.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There is no need to condemn yourself over a perceived future of a project that is not yours to begin with.

Miganarchine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.