Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Death Penalty is Too Low

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Black Tortoise, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I made an experiment for the sake of argument... I turned all my skills to maintain (being adv level 51) while doing the love questline...

Was I too low level ? I don't know... many other people told me you can do it !

So I tried !

I had spent 2 hours in Krull with my guild beforehand, I amassed 250k xp, skills set to maintain.

I had bugs upon bugs on the quest, bug upon bugs fighting, item durability bugs, inventory bugs, combat bugs, stuck into the walls bug.

Many times I died because of stutters and extreme lag when the skeleton mages would use certain spells and the VFX overloaded my GPU.

So I must have died I dunno 20-30 times (I know its alot) over a week or so...

I have not noted my xp loss, it was just to see the end result, and I made every effort I could not to die, including potions, having regs for all my spells etc... I was PIMPED.

When I killed Anapa, my XP was down to 30k, with the XP bonus at the end and the XP from enemies, I was up again to 140k xp pool.

So after all those quests running around like a madman back and forth, then killing hundreds if not thousands of enemies, I am worse off than before I started.

Not only that, I almost came to the point I should have abandoned the quest because I didn't want decay to start eating at my skills.

One of the most frustrating gaming experiences I ever had... ever.

2 hours in Krull = 250k XP... a full week doing a major questline = xp loss.

Do the devs think the reward is balanced ? How many hours did you think it take me to complete that quest without any walkthrough, often battling bugs, logging out and on until the NPC actually could be talked to (they often froze)...

I dunno I played over 6 hours per day, it was painful, hair ripping scenario.

I've rarely felt that insulted playing a game... it was like a punishment all along, but I swallowed the pill, as the stranger I am used to being punished just for being myself.

Death penalty is too low to TOP TIER players... but WAY too high for casual players, it does not even make sense with the quest system.

Its not like you could know for sure there wasn't 3 skeleton mages in the next room...

You die, its normal, its a game... I should start again and NOT be thinking about calculating if I got enough pool left so that my hard, HARD earned skills do not decay.

I'm adventurer level 52 now since I unlocked my skills, and death penalty PISSES ME OFF.

I consider myself a new, casual player, its my first time running those quests.

oh and BTW after selling all my loot, I gained like 2000 gold in the WHOLE quest... some of those mobs took me 10 minutes to kill, like the ghosts for example... and they give 11 gp !!! WHAT THE HELL, a slime I kill in 3 seconds have 20+ gold... what is wrong with you guys.

Why would a slime carry gold anyways... same for ghosts... at least wisps don't give loot... erhhmm.

oh insulted, INSULTED.

I have been playing for months now and I got a BIG 10k gold... I cannot even buy ONE piece of armor that makes sense at my level with that. They go for 20-40 k a PIECE.

INSULTED.

BETRAYAL :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Several at or around lvl 99, I wont GM any of them. I like advertising my GM crafting skills while concealing my almost-GM combat skills. The difference between 99 and 100 is insignificant.

Indeed!

I also feel its too insignificant for those around adv lvl 80.

@Chris @DarkStarr could we get another look at this subject for the next telethon? I recall you, DS, commenting in the past, about enjoying the tears of players attempting to reach the higher levels. There appears to be too few tears! This game is too easy. Even those complaining in this thread are perfect evidence that this system is not working well enough - they dont fear death nearly enough, and believe they deserve the status they hold! Bah! A cold a bitter world should await those daring to be the mightiest of warriors. The rest of us belong playing lutes, clanking steins, and emoting dances in the taverns! ... my tavern, preferably of course ;)

3. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Making death meaningful I see..

As a very casual player myself, I wish penalty from death stays as it is, or even nerfed if that's possible.

I personally DO NOT like the idea of dying = losing your time spent in game.

Death is meaningful as it is, being succumb to death is frustrating enough, not to mention travelling back and forth as a ghost. Adding even more penalty to dying will make less strong players reluctant to dive into challenging adventures.

If you really want to make death meaningful, I'd rather suggest make use of ghost form in a better way.

Such as quests, places or people can only be accessed and interacted through ghost form.

Beaumaris, Cordelayne and kaeshiva like this.
  4. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

you are right.. this is just to force players to play game to recover xp points... well.. i've do that for a lot of time..
    better use time to bring my dog to the park, at least I make someone happy.

Max Bennis and FrostII like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere, @Black Tortoise - but how many xp's do you lose on your 1st death in 24hrs ?

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

The amount I lose is irrelevant, if what Im asking for is the game to be more challenging by means of making death more punitive in other ways, or for players to lose more exp when they die.

7. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorta figured you'd respond that way.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

"Too insignificant" ? How much do they lose for it to be "too insignificant" to you ?

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I stepped away last September to take a break. I just came back this month to an OP polearms guy at level 86 fighting dark orange mobs and owning them.
    Running around solo in the Rise killing mobs with this guy 98, that used to give me a hard time.
    Going into Ulfheim with my level 81 dagger guy and killing all the Drakalas, Drakagas and Drakserkers like they owe me money.

Yeah the game has gotten QUITE a bit easier.... and then when I finally died and only lost 70K with my level 97 guy... I was confused. I thought I was going to have to put an hour or two of work back in. He has 13 combat GMs. I play with a lot less fear now.

With people soloing dragons, two manning supposedly high end bosses.... this game is quickly going to become EH! to a lot of players.... once passing 80.

11. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

Wait...my avatar loses XP when it dies? That's news...and all I could see is the resurrection timer getting longer. Maybe my avatar hasn't died often enough for me to notice?
    M2C...can not stand open world or "uninvited" pvp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.