Decay Removed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daigoji Gai, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

2. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

over 2 billion. You also have to factor in spec, cuz that really does reduce your decay a lot and if you bulk of exp is in your specced schools, you will not lose nearly as much. As you can see from my pic though, I am a generalist. I would rather be good at many things then great at one.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    FrostII and Barugon like this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

Suggesting one alternative death penality.
    You becomes afraid of what killed you making you hesitate to get closer to it and eager to run away.
    decreased speed when getting close and increased speed when running away.
    Penality last until you killed several of ...

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What would this accomplish?

6. Blightlord Knightmare

Blightlord Knightmare Avatar

I was shocked when I saw this in the release information. Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me. I come from the old school days of MUDs. I always felt the death penalty on this game was outrageously low, but this is just crazy.

I don't regret all the hundreds of hours I've put into this game, and I had alot of fun with some of you, but Ill just be moving on now.

I really wanted to be here for many more years, but this single issue is just a deal breaker for me.

Happy trails to everyone. I know some of you are weird about people saing goodbye, but I always thought it was nice.

After losing The Secret World and now this, I have no idea what to do next, but there's always something. Ciao!

7. Vero

Vero Avatar

Too bad this is the final straw for you. Safe travels sir and be safe

kaeshiva likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

3rd worst decision ever.
    Right after forced mmo and f2p.
    Damn, that's a rather bad release for me ^^

Nakro and Cyin like this.
  9. Nakro

Nakro Avatar

what?! if there's no real death penalty then what's the point?! yeah thx but no thx. hopefully cyberpunk 2077 won't be a let down. anyway im out too.. if they bring back xp loss for death, then ill come back, maybe, probably not. damn, cant believe it wow

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The shoe that fits one pinches another, there is not recipe for life that suit all - carl jung. I guess its best from a business perspective to see what one will make the most players leave.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I willingly admit that won't be the case because of the removal.
    Still, i like my ingame deaths to have a meaning. I am not as hardcore as perma death. But somthing at least.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Gorthyn likes this.
  12. Vero

Vero Avatar

"We are considering other systems to replace it but no exact replacement is planned for at this time so currently item durability is the only death penalty."

Let's wait and see what Port will implement coming months right? ;)

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Must say I am surprised that they have not replaced it with something else, I think there should be a penalty of some sort for dying, whether it be having to do a corpse run or a significant debuff on stats or skills for a period of time if the XP loss thing is deemed untenable.

Having a consequence (even potentially or temporarily) of dying in UO, Star Wars Galaxies and even Dark Age of Camelot added some spice to a fight and made you assess the risks at least a bit. I do Port should add something back in as a replacement.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OH MAN why would you just quote that part of what I said, makes me look like an *******.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

If you are talking to me, that wasn't my intention.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im all for death making you cuss too, and i think at les a tiny bit of gear breakage is still associated with death.

Maybe adding a tunnelvision graphic to your screen for a couple mins that slowly fades away like res sickness when you arent ressed by a player.

They could even make res more expensive to use focus and reg wise

17. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I'm not saying you did it intentionally, but it makes it look like all I said was make the most players leave.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm all for a death penalty that inconveniences players relatively equally. The problem with the decay system we had was it was brutal for some and a joke for others, depending on playstyles and amount of time you have available to play, etc. etc. Bring on the inconvenience! If I'm going to get set back more from a single death than I can achieve in a play session though, actually not playing ends up being a better option - that's just the basic math. This is bad for keeping people interested/playing the game in general. Most of us who were against the decay, I don't believe were against a death penalty existing. I'm certainly not. I'd just like to see a fair, even-handed penalty. I still think death causing attenuation (or full xp gain stop) for a period is the best solution. Perhaps only 50% if rezzed.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Some good comments here, but I can't help but be pesimistic about this issue. From what I've read, (an awful lot of reading), the community is split very deeply at a philosophical level and I can't ever see the circle squared to satisfy both views....let me elaborate.

Now that exp decay is gone a whole host of players are despondant as they see risk vs reward as neutered. Many, including me, see the challenge, tension and thrill virtually wiped out. Many, like me recall sitting, hands sharking at the keyboard after a particularly challenging activity in many a game, but thrilled when it succeeds.

Since this proposed change I've heard many folks talk about what will replace it, mostly pretty basic stuff, such as temporary slowness, no exp gain for a time, etc... Each and every time this has been mentioned the other side of the player base has consistently said, ''what is the point of that? It negatively impacts my fun'. It would seem that whilst there is a mindset that enjoys negative consequences attached to challenges, rewards and failure, there is an equally strong and growing mindset that any form of negative consequences in games are pointless and irritating distractions to fun. It would also seem from the back and forth of discussion on this issue as it has resurfaced time and again with different game mechanics, that neither side can comprehend the others mindset in the slightest.

SOTA is argued to be in great need of players to push forward into future episodes and I speculate that Portalarium sees the 'no negative consequences' player base as the larger, growing and future of the player base, hence the direction of the so called QOL adjustments.

For me this is sad, depressing even, but I have long ago come to realise that my beloved play style is an anachronism and as I get older, so am I.

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Fixed that ^^

Steevodeevo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.