DECAY WARNING: Bug exists where you can die with 100+ hp.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by null2, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. null2

null2 Avatar

EDIT:
    Thank you Portalarium for looking into this issue!!
    BE WARNED
    Here is the bug report:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/dying-with-over-100-hp-left.97934/

I have been dying with over 100 hp left. The bug report has a video demonstrating it - action starts at 4m05s.

It has happened to me 4 times (including the bug report). It was over multiple days and resulted in about 500k decay.

I believe the problem is related to Brittle Brawn, but I am still waiting for a response from QA to confirm.

Be careful out there, sometimes having 120 hp means you have 20 hp. For those of us who are high level, a single death can mean a lot of XP lost.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I have expirienced the same but with usage shield in the earth magic. I had 300+hp get a hit for 240 = death.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I am speculating but there is/was a bug for quite some while were negative healing was shown in relation to the expiry of earth buffs. I wonder what happens if your actual HP are smaller than the bonus HP from crystal shield and the buff expires. Could that have happened to you?

4. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I think not, Crystal shield give me around 160 hp, it was boss fighting so I look for it to be actual(Also I used full random deck this time, so I always rebuff even if i have minute - 30 seconds before it will end ), it was not expired.

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

I always associated it with a lag issue... as if the HP bar couldn't keep up with the damage you'd take so that you'd die before the HP bar could update.

6. null2

null2 Avatar

This is repeatable at slow speeds. The bug I recorded isn't lag I don't think, can be easily reproduced.

7. null2

null2 Avatar

Just happened again at 184 hp. I thought I was safe higher than 150, guess not.

8. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Unless you already did please open a bug report when it happens (bug report function in UI). This way it is more likely to end up "at the right desk"

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Barugon like this.
  9. null2

null2 Avatar

10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

sorry, missed that when I was just reading the latest additions to the thread

11. null2

null2 Avatar

Apparently this is an issue relating to brittle brawn, but still have not got a response from support on my thread. If this is a known issue, why isn't it listed in the known issues list?

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

13. null2

null2 Avatar

All the "good news" bugs I find are ones I have to email support about.

Daxxe Diggler and Bow Vale like this.
  14. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the reports. We have identified the issue and a reliably reproduction case internally, and will be working on a fix asap.

While there may be other edge cases that allow others to get into a broken state, it appears the easiest way for players to stumble over this bug is when using the Ring of Brittle Brawn. We recommend avoiding the use of this item until a fix is implemented.

Thank you all again for bringing this to our attention.

Rentier, Daxxe Diggler and Solazur like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This just happened to me I had 82 hp, and died to a 32 pt hit from skeleton. I have suspected this has happened before to me but was unsure of exact health till this time.

Was not using brittle brawn but had all the str buffs and food on.

16. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Decay should be turned off until this is fixed!

17. null2

null2 Avatar

I worked with Attenwood on nailing it down. Hopefully will see a fix next release.

Have you noticed that you see some people in your party unable to get to full hp? Well that's related. Other people can see your true HP but the person can't. So it might show up as 500/550 HP, well that person will die when their HP shows 50.

Jens_T and Peabo like this.
  18. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

True, and I know some players who have been quiet vocal about it for a few releases now.

19. null2

null2 Avatar

I just updated the original posting. Avoid using Brittle Brawn! If you can't heal your party member to full HP, let your party member know! This should be fixed in less than two weeks.

Thanks to Attenwood for spending his Saturday looking into this.

Please respond to the bug report if you can provide any more info on this bug! https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ying-with-over-100-hp-left.97934/#post-863346

20. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Why not disable/force unequip this item during the next downtime to prevent people from losing progress to yet another bug that never should've made it into a production environment?

Hopefully the reliable reproduction case also includes test cases for future QA efforts that enable those testers to adequately understand and test mechanics similar to this in the future.

Peabo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.