Decay yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Decay yay or nay

1. yay!

60 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. nay!

110 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corv

Corv Avatar

What is your vote? Feel free to post why too.

Leelu likes this.
  2. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I voted nay, mainly, because they're giving all players 10,000 XP every day and limit the amount of decay one can "achieve" daily to make decay less painful, so why even have it.

Leelu, Mortanius, Ajivani and 2 others like this.
  3. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I don't feel like you're playing the game unless you're dying a couple times a session. I also feel that there should be some kind of penalty to death. At my current level the XP loss is very little and seems almost nonexistent on my second and third death. The item durability decay is actually more annoying and costly than the XP loss. Especially all of the low durability jewelry and tools. So I'm torn here.

Leelu, Chatele, Corvynn and 1 other person like this.
  4. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Should definitely be a penalty to dying. It just makes it more fun unless you are just in a race to max everything out.

5. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Voted yay, but with some reservation. I like that dying has a serious consequence, and I don't see a better way of doing it than exp decay. But I don't think it functions very well as a soft cap, so that part of the purpose is off the mark.

eli, Stundorn, Hunter OfSouls and 2 others like this.
  6. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Item decay is important too. Gotta encourage resource usage!

Mortanius, Corvynn and Athanil like this.
  7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

As I wrote and asked on telethon very often:
    Ok. But to calculate it in real time, while we are earning our XP in game time, isn't fair. The 10.000 each day means nothing, if you're Adv.lvl. 90>

And sometimes you die by accident, just logged in, have to run, because the door bell rings, telephone rings, children are crying, wife's asking something behind ...
    Okay, you know ;) You come back and - you're dead - 60.000 XP and more vanished ... for nothing.
    Skills lvl down ... 2nd death happens often shortly after the first one. (May be Murphy's law? ;))

Not funny for casual players who can logg in 1-2 hours a day. Because it means, the time was a waste ...

amaasing, Leelu, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  8. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Corvynn and Vodalian like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im adv level 88 or 89 and i die once or twice a day, never grind for xp (i hunt for loot instead) and the xp i get just from doing my casual mess (i roam alot of zones) is apparently enough to keep me advancing through my deaths, but enough to make me go “dammit” when i die.

10. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

So lets break this poll/argument down, one group(A) of people want to hold the other group(B) down because they can not or will not play as much as group(B)! So to balance this lower investment in game time and to make themselves feel better, group(A) wants restrictions on group(B) which are to impose death penalties that take back earned experience(Game Time) from group(B) also they want caps so group(A) can stop group(B) advancing! Then the best demand, group(A) wants everyone defined into predefined classes!

I Voted Nay as this has always been a bad idea from the start based on demands of group(A)

psteg, Ajivani and Corvynn like this.
  11. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Ummm... NAY...

I am adventuring level 92 now and I get hit with a 70k exp loss that unless I play with a group online in a dungeon takes me 4-5 hours to gain back. I talk to other friends in my office who play RPG to find out if the games they play have these types of penalities and they said they would quit the game if it did because they do not want to take 3 steps forward and then have to take them all over again when they die. You cannot "Unlearn experience you just learned" and they are good with a death penalty such as a constitution hit which is in other games. Say 15 to 30 minute hit or so I would be cool with.

Tamsen, Pikegirl, Chatele and 5 others like this.
  12. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I voted no to decay, but only because there are currently two penalties for death: Decay and a time sink at the anhk on resurrection.

They could remove either one in my opinion, but certainly one needs to be removed. Having two types of penalties on death is overkill.

Corvynn and Paladin Michael like this.
  13. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Decay should be worse, when you die, you need to start a new character. That is just my opinion.

Aiyarree, Savetti2 and jammaplaya like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is innaccurate

eli likes this.
  15. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

It just doesn't seem needed. If the point is to softcap players I think the system stands on its own. By the time you hit 100 the cost to level is pretty high and just keep getting higher AND the return for that level is pretty low and just keeps getting lower. The Decay factor is nothing but an annoyance near as I can tell its serving no purpose. It doesn't bother me either. Its just an insignificant part of the game.

Corvynn likes this.
  16. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm fine with there being penalties for death, whether the penalty is experience loss or something else, but I think the current system is needlessly complex and bad.

17. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

You mean it serious? ;)
    How many times would you start a new character, after dying?

Chatele and FrostII like this.
  18. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I voted nay. I am loosing 500k XP now on first death and already decided to stay away from our weekly weekend guild events, the main source of my deaths. Sorry @Lace

Chatele, Bayard and FrostII like this.
  19. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

What level are you? How long does it take you make 500k? I'd expect less than an hour given mac is hitting a million an hour. @Mac what do you lose?

20. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Failure always seemed to be enough of a penalty to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.