Decay yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Decay yay or nay

1. yay!

60 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. nay!

110 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I spend the majority of my time mining in elysium where i can get rough 30-40k an hour adventure xp. If I was to die at some point losing 300k xp would set me back 10 hours of my time doing my normal routine.
    Fast forward 12 months it would be taking me days of my time per death because the xp you get is also capped by the activity you are doing. The mobs are fixed xp and you are limited by the spawn so in 12 months time i might be losing 3m per death but still gaining 30k an hour.

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Now being base don an average earned in a time would work if it were an all-time average over a period. Otherwise you would jsut powerlevel, then sit out half an hour to compeltely avoid any decay at all.

3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I never solo content. I actually can't solo as it's really hard to heal things to death. I got to the highest levels by doing groups. Also they have fixed a lot of lack of good party exp since the last patch. The best exp in the game right now is not solo it's party content at control points. I do however agree that the grouping negatives sucks. They are especially bad in larger groups in most areas. This is something they are addressing and there will be a lot more group content coming out shortly.

kaeshiva likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And that's kind of the situation we're left with.
    If we want a classless, limitless (no hard cap) progression system, then people are gonna play, and they're gonna progress.
    I have said repeatedly I have NO issue with the existence of a decay mechanic of some sort to slow people down, although I do think the soft cap does the job well enough.
    Linking it to death is the thing that's having so many negative side effects.

Colgarra and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

With the new scene caps for XP, and the party size limits i think they could have more options for not needing to split XP at all. The only loose end to tie up is how would you prevent a newbie jsut standing there to the side while @Mac2 ( :D ) solos dragons and giving the newbie %5 mroe XP than if he soloed it himself.

Not the integration might get more complicated

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I doubt you'd just take a 30 min timeout, but if you did, well, its slowing you down, which is what its supposed to do, right?
    Something like Andartianna said about look at the last 4 hours gains and take a 30 min average might work better.
    Looking at all exp earned since the beginning of time is, well, silly. And that's what is happening now.

Colgarra and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Unfortunately there are always ways around any system. Right now the way around the system is you don't fight things that will likely kills you. I personally think having players sit somewhere and socialize to lower decay is a good thing. That could actually give a benefit to RP and Crafting.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and kaeshiva like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, if they gave a group xp bonus, you'd have people who'd just drag around an army of alt accounts.
    Its not a problem with an easy solution which is why I expect we haven't seen a solution.

Though honestly, if it weren't for a group penalty, well, then there'd be no reason for players NOT to go do things together, so you maybe wouldn't even NEED alts....:L

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, it would also allow lower level players to "contribute" just by their presence, or open up the possibility for additional support classes without feeling like you're "losing out" by letting more people join you.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

this should def be addressed. People of not the appropriate level should recieve 0 exp. You should have to be within 5 or 10 levels to be able to gain, and it should be scaled at that. It should also require being active in the encounter.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Oh yea .-. (is in favor of decay)

After further thinking about an average decay base don earne dover time, i disagree with it again now :p cuz theres no way to prevent gaming it. The casuals would unintentionally become the powergamers without even trying, and the folks who play more often would fall behind assuming they die

In order to prevent level gating and powerleveling at the same time so that bosses can give great XP, maybe all bosses could have a buff that adds health to them based on how many people are in your party. So that if you have a person in your party, it gets a 75% increase in health or soemthing

12. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Interesting how those who are not losing that much XP because of their level are ok with decay. Wonder how they are going to feel when they reach a level where they are losing 80,000 or even up to 1,800,000? When it starts taking one hour at least but more than likely 2 hours of your time to just get where you were. How is that going to feel? Is that punishment enough for you? How about when you are now playing four hours per day and because of RL issue you can only play 2 hours per day? So every day you play, you have to make sure you never die by killing MOBS far below your skill level because if you die each day you will spend each day just making up what you lost the day before. Will that be fun?

How are you going to like the idea that only 2 areas exist for you to get your XP back at a decent enough rate. And you will need to do those areas over and over and over again until you are sick and tired of looking at just one MOB for two or three hours every other day.

But then again you can just not die at all, do not adventure, do not even leave your house. After one year you will have 3,650,000 Experience points and you may be able to completely fill out one skill in one skill tree. Before you answer the poll above, please do not answer it where you might be now but where you hope to be in a year or more. If spending 2 hours or more every day making up for what you lost the day before brings a smile to your face then then you definitely want to say yay!

For me I like adventuring solo and with my friends, meeting a challenge head on. Doing so means I'm going to die, frequently more than once per day. Time means something to me. Wasting it making up what I had already gained is not the way I want to spend time in this game.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Colgarra, Mortanius, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Requiring activity is something many other games do - ie, you have to at least swing at the mob once or cast a heal etc. to get 'credit' - that's got potential

If we limited it to within 5 levels, then there'd be barely anyone many of us could group with and helping low level players would cease to be possible- further driving a wedge in group content. I frequently group with people in the 70-80 range, usually to help em out or just for the fun of doing something not by myself. Its less lucrative for me, but I don't mind, because I get the social benefit. As long as its nothing that will get me killed, lol.

Colgarra and FrostII like this.
  14. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I don’t have a better idea but artificially restricting XP because my friends have more playtime is a dealbreaker. I’d like to stay useful not perpetually useless.

15. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Oh, guess all is good in the world, you say so! ROFL

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This x1000.

I have no problem investing the time into the game - even years - to grow, develop my character, acquire stuff, whatever.
    What I do object to - strongly - is wasting my time.
    I wonder how many players over level 100 think decay is a good thing?
    (Ok Ok, I know there's a few masochists out there...)
    As I say, we're not even at launch yet ...think about down the road when lvl 100 is on the low end.

FrostII, Colgarra, Beli and 2 others like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well not really true. It might be something YOU might not be able to do but it would be something for someone withing those skill levels to do. It is not really your job to raise lower levels to higher levels, its something you enjoy. I expressed my feelings for this in a previous thread saying that why do we even play the game if we skip content and powerlevel. What is the purpose of even having levels. Why don't we start all at level 100 if we just all want to skip it? All those world builders and artists and game designers designing lower level content get absolutely no respect. Such a slap in the face because no one wants to play those levels.[/QUOTE]

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not think you would be useless, I believe you are a good person. If you think outside the box instead of working within confines you will get bored. What I would do is have fun, show some new people around. Do not finish content for them, but show them. Talk about lore. Talk about ultima. Talk about how to build a deck. So much you can do without giving people a free ride.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know its not my 'job' to group with lower level guildies to help them, or to group with anyone, but a 5 lvl limit is pretty constricting. We already have little to no incentive to group at all, adding this sort of restriction would make the problem a lot worse. I'm not saying the idea doesn't have any merit, but I just don't think its practical with the way things are currently. The Xp Split mechanism used to weigh toward higher level characters long ago, (they'd get a bigger chunk of the xp) but this was done away with, presumably again to make grouping accessible to all players without having to worry about calculating if it was going to be 'worth doing'. As it stands now, it IS beneficial for a lower level character to follow around a higher - but if it wasn't, then there'd be even less grouping than there already is.

And I don't necessarily mean 'powerlevelling' here - in fact, dragging people to 'silly' xp is something I wont do on principle - until they're reasonably invested in the game.

But following me around on a harvest run through the foothills, answering questions about the game, racing to be the first to get the cottonbush etc. is enjoyable. I lose some adventure exp, but I'm willing to deal with that, because I don't do anything to get me killed. If I wanted to participate in more challenging/dangerous content that carried death as a consequence, I'd be unable to do the casual grouping thing as I'd need every point of xp I could get to pay my xp tax, which is, well, dumb.

FrostII, Ravicus Domdred and Mac2 like this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I suppsoed putting your char's adv level intot he XP reward calculation could be a thing? But it'd still have to be worth partyign with higehr level people, jsut not WILDLY worth it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.