Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Deck swapping time

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok.. who's bright idea was it to make swapping decks have such a long activation time with no way to shorten it?

Now I can understand having it take at least a couple of seconds.. I can even understand not being able to move during the process.. but the current length of time it takes makes it practically useless to someone going solo.

I'm something of a purist. I don't mix magic with melee. I would like to incorporate some range into my build though and the way to do that is to start off with range.. lure them in with a couple shots and then switch to melee. But what good is deck swapping if I only get one shot and they're already on top of me giving me grief by the time I swap decks?

As it is.. it seems faster to exit combat.. open the interface and change which deck is equipped and re-enter combat than using the deck swapping skill.

How about a skill to speed this up a bit? Like say.. 30%? Just 1 second faster would be a huge improvement.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I brought this up last release, specifically because I think a dual-deck with a hand-to-hand weapon and a bow should be a regular build the devs should expect players to have, and it should feel fluid and great to use. I didn't test since last release, but as of then, the swapping felt kind of chunky. If you have a sword and a shield, the animation is extended for an even longer time.

In my view,

1. The swapping shouldn't take any longer than an animation to un-equip your current set of gear and a second animation to equip a new set of gear. Possibly with a short gap of time in between.

2. You should be able to do a swap while moving around. It would still take time to swap, and could be interrupted if you're hit. You could manually interrupt by pressing the swap key (X) a second time.

3. I still don't understand why it's necessary for the game to swap your armor in combat mode. Even if it takes the appropriate amount of time, I think there are still a lot of unnecessary problems that can come up. For example, if you, by accident, linked your second deck to a different set of armor, the swap will try to switch your armor, even if you're in the middle of combat.

Jivalax Azon and docdoom77 like this.
  3. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I only have one deck and accidently klick X at times and have to stand there and wait, yeah I should probably change key for it but still I'm not switching anything so what am I waiting for?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  4. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

I had the same thought about deck swapping last and this release. I tried to add archery to my bludgeon build for pulling/finishing runners. Deck swapping made it painful with that long timer bar.
    I ended up just dropping archery skills and added a couple glyphs of flame arrow for range. So much for my pure melee build.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It doesn't now.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yeah, i just gave up the idea of an alternate deck. it's not even worth it for town clothes.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I think that deck swapping should allow only to swap your weapons... or at the very least, behave differently (as redfish proposed) if you're only changing weapons. Don't agree on the interruption, though. If i'm putting away my bow to draw my sword hitting may delay it, but doesn't make stop and draw my bow again.

Jivalax Azon and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The time it takes the respective animations seems reasonable but then you can always adjust the animation times relative to skill.

I imagine some form of quick-draw ability. Either as part of focus or being calculated from weapon skill. The more skills you are the faster you can draw and lay on.

I did some testing in actual combat and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. but it still seems unreasonably slow at the moment. Also I can do without the animation that makes you look like err.. well at the moment I can't think of a tasteful way to say it so I'll say it looks ridiculous as a desk swapping animation.

Jivalax Azon, FrostII and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree completely with Bowen although if I'd raised this issue 2-3 people would have been screaming "instant gratification! We need more realism!"

10. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

I agree. I think the time it takes to swap decks should be dependent on what you are actually changing. If you are doing weapon only, it should be much faster than if you are doing weapon and armor. Each additional piece you swap out should extend the time beyond swapping just weapon.

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm..if you invest points in the focus tree and only change the weapon you are using in your two builds (as I have done, with no change to armor o_O), then deck swapping time takes only a few seconds (i.e., just long enough for the animation to occur) :) I do this fairly frequently to conserve my supply of arrows (even with ammo scavenger, they do go fast...:eek:) with no problems (i.e., long before my foes are able to attack me) :rolleyes:

Ravicus Domdred and Jivalax Azon like this.
  12. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

This was my thought exactly. For me it seemed to take as long to go from plate to town clothes as it did to switch weapons. BUT, I must admit I have not tried this release. Gabriel, if you're right, then I think it's fine now.

It seems to me that if it is not structured in a way that there is a switch time for each component difference to add to the total time, it should be. I expect it to take longer to get out of or into plate than it does to sheath a sword and draw a bow.

13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Chris has said that it is supposed to work that way (i.e., each component change adds to the total deck swapping time) o_O Since I have not tried swapping out more than one component at a time in this release, I can not be certain if that is actually occurring :confused:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

I have a third deck with my formal wear in place of my leather armor (with no other changes in that mage build) and deck swapping is fairly quick in that case too ;)

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wanted to swap my weapon with the coconuts. That works but then you can't swap back. :(

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

ohh, good idea! file a bug?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I did.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's taking a lot longer than the animations. At least 4 seconds for me. While each animation is very quick. At max range with my bow I can get 1 shot off and swap before something gets to me.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    are you just changing the bow? or armor also?

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You can't change your armor during combat.. and even if you could it's the same armor. In both cases it should say "hey that's the same armor" or "we're in combat so we're only doing weapons". I will try it with only weapons assigned.. I'm assuming that's an option.. but regardless the scenario results in I'm only changing weapons and swap time should reflect that.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.