Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

DEED ticket

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Lord John Whorfin, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

Let them. It benefits Port and this game if you are seriously suggesting that the volume will be enough to effect the odds of the raffle. Personally, I don't think anyone will think the $27,000.00 USD worth it to buy the 600 tickets that rednought allegedly did.

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You are misreading what I wrote.

If using direct-buy for deeds (not tickets), limiting it to 1 per account would not prevent "rich" people from buying up lot deeds.

If it was 1 ticket per account then the raffle would fail in a few ways - the gold sink would be meaningless and the value of deeds would be nil (unless they were raffling 1-10 per month perhaps).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

I did misread, thank you.

I could care less about the efficacy of their gold sink. The various attempts to micromanage inflation at such an early stage are one of the biggest mistakes Port has made, IMO. In any case, they aren't really billing this as a gold sink, they're selling it as the way to get housing without plopping down real world currency. Considering this, it would be more honest if they placed the raffle's ability to drain gold below player satisfaction with the mechanism.

Value of deeds will equalize according to supply and demand. The only way deeds don't retain value is if everyone that wants one, has the exactly the number and types of deeds that they want. Do you think Port would allow this to happen? I don't, because of their bundles. If they're releasing 675 deeds, you can be assured that the demand is far greater than that. They don't care how many players take a middleman cut because they know that eventually, the vast majority of those deeds get to the people that want to use them.

I believe that what you are really saying is that, unless those who have more gold are given the opportunity to buy better odds and thus a better chance to control an inordinate portion of the deed supply and take more resale profit, the raffle is a failure. Unless the system allows the big guy to fleece the little guy, it's a failure. I don't agree with this. On the other hand, I see that you facilitate transfers - I can see why a one ticket per account raffle would be bad for you.

4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Without gold exiting the economy, new players will never be able to earn gold to make purchases because their gold will be relatively value-less, thinks like crafting fuels and reagents and fast travel via scrolls and rent will have no meaning or choice. In my opinion. If rent is meaningless then so is tax-free deeds which sell for much more in the store compared to taxed deeds, and the taxed deeds may need to go up in price.

You are correct that value of deeds depends more on the supply of the deeds, I was in error with what I stated.

It sounds like what you want is basically them to give out 62000 tickets or however many accounts exist at 1 to 1 ratio, and to randomly select 675 people to receive a deed. But with this method gold is not exiting the game and a new player has no chance to grind up the gold to buy a deed from others because gold will cease to have value - there will be nothing to spend it on, and the only way to purchase will be to barter large numbers of resources perhaps, but for the players who kill monsters and earn gold by selling the loot to vendors over time, they will not be able to afford a second lot by this method.

I'm not sure what your proposed solution is for lot deeds.

I did not say this at all. I was saying the raffle was the best solution to this that I could see. Direct-buying deeds directly helped the rich is what I had said, and the little guys would get fleeced. The raffle means that while the big guys can buy lots of tickets, the accumulated number of small guys buying tickets means at least a chunk of the deeds are going to little guys. If there's 100 rich guys buying 100 POT tickets (100x5000x100=50M) and 10000 poor guys buying 1 ticket each(10000 x 5000 = 50M) then half the deeds presumably would be won by the poor guys.

I'm eager to hear how one ticket per account would be bad for me. The only thing that is good for me is fewer transfers and therefore less work. I don't see how any method of transfer would reduce my workload, I was very close to shutting down the free community pledge transfer service I've run for several years now and lo and behold when launch came almost everyone decided they wanted to keep their pledge, far more people staying after persistence than there were before persistence, so persistence in that regard has been wonderful. And items can be traded in-game for gold or resources using an in-game interface, I'm mostly answering questions now fortunately, so going persistent has been good for me.

5. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

What I envisioned was one ticket per account, not free but attainable (probably above current price point - double, maybe triple). It would still be a gold sink of sorts but a much greater chance at a deed could not be bought by someone that has 5% of the game's currency.

In your example 50% of the deeds go to roughly 1% of the participating population (assuming probability accurately predicts the real outcome). This 1% comes from the richest segment of the population and presumably already owns land. What, pray tell, will they do will their new taxed deeds? Attempt to sell them of course - probably to those who didn't have the gold to buy better odds in the first place. This should result in a greater demand for your transfer service than a more equitable raffle that puts a greater portion of the deeds directly into the hands of end users (those who will use the deeds to claim land).

While we're on the topic, I was under the impression that you run a sort of escrow service used mostly in the event that game items are exchanged for real world currency. I assumed you benefited from this service in some way. My apologies.

Inflation is a concern that should be managed to an extent (ie. gold sinks are necessary). It is my opinion that they have been overly aggressive with these sinks, to the detriment of the player economy and player sentiment. Keep in mind, the raffle is not the only gold sink in the game.

Gold should never become valueless if properly managed. The purchasing power of 1gp will, of course, diminish with inflation but it will never be entirely worthless. True, the magnitudes of the faucets and sinks (fuels, rent, etc.) will have to keep pace with the inflation lest new players get hopelessly left behind and the player economy grinds to a halt. But, you must have a critical mass of consumers with gold to spend in order start and maintain a player economy. If playing the game sinks as much gold as it creates, players will never amass sufficient wealth to buy from players. I believe this is the exact situation that we've seen since persistence. I'm getting a bit off topic; my point is that moving to a one ticket per account raffle will not cause game-breaking, runaway inflation.

6. moko

moko Avatar

Stupid math question... But aren't 3M gold not more like 2400$?

Bom likes this.
  7. Rasp

Rasp Avatar

$27000 comes from the 600 additional accounts one would have to purchase under a one ticket per account raffle. $45 x 600 (other than second hand, can they be bought for less? I don't keep track.)
    Edit: Steam has it for $40, so $24k if you can deal with all the Steam accounts.

You're right though, it's a lot cheaper to buy odds in the current system - even if you're using real life currency as the starting point.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. moko

moko Avatar

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification @Rasp - I didn't think of the possibility that anyone would consider buying a new account just for a free ticket...

Rasp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.