Deeds and houses and taxes, Oh My!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by grandmaJOY, Aug 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Hello all, I noticed that the newb POT Row Lot Deed that was given to me can be upgraded - and now I have questions:

1. Since I'm off-line, I'm assuming I would need to upgrade it since there aren't any POTs - is this correct?

2, This post from 2019 indicates that you can ignore taxes off-line -- is this still true?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/offline-question.157892/#post-1250662

3. Finally, can you own more than 1 house?

While I have bought additional crowns, I doubt I'll have enough to afford much, but I need more storage space and this seems like a good option.

As always, thank you for all of your advice and encouragement as I make my way in this brave new world<3

Elgarion and FrostII like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no, they made it so pot deeds work anywhere offline

oh yes! you can take over a whole town if you scrape up the deeds to do it

adding a basement and a dungeon to a single lot can give you a LOT of extra space too

Lord Stein, Elgarion, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You will also receive a Village sized deed as you progress with quests, so until you feel an absolute need for more deco limits, you can hold off upgrading your deed!

As for the Offline mode ignoring taxes, hard to say for sure myself, but I would try it. Claim your lot, dont put any taxes, in 2 weeks your lot WOULD expire. If it doesnt, enjoy the tax free lot!

Elgarion, FrostII, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

100%. my main "house" is a basement.

5. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Oh thank you so much for letting me know what's ahead! That certainly helps with planning. I really just want a place to put storage chests for now. I've been playing about 2 weeks so I'm not ready for BIG SCARY FINAL HOUSE commitments:eek: However, since I'm retired and my time is my own I've amassed a fair amount of interesting "stuff" bulging from my bank, my pack, and boy do I feel sorry for my new horse since I also wear heavy armor!

What happens after a lot expires? Do I "lose" the lot AND the deed? Or does the deed revert back to me? Or something else entirely?

FrostII likes this.
  6. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

:) Thank you for the quick, concise answers, Alley!

You and Violet have brought me SO much JOY this morn - know that I have a big ole smile on my face as I contemplate a nice starter locale:D:D:D

FBohler, FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Alley Oop

you lose nothing. everything goes to the bank and you have to place it all again.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You will be able to get hundreds and hundreds of COTO’s while killing, skinning and mining so just upgrade (right click on a lot deed in your inventory) all your lots to tax free.

Then your lots won’t expire unless you don’t log into the game for (120 days)?

grandmaJOY and FrostII like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can have as many POT lots as you want but, unless they changed it, you can only have 3 lots in NPC towns.

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Does that apply to Offline mode as well? OP is playing single player mode.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FrostII likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

they changed it. this was taken on qa just now

[​IMG]

13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings grandmaJOY and other avatars
    Two questions.....
    1. What is your ingame name GrandmaJoy?
    2. Question for other Avatars) If you buy something in online mode or someone send you a chest in the mail does it show up in off-line more?

14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

No, your in-game actions in the Online mode are separate from your off-line save files. All offline save files are independent, but are still linked to your actual account, so any rewards, pledge or crown purchases will be in your rewards window, even if you used them in offline. Crown store purchases don't sync, because the crowns are given back in their crown state IF they were purchased from Catnip Games.

Anpu likes this.
  15. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

OK basements it is. Basement-Dwellers UNITE!!

FBohler, Anpu, Violet Ronso and 2 others like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

You are moving along at an amazing pace @grandmaJOY , especially if you are doing it all offline! Hope you are having a great time.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I use offline as a place to test things and also to use whenever my internet goes down or I shut my internet off durring the monsoon season here in Thailand.
    Owning more of a town does make it look more lively. I haven't encountered any lot ownership limits or restrictions.
    Player Owned Town Deeds can be used to claim any open lots in NC towns. This is how many deeds it takes to own Kingsport.
    As you can see, other than my two SOTA Founder deeds, all my deeds there are the much cheaper player owned town deeds that I upgraded to tax free.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    grandmaJOY likes this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

And @Time Lord 's reply proves to us that there is no need to pay your taxes offline!

@grandmaJOY , Enjoy your tax free experience!

grandmaJOY, Tahru and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yes, but I upgraded those deeds before I realized it :p and one does not need over $30,000.00 worth of COTO to play our game o_O but I seem to...
    ~TL~o_O

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Aldo, Violet Ronso and Tahru like this.
  20. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I *am* indeed thoroughly enjoying the game and I imagine that is why I seem to have a good pace. Although to me, I am moving much slower than I normally would and loving it.

At the moment it feels like this game was tailored to me: it allows for interesting exploration, it slowly teaches me the game in a well-thought out and engaging fashion, and I love the combat! I'm quite bloodthirsty and care little for how I look as long as my gear is the best I can get. Houses are nice but not necessary as I really just like "killing things and taking their loot:mad:"

Too much killing has already taken its toll, thus this thread to help with the worst MMO Boss: INVENTORY!

FBohler, Time Lord, Alley Oop and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.